Looking for: A glossary of Admin terms

Kent

Looking for: A glossary of Admin terms

Post by Kent »

Maybe I missed it, but could there be provided for us uninitiated a glossary of terms for the words defining the non-players of CLOK: GM, SGM, Builder, Dev, and any other terms that we may not know exactly what they are for this world? I looked for such a list on MUDConnector and it told me each MUD could be slightly different, some have Wizards, etc. Thanks.

I was really happy to hear that there are two new builders! Then I realized I don't know exactly what builders do, and what they don't do.
- Kent "Gunney" Gunderman

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
Rias
DEV

Re: Looking for: A glossary of Admin terms

Post by Rias »

I'm not sure how accurately these descriptions apply to other MUDs - I've never done any MUD work outside of CLOK, I've only played as a player character.

Builder: Someone who works on making new areas, items, and possibly critters. They work on expanding the game world. They don't get any special behind-the-scenes knowledge besides what they need to build, so they won't get special lore knowledge or mechanics knowledge other than what's required to build their areas. This is not considered a lead-up to a GM position - Builders aren't GMs in training.

JGM: Junior Game Master. They mostly build like Builders do (including critters which are more complex), and play supporting NPCs in events as they learn more about GM stuff and are tutored by senior GMs.

GM: Game Master. They do things more independently than JGMs, and often take guruship over specific areas of interest. They'll likely have some prominent NPCs they play as part of their guruship.

SGM: Senior Game Master. These GMs are generally more active and involved, and fiddle with CLOK's more intricate innards, like code and mechanics. They also QC (Quality Control) things done by Builders, JGMs, and GMs.

Dev: Owner.
The lore compels me!

Return to “General Discussion”