Suggestion: Replace Warden Combat Abilities

Maina

Suggestion: Replace Warden Combat Abilities

Post by Maina »

I suspect this is low-priority, even on the off chance anyone agrees with me, but it struck me as a little odd. I'm not sure if the longer-running Wardens are aware, as I think there have been some pretty big changes since they joined, but Staff to Stave is required to begin learning Druidry. I only discuss abilities here that I believe are also available to the Udemi, so I hope this isn't considered spoiling any secrets or anything.

As Wardens of the Grove are meant to be, to my understanding, a more non-combative Druid guild, it seems strange that an ability that has no use outside of combat flexibility is mandatory to start out (though I think you can unlearn it later on).

So Staff to Stave only has combat use (the ability to switch from ranged to melee when necessary without carrying a secondary weapon). Thorns is much the same (adding lethality to otherwise weak staves). One could say Tangle Root and Brambles are also combat abilities, but they seem just as useful in avoiding a fight, so I'm fine with those. Druidic Connection is kind of borderline, but I can see it still being useful for the Druid that needs to care for the more dangerous regions.

I, personally (again, unsure what other Wardens think) would like to see Staff to Stave and Thorns replaced with something that fits the Wardens better. Certainly it would be nice to not require one of them to begin learning Druidry in a non-combat guild.

Rias had mentioned in another thread that there was consideration for a Druidry spell that worked as a poulticed bandage for its duration, though it was rejected at the time. It seems like a great fit for the Wardens, though, who already have some focus on natural healing via herbs and poultices. Perhaps this could be considered as a replacement for Thorns? Named something like "Blood of the Salamander" or "Salamander's Boon." I would imagine that's far too strong for an entry-level ability though. Even if it only worked on animals, it would be nice for healing the injured animals and horses we sometimes see, and would be in-line with Warden themes and as an entry-level ability, I think?

As for a replacement "gateway" ability, as Staff to Stave works currently, perhaps an expansion of Druidry's ability to sense plants and animals, as evidenced by the message you receive when surveying and foraging while channeling? Something like 'Beast Sense' that notifies you of nearby animals susceptible to Druidry? Or even have it work like a reskinned Track, with 'You feel the recent passage of a bear heading north through the Gaea" or something to that effect. Some relatively minor utility like Staff to Stave presently is, but more geared towards the Atros/Madrim theme of plant and animal Wardenship.

Honestly, I'm not all that strongly opinionated on what the replacement abilities should be; I just felt like Staff to Stave felt very strange in comparison to the guild and its other abilities, particularly as a gateway to Druidry. It and Thorns seem the only pure-combat abilities and kind of stick out that way. Again, I understand this is probably really far down the priority list, but it would be a really neat change from my perspective.
Last edited by Maina on Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
[FROM Zeldryn (OOC)]: STOP BEING AMAZING. IT'S AMAZING.
Lun
CLOK Patron

Re: Suggestion: Replace Warden Combat Abilities

Post by Lun »

That's a cool read. I don't know anything about the guild but as I read your post, I saw this suggestion:
Rias had mentioned in another thread that there was consideration for a Druidry spell that worked as a poulticed bandage for its duration, though it was rejected at the time. It seems like a great fit for the Wardens, though, who already have some focus on natural healing via herbs and poultices. Perhaps this could be considered as a replacement for Thorns? Named something like "Blood of the Salamander" or "Salamander's Boon." I would imagine that's far too strong for an entry-level ability though.
After reading it I got really excited and thought to myself, wow, what a great idea. I wanted to comment that a druidry spell that could function as a 'magical bandage' sounds friggin awesome and I one-up this suggestion. Even if it didn't work as a poulticed bandage, I could see a lot of great use out of a spell that works as a regular bandage.

I'm not sure if the wardens are not combat focused as I know nothing about them at all. They are not as ferocious as the Dunwyr, certainly, and aren't singlemindedly fighting the Resen like the Udemi, that I do know. All my experience RPing with one has shown that they're generally calm and peaceful but can get ferocious like a mother bear protecting her cubs if someone treads on their domain.
Maina

Post by Maina »

a druidry spell that could function as a 'magical bandage'
I probably misrepresented the Lore side of it a bit by calling it a bandage spell.

Rias explained that the Gaea can modify living things with the capabilities of other living things, which is how Chameleon works. In this case, the Gaea would be granting a boon of enhanced natural healing, like certain lizards and other creatures exhibit naturally. As such, it would provide natural regen much like poulticed bandages, but it's not a magic heal like Thaumaturgy or anything along those lines. Just enhanced natural regeneration.

But yes, I saw that idea and really liked it, which spurred me to finally post these thoughts I'd had going in my head for a while now.
[FROM Zeldryn (OOC)]: STOP BEING AMAZING. IT'S AMAZING.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I don't have much to add, but I did want to chime in with an "I wants it, Precious"
https://youtu.be/fcOlb2RrdFM
(For our VI users, this is a video of Link from Breath of the Wild riding a stag)

Return to “Wardens of the Grove”