Cold to brutal

Vitello

Cold to brutal

Post by Vitello »

Wet from rain and cold weather is just to rough. Personally I've given up on farming for the time being. Aged players may know how to handle it but a newb trying to gather herbs is going to die a lot.

You design impressive systems but sometimes they're to rough. I suggest a more 'newbie' centered town, tropical or something so it doesn't have cold weather.

Depth can be amazing, but it can also be overwhelming.
Avedri

Re: Cold to brutal

Post by Avedri »

Campfire and wool cloak. =)
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Mistral Lake and the surrounding area usually has pretty mild weather.
The lore compels me!
Vitello

Post by Vitello »

Bleh. One more reason to move out of the outpost.
Vitello

Post by Vitello »

Cold damage just moving within the outpost and standing in the workyard? Seriously?
Noctere
Coder

Post by Noctere »

Regarding the Outpost:
Many of the denizens of the outpost are not bothered as much by the cold as you are. Plus the area is quite nippy so the best you could hope for is to huddle down in your house and think warm thoughts. I suppose if they enclosed the workyard with a wall of sorts it would keep warm but as of now, it is quite an outdoor place and the chilly wind may come and go as it pleases.
It's not easy being evil...
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

If it's bothering you so incredibly much, you may want to procure a set of fur gear, which is the toastiest. Wool, flannel, fleece, tweed, and sheepskin also count as warmer materials. Silk and satin, while useful for showing how wealthy you are, tend to not be as protective against cold. (I know Vitello is a snazzy trader, which is why I bring up that last point)

Don't forget to wear stuff in your neck and socks slots, which many people omit. Scarves are a nice option for those who don't want to wear neck armor. Also, don't forget a cloak/overcoat - they help a lot. Headgear is often omitted by those who don't wear armor - find a nice hat.

All that said, wearing all the toastiest of toasty gear still won't keep you warm forever. You'll eventually need to go inside somewhere and warm up. Altnernatively, gather up some firewood and make a campfire - they warm you up even outside, and are easy to light now that they require kindling and tinder as part of the campfire creation process.

You'll only take damage if your temperature has dropped dangerously low - it's not affected by movement. If it's cold and raining, or you're drenched for other reasons (maybe you just cleaned off at the well, or a silly elemancer sprayed you with water, or something) then you definitely want to huddle indoors somewhere as soon as possible until you've dried off and warmed up. Being wet increases the rate at which you freeze by a huge amount.

If there aren't any buildings in Corvus that aren't "particularly warm" in the last line of the room properties, maybe you can convince Noccy to add someplace with a lit fire. Maybe Murky's Pub or something? Alternatively, if you have a home that doesn't already have something to make it warm, see about getting a wood-burning stove or something added.
The lore compels me!
criticalfault

Post by criticalfault »

So i do think this is a problem but one that can be address easily enough. one is that starting players need to be told that some areas you can freeze to death in. ive had a few friends quit wholesale after starting the mud because they started in shadgard. i dont mind shadgard, but for newbies who just freeze to death while learning to play? they are going to quit because they wont understand whats going on. two newbies should be given a few hours of immunity to cold for a little while, even if its an hour. during that time they need to be told "hey, your freezing to death, you need to get wool or whatever clothing or move to a place that isnt so cold, try going north" or something like that. Thats my two cents!
Jhordon -(Struck by lightning) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X69NaSUdzzA
Cigano - (Friends on the other side) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZAY-78zhmw

Return to “General Discussion”