charms everywhere

ydia

charms everywhere

Post by ydia »

So it would be neat if there was a way to use the charms after the festival, either a shop that buys them, or being able to attach them to bracelets etc. We can't sell them to the market, and I don't want to see a crate full of charms like usually happens. Maybe the special ones can be bought by librarians across the lands? Others might have better ideas, but I wanted to get this going. I could also see someone at the festival wanting to collect them too!
((DEV Rias)) gets tackled by angry librarians and thrown out of the library, managing to get out a muffled "Remember me!" before he's gone.

You overhear the bartender exclaim to a patron, "What do you mean, you just want water?! Fine, fine ... but you'd better at least buy something to eat."
Squeak

Re: charms everywhere

Post by Squeak »

It'd be neat if they could be used as currency at a special merchant at the fairgrounds, in which you could turn x-amount of them in for a random piece of treasure from the generic Loot Tables, or from a special Cloktum-themed Loot Table. Or the merchant uses the BARTER system (which I have no idea how it works) and has wares that swap out daily, pulled from Loot tables, various NPC merchants, and/or the festival itself.

Provide a way for new, ability-less characters to get fun stuff from the fest without needing to frivolously spend their limited riln resources.
ydia

Post by ydia »

Squeak wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 4:32 pm It'd be neat if they could be used as currency at a special merchant at the fairgrounds, in which you could turn x-amount of them in for a random piece of treasure from the generic Loot Tables, or from a special Cloktum-themed Loot Table. Or the merchant uses the BARTER system (which I have no idea how it works) and has wares that swap out daily, pulled from Loot tables, various NPC merchants, and/or the festival itself.

Provide a way for new, ability-less characters to get fun stuff from the fest without needing to frivolously spend their limited riln resources.
Oh I love love this idea! Squeak wins!
((DEV Rias)) gets tackled by angry librarians and thrown out of the library, managing to get out a muffled "Remember me!" before he's gone.

You overhear the bartender exclaim to a patron, "What do you mean, you just want water?! Fine, fine ... but you'd better at least buy something to eat."
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Squeak wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 4:32 pm It'd be neat if they could be used as currency at a special merchant at the fairgrounds, in which you could turn x-amount of them in for a random piece of treasure from the generic Loot Tables, or from a special Cloktum-themed Loot Table.
This is actually a pretty spiffy idea! I'll see if I can come up with a quick way to do something like this before this Octum is over.
The lore compels me!
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Per the in-game announcements on ESP and the town board:

"The folks at the Octum Festival would like to announce that a humble shrine to the Pumpkin King has been set up just inside the entrance! The shrine has been lovingly set up by Hrulna, a shepherd in service to the Pumpkin King, and there is a large stone pumpkin-lantern there where I'm told you can place some of those Octum charms or totems to bring out a little of their power with the help of the Pumpkin King!"

I thought it would be neat to have a way to spend and utilize the charms based on what they're actually themed to be. I'll let people experiment to find out what exactly they do! If anything ... maybe this is all just a bunch of nonsense and the Pumpkin King isn't real. (Pffft. Doubters.)

Head over to the shrine and READ the sign as well as ASK the NPC there about stuff to potentially learn some new lore tidbits.

P.S. They also sell pumpkins that you can CARVE into various types of pumpkin-lantern, if you really want to get into the spirit of things!

P.P.S. Excess charms and such may mysteriously disappear not long after Octum is over, so there's no point in hoarding them. Use them now and get something out of them!
The lore compels me!
Lysse

Post by Lysse »

Rias wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 12:17 pm
P.P.S. Excess charms and such may mysteriously disappear not long after Octum is over, so there's no point in hoarding them. Use them now and get something out of them!
Does this apply to octum charms that are studyable/lore items? I like to keep ahold of one of each lore item so I can easily reference them in game without having to fiddle around with copying/pasting and adding to a folder, but if they're going to disappear I'd rather know now than later so I can just throw all of that lore into a text document off-game instead.
“I will tell you precisely what Royalty is,” said Intra, “It is a continuous cutting motion.”
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

No, we'll just reduce stacks of them down to 1. Feel free to keep whichever ones you want for study or RP or curio collection or whatever other purposes! I just didn't want people to fall into the Consumable Item Trap of "well maybe I'll save them for use another year, I might need them later." Use them now and enjoy their effects instead of leaving a pile of them to eternally gather dust in some forgotten corner of a locker, essentially.
The lore compels me!
Lysse

Post by Lysse »

Rias wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 1:41 pm No, we'll just reduce stacks of them down to 1. Feel free to keep whichever ones you want for study or RP or curio collection or whatever other purposes! I just didn't want people to fall into the Consumable Item Trap of "well maybe I'll save them for use another year, I might need them later." Use them now and enjoy their effects instead of leaving a pile of them to eternally gather dust in some forgotten corner of a locker, essentially.
Appreciate that, thank you!

As a related suggestion (so people don't end up squirreling away stacks of 1 all over the place) - the much requested Display Case would be particularly great for something like this, letting us digitize/store 1 of an item per case so that a little while after Octum ends, you could just make anything NOT stored in a display case disappear (and have multiple varieties - big standing cases meant to go in vaults and homes that have a pretty high limit of number of unique items stored, and smaller display cases that PCs could carry around a bit like a dye case, except make it limited to 10 or 20 or so items).
“I will tell you precisely what Royalty is,” said Intra, “It is a continuous cutting motion.”
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Could we get a list of the charmseeking trinkets that the shrine accepts?
Adresin

Post by Adresin »

The ones I know of are pyramids, totems, and the flame charms.

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”