The brofist style!

An elite group of brawlers, street fighters, and ruffians.
Acarin

The brofist style!

Post by Acarin »

I'll start by saying that I'm aware that the brotherhood of the fist is a loose collection of brawlers and they are not "martial artists" in the eastern sense... they are still, however, martial artists and they are taught by Arlen, who likely has a very defined combat style. In a previous conversation with Arlen, I remember him stating that he had traveled around and learned combat techniques from a variety of places. I'm curious about what his hybrid style actually is like and how it differs from common brawling practiced by the untrained. I know I'll probably get the answer that it's just street fighting, but there are even distinctions in that and different styles. So really, what does Arlen teach? It must be distinct from other brawling.

I'm asking because:
(1) This is a huge aspect of rp for a brawler. Brotherhood members knowing the principles of their "style" will allow for greater rp...especially during sparring, training, or talking shop to other students of Arlen. As an example, whenever I offer brawling, melee, or dodge training I try to give out a few pearls of combat wisdom to the person I'm training as the messaging does little to explain what you are actually teaching.
(2) This will help to better define abilities and the extent of what brofists are capable of. Having a well defined combat style, in my mind, is important in defining the progression of combat. I don't get a clear idea of how brofists fight from our current ability pool and I think that coming up with a more clear concept of their fighting style might help to differentiate them from more casual brawlers... particularly at the "mastery" level. It might also create the opportunity for new ideas. I realize the GMs are busy right now and not really working on new abiities. This is fine and I'd like to stress that I'm not pushing for new abilities, but I'm talking more in the long term here.

Some things to consider:
(1) Are we a "hard" style or a "soft" style? This is largely an eastern concept but in reality, applies to western systems of combat and even street fighting as well. What this essentially asks is whether we tend to be passive in our fighting or the aggressor. There are differences in stances, attacks, and time between the two. I'm simplifying this quite a bit, but a hard style will attempt to overpower an opponent through aggressive attacks (direct attacks, generating significant force) while a passive style will be more reactive and attempt to use the opponents force against them (tying up hands, quick blinded strikes to vital areas, redirection, etc). Currently, a hard style would be supported by the abilities brute force and heavy blows, however, considering that brute force is only active in tactics offense, it would seem that by choosing an offensive tactic, we are deciding to use a hard style. This suggests that our normal state is potentially passive (possibly supported by improved dodge, etc.). I should note that there are multiple styles, both eastern and western, that use both (but most tend to favor one over the other).

(2) What is our basic combat stance or stances? Is weight equally distributed between the feet? or do we favor a 30/70 split? How wide are our feet? How are they angled? What is our hand position/guard? Do they guard the center line or the sides? Do they guard the face or the chest? One hand down and one hand up or both hands up? Is one hand in front of the other? Are they constantly shifting during combat or are we trainined to return to our basic guard? All of these thing have implications on how we fight. No trained martial artist will sit there with his hands down, fully upright during combat... and the basic stance says a lot about how one fights. Obviously, one shifts between different stances during combat, but the basic stance is very telling... and the foot position is often determined partly by number (1) with hard styles favoring a more even distribution of weight and soft styles favoring more weight on the back leg. The hand/guard position, as well, is partly determined by this with passive favoring an outer guard and aggressive favoring the center line guard, although there is probably more flexibility here.

(3) What are the basic principles of Arlen's style? What do his teachings revolve around? Conceptually speaking, what is important to remember as a foundation? Does he teach breathing and relaxation during combat? Fluidity of movement? Redirection? Posture? Economy of movement/directness? Pure generation of force? What are the fundamental concepts that a student would first learn and build on?

(4) What is his repetoire of strikes? Do they favor boxing strikes? Are they equally balanced? Does he try to eliminate ineffective strikes? Is there anything besides headbutts and heavy punches that are unique to him?

(5) What does Arlen favor as far as defenses (i.e. parry and dodge). Does he prefer to redirect with parries, or block? Does he favor efficiency in blocking (force against force) or opening up for follow up striking? Does he prefer to move back to avoid, or move in to engage and open up the opponent?

(6) Does Arlen teaching targeting? Currently this is not reflected in the ability pool or combat system, but is an important component of fighting. The same strike to different locations is not the same.

(7) Is the style all striking and retreating? Are there locks and throws (I realize these are not implemented, but in theory, would there be), or potentially limb breaks?

(8) Does Arlen consider some targets (i.e. groin, etc.) off limits or does he go for maximal effectiveness? This question is really because I'm not sure if his style is for him to have fun with his students while sparring (i.e. a tournament style) or if it's made for real combat and survival.

(9) What type of physical activities does Arlen trainn his students with? Does he show them actual techniques? Or just give them pointers? Does he have specific combinations that he teaches? Does he make them do push-ups until they drop or punch while holding weights? Does he make them hit hard objects to toughen their hands? If I practiced with Arlen directly for a while, what would it be like? Would he just fight me and give me pointers or would he run drills?

I'm not trying to redefine things or go into areas that the GMs would prefer not be defined. I think that knowing this type of thing, however, would create great rp opportunities and provide a lot more flavor to the guild. I'd like to see brofists be distinct, to some degree, from untrained brawlers in how they fight and establishing this sort of thing is a start. I'd like to also once again reiterate that these components apply even to street fighting/brawling and are not strictly eastern (although some things would be more likely to be seen with an eastern style).

I can take a crack at defining the style further as I see it if the GMs or players would like, but let me know... I don't want to put out the effort if there is already documentation/lore concepts or if this is entirely unwanted.
Sneaky

Re: The brofist style!

Post by Sneaky »

I'm no fighting expert, but I believe they sort of just hit people and animals with various parts of their bodies until either they, or their victim, stop moving.
[FROM Liani (OOC)]: It's an ice cream conehead
You also notice a bronze crossbow bolt (x8) and the corpse of a slender pale white cave drakolin.
Alila softly compliments, "Thank you for the story--you were all excellent."
[CHAT - Lore Hermit Rias (Retired) (Discord)]: @Alila is crazypants
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

Sneaky wrote:I'm no fighting expert, but I believe they sort of just hit people and animals with various parts of their bodies until either they, or their victim, stop moving.
Yeah, you're definitely no expert!
Vaelin

Post by Vaelin »

Sorry for necroing this topic.

I myself am rather curious about Arlen's style of fighting. maybe some guidelines or at least philosophy from the master would be great rp material. I find that I'm lacking rp fuel to play my brofist these days.

Return to “Brotherhood of the Fist”