Scale Leather

Landion

Post by Landion »

Basilisks I can see perhaps having large enough scales. They're basically huge snakes, on steroids. ;) So maybe they have tough enough scales to justify scale leather.

Shardlings... I'll need to update them to be skinnable. But they're more like these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ankylosaurus

At least in my mind. With more spikes based on the environment. So perhaps them too. I'll have to think on it. I'd imagined their skins being more like stone than skin.
Last edited by Landion on Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No longer GMing for CLOK.
Skjotur

Post by Skjotur »

For people who want to make scale leather but can't fight these tougher creatures, why not just make it possible to make traditional leather scale? Maybe add in another step after tanning light leather, like CUT SCALES. This will have you cut the pelt into scales and leave you with "some leather scales" that you can then use like drakolin scales leather to make leather scale armor.

I do think it's cool that you have to be capable of taking down these dangerous creatures, or find someone else who is, in order to get the natural animal versions of scale, and that those kinds are a little more resilient to reward that.
Last edited by Skjotur on Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and numbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear the coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me - I am happy.
-Hamlin Garland
Skjotur

Post by Skjotur »

I don't want to waste scales in experimenting, so I'm asking here. What happens if you use multiple colors of drakolin scales? Does it end up without a color described, show up as something like multihued, or use the first or last of the scale colors on the table, or something else?
Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and numbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear the coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me - I am happy.
-Hamlin Garland
Landion

Post by Landion »

Hrm, where I just hacked stuff together quick I didn't even take that into account, so basically right now it will randomly pick one of the colors from all the parts when you use 'trace' and that's what the piece will be afterward. Trace basically combines them all into one with the correct weight of what you're making. (Aka deletes all of them but one, and changes that one to be ready to leather craft.)

I'll have to adjust this to go with the multihued option when I get a chance.
No longer GMing for CLOK.
Skjotur

Post by Skjotur »

That would be cool. Maybe make it so you need at least 3 different scale colors for multihued, otherwise it could be "some gray and green drakolin scale armor".
-Hamlin Garland
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

Most exciting moment in leatherworking ever:

You finish working away at some masterful gray drakolin scale boots with your slender black bronze dagger, adding some final touches.
You smile as you look over your work, realizing you've managed to create quite the masterpiece.
Last edited by Acarin on Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
20:21:01 [CHAT - (a mysterious GM)]: With obvious effort, Zuki pries up a thick scale over a drakolin's chest! Zuki spearhand-strikes the soft, unprotected area under the scale! Heart ruptured, death follows immediately. A drakolin lets out a final bellow of rage and falls lifeless to the ground.
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

I noticed that drakolin scale gauntlets enhance brawling like metal gauntlets (except they degrade very quickly on hits). They also add to rt, and cost more energy than bare-handed brawling (like other metal gauntlets).

This seems strange to me as leather gauntlets and rigid leather gauntlets don't impact brawling. I agree that drakolin scales are fairly hard and probably should enhance brawling. This brings up two problems though:
1) They are lighter/more flexible than rigid leather gauntlets (that do not create a penalty or impact brawling in any way). I don't think they'd hinder a wearer's brawling like metal gauntlets.
2) The durability is a lot lower than metal armor and therefore they degrade extremely quickly when fighting with them.

Any chance they could provide a damage bonus to brawling without changing our speed and costs? Since these are higher end items, this might be a cool benefit to drakolin scale gauntlets. Also, if these remain as weapons, perhaps the durability of the gauntlets in particular could be looked into (or maybe gauntlets in general experiencing breakage from strikes can be considered as they're doubly exposed to damage being armor as well).

I know the normal energy costs (compared to reduced costs with barehanded) and the rt increase was originally to provide incentive for monks to go bare handed over using gauntlets, but it's not just monks with stone fist who brawl anymore. Perhaps this gauntlet mechanic could be revisited in light of all the brawling changes (as they seem to be a bit outdated)? This probably isn't the right thread for this last request but...

EDIT: Removed something I retested that was wrong.
Last edited by Acarin on Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
20:21:01 [CHAT - (a mysterious GM)]: With obvious effort, Zuki pries up a thick scale over a drakolin's chest! Zuki spearhand-strikes the soft, unprotected area under the scale! Heart ruptured, death follows immediately. A drakolin lets out a final bellow of rage and falls lifeless to the ground.

Return to “Leathercrafting”