That tingly feeling

Fayne

That tingly feeling

Post by Fayne »

So, I finally thought to address this like I've been meaning to for a while. I know we have a lot of things that are really OOC and need changed (like changing your hair color, which last I checked was removed for now, and depart of course), but there is one of these mechanics that has never really been brought up: mail notification.

The problems with it that I can see: Why do we get a tingling sensation? And where is this sensation located exactly? Is it a physical tingle, or a mental one? If it is mental, that makes a bit more sense, but it seems to be a physical tingle, and I'm not sure what would cause that. Also, what does the feeling that you have mail feel like? It can't be a feeling like you should check your mail, because that's a different feeling that can be described differently.

Obviously this is kinda on the line between OOC and believable, and I think it can easily be changed to make more sense. For instance, that tingling sensation can be made in your mind, transmitted over the ESP network. The way I could see this working is you could have a pendant that is specially tuned to each person in a way that allows that person to be contacted directly, but offers limited communication, thus the slight tingle. Alternatively, it wouldn't be out of the question for the tingle to be a foreign presence in your mind, which would certainly be a mummer working for the postal service. This is supported by the fact that you would get an anxious feeling to check your mail, which is something I believe to be within the abilities of the mummers to do, and is much less vague than a feeling that you have mail. Of course, this anxious feeling would be very brief as to explain why we don't immediately want to stop what we're doing and rush to the post office.

What do you guys think? It's a small detail that doesn't get seen often, but I do believe it could use a makeover. Leave your opinions and ideas.
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.
Rias
DEV

Re: That tingly feeling

Post by Rias »

It utilizes ESP. If you don't have a pendant on, you don't get the tingles. The feeling of having mail is ... the feeling that you have mail.
The lore compels me!
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

So mail is pretty much just as boring in game as in real life? Dang, bothing can make snail mail exciting. Although it's hardly snail mail in CLOK, considering they utilize Star Trek transporters to beam packages to their destination. Hehe
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I don't know, I'm always super excited when I get something (non-junkmail) via snail mail, and that was the case even before email and all this new-fangled stuff to make me nostalgic about the olden ways of yore.

Out of curiosity, what was it about CLOK mail that you wanted to be more exciting?
The lore compels me!
Ardor

Post by Ardor »

Rias wrote:Out of curiosity, what was it about CLOK mail that you wanted to be more exciting?
Stamps with Ardors face on them.
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

Maybe we could have the postal worker sing the Blues Clues mail song to us whenever we have mail and check it?

Here's the mail, it never fails, it makes me wanna wag my tail, when it comes I wanna wail "MAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIL!"
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

Maybe the post masters should just start yelling "MAAAAIIILLL!!!" at us when we receive mail, instead of that feeling. We should be able to hear them across the map. :)
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

I could get behind that. Give them some opera-level criers like the infirmaries have.
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

I was thinking it would be interesting for the cryer to announce every hour for people to check their mail. This would obviously only occur if one is in a major town. Otherwise, the tingling sensation is fine by me. I have always found it to be kind of cool.
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

Jill just likes the way the tingle makes her feel. ;)

Return to “General Discussion”