Furniture: dresser

sona

Furniture: dresser

Post by sona »

I think it'd be really handy to have a piece of furniture, like a dresser that functions a bit different from current containers, if code can allow for it. My hope would be for something like:

open dresser drawer 1
put blouse in dresser drawer 1
closer dresser drawer 1
open dresser drawer 2
put trousers in dresser drawer 2
close dresser drawer 2
open dresser drawer 4
put socks in dresser drawer 4
close dresser drawer 4

ad nauseum.

It would probably require the use of the second term for each command, but I think that's a much better compromise for organization's sake than having 5 wardrobes, and having tops in one wardrobe, bottoms in another, dresses/gowns in a third, etc.
Kunren

Re: Furniture: dresser

Post by Kunren »

sona wrote:I think it'd be really handy to have a piece of furniture, like a dresser that functions a bit different from current containers, if code can allow for it. My hope would be for something like:

open dresser drawer 1
put blouse in dresser drawer 1
closer dresser drawer 1
open dresser drawer 2
put trousers in dresser drawer 2
close dresser drawer 2
open dresser drawer 4
put socks in dresser drawer 4
close dresser drawer 4

ad nauseum.

It would probably require the use of the second term for each command, but I think that's a much better compromise for organization's sake than having 5 wardrobes, and having tops in one wardrobe, bottoms in another, dresses/gowns in a third, etc.
I -THINK- I've seen something similar somewhere.
Life is like a box of chocolates. The caramel filled ones are the best.
Akila

Post by Akila »

I want this, despite having no logical room in my wagon for one!
[CHAT - Mayor Bryce of Bryceburgh]: It's that funny metal thing you put in your mouth, Galon, and then it goes "Boing, doing, dwang, dwang, doing, ding, boing, dwahng."
04:06:02 [CHAT - Mayor Bryce of Bryceburgh]: You know, the thing Snoopy plays to help Charlie Brown remember "i before e, except after c"
Jirato

Post by Jirato »

This isn't really something I'm willing to code right now. Maybe if I get some inspiration but right now I'm just thinking about the stuff I'd have to modify for this to work, and I can't think of a way to do it without rewriting a significant portion of the container and target finding code.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

I'm just curious why simply owning a dresser and putting everything in it isn't good enough. All putting seperate drawers on them would do is make them a pain to use. I get immersion, but organizing my sock drawer is something I would prefer be left OOC.
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.
sona

Post by sona »

lets say you have 30 socks/stockings, 20 dresses, 25 tops, 25 bottoms. That's a lot of sifting in jumbled, mixed up strings that I can't focus on, or read. When I struggle with skim reading straight lines like that, in no organized fashion looking for stuff, I feel like my best current option is seriously considering getting a screen reader.

On ideas to tackle it that might be easier than a lot of coding:
maybe have it like a nested container. desser+drawers. then you just get items from drawer 1, etc. The big coding change that'd be needed here, is the ability to put stuff directly into a nested container. We can already take stuff out of a nested container, so long as it's only 1 deep. ie: a backpack in a wagon, you can "get <thing> from backpack" to get stuff from the backpack in the wagon.
Xyra

Post by Xyra »

Have you tried 'look in dresser list'? It helps out quite a bit for me when going through that sort of thing.
sona

Post by sona »

Yeah, but even with that, which is great, if the quantity of objects is relatively small, unless I take a good amount of time, and read through the list a couple of times, my eyes just have trouble with larger lists. If I colored them alternatively somehow, that'd help, but that seems a lot harder to manage. I mean, this isn't a game breaking issue, nor one of any major importance, It'd just be a nice thing that would let me organize stuff more nicely. After all, there is nothing wrong with having 5 chests with different clothing slot stuff in each.
Xyra

Post by Xyra »

You could set up a macro to auto-sort them for you if you'd like.
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

sona wrote:lets say you have 30 socks/stockings, 20 dresses, 25 tops, 25 bottoms. That's a lot of sifting in jumbled, mixed up strings that I can't focus on, or read. When I struggle with skim reading straight lines like that, in no organized fashion looking for stuff, I feel like my best current option is seriously considering getting a screen reader.

On ideas to tackle it that might be easier than a lot of coding:
maybe have it like a nested container. desser+drawers. then you just get items from drawer 1, etc. The big coding change that'd be needed here, is the ability to put stuff directly into a nested container. We can already take stuff out of a nested container, so long as it's only 1 deep. ie: a backpack in a wagon, you can "get <thing> from backpack" to get stuff from the backpack in the wagon.
Heh. Not sure if you were serious, but screenreaders don't make skim reading very feasible, just FYI.

As for the topic of the post, I found that for Jilliana I use different containers for different types of things. Dressers for socks, blouses and pants, trunk for shoes, wardrobe for coats, dresses and skirts, etc etc.
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
Jirato

Post by Jirato »

jilliana wrote: Heh. Not sure if you were serious, but screenreaders don't make skim reading very feasible, just FYI.
Not sure if this helps any since I don't use a screen reader, but have you tried this:

look in (container) list

Give it a shot.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

Jirato wrote:
jilliana wrote: Heh. Not sure if you were serious, but screenreaders don't make skim reading very feasible, just FYI.
Not sure if this helps any since I don't use a screen reader, but have you tried this:

look in (container) list

Give it a shot.
I haven't tried it, but that already looks promising. Thank you.
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
ydia

Post by ydia »

I agree this idea would be cool, but lots of coding for Jirato.
You overhear the bartender exclaim to a patron, "What do you mean, you just want water?! Fine, fine ... but you'd better at least buy something to eat."

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”