Stunning when a blow is struck to the head

Kent

Stunning when a blow is struck to the head

Post by Kent »

It seems to me that there should be a stunning chance when a blow is struck to someone's head or eye.

As a percentage chance, it feels like for every point of damage over 30, there should be a 1% chance of a stun. Ie, 2% chance at 32 damage to the head or eye, 20% at 50 damage to the head or eye, etc.

Stunning duration could be from 1 to 7 seconds, random.

I think a blow to the neck would offer a similar chance for a stun, but 1% for each point of damage over 40.
Last edited by Kent on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Kent "Gunney" Gunderman

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
jilliana

Re: Stunning when a blow is struck to the head

Post by jilliana »

The idea is a good one in theory.
Here's the problem...what we do to them also happens to us. I know I don't want to spend half my time in combat being stunned for 2-8 seconds.
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
Jirato

Post by Jirato »

jilliana wrote:The idea is a good one in theory.
Here's the problem...what we do to them also happens to us. I know I don't want to spend half my time in combat being stunned for 2-8 seconds.
That's pretty much my thoughts also.

Yes, it makes sense and would make things more realistic, but it'd also be a very significant "nerf", and we've already had quite a few of those recently.

There's at least one ability (Headbutt) that already does something similar though. Its stun duration is based on where and how hard it hits.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Kent

Post by Kent »

Jirato wrote:
jilliana wrote:The idea is a good one in theory.
Well, not really. You won't spend anything resembling half your time being stunned.

Remember, a 50 point hit to the head would result in only a 20% chance of a stun. If the player wears a plate helm, think how low a chance this will be. Also, how often does a mob land a blow to the head or eye at all...one in 5 strikes? When that stun does occur, it is of random duration, as low as 1 second. This will benefit the player more than the mob.

It would add a realistic flavour to the game and it would not even kick in during most 1 vs 1 combats against most mobs. Those tough mobs that can regularly deliver a blow of over 60 points to the head or eye are going to dust you off anyway if you are not skillful enough to dodge or parry them.
Last edited by Kent on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
- Kent "Gunney" Gunderman

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

Still don't like it. These days I'm going after critters that do all kinds of wack stuff to me, including knock me down. No thanks pal.
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
merin
CLOK Patron

Post by merin »

what if you're an elemancer that, unfortunately, can barely channel and be affective through leather, let alone plate?
Isiaa

Post by Isiaa »

Then what the heck are you fighting for? You should be sneaking around OR bringing someone to take hits for you while you hide behind them and lightly roast the enemy. As I've said before, elemancer task in what is considered a dangerous area should carry an additional warning(read encouragement) from the task giver to bring a friend or hire a mercenary.

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”