Wyrvardn Abilities

A revived Aetgardian order of warriors dedicated to making the lands safe once again.
Bryce

Re: Wyrvardn Abilities

Post by Bryce »

Teek wrote:My issue is, one of the big things stamped on our gear says "Courage". Kinda hard to explain running away half the time because things are bigger and stronger then you.
Standing against something that you know is going to pulverize you isn't courageous, it's reckless and foolish. If you're doing it to try and protect someone else in the room or something all appropriately noble, that's an exception of course. Courage doesn't translate directly into combat capability, and everyone understands that. Deciding to retreat and regroup or call for help isn't a lack of courage, but I'm sure your enemies'll try to spin it that way to taunt you and goad you into pointlessly getting yourself killed. Then someone else is put into danger trying to rescue you, and people get annoyed at some Wyrvardn getting themselves killed to try and prove a point because they have "COURAGE" written on their team shirts.
Gralkik wrote:if you try to footstomp or nutkick solid metal, it's just not going to work.
Because that's the appropriate countermeasure immunity. It's not just due to the player wanting to RP their character as someone who shrugs off pain. The appropriate countermeasure immunity to magical fear is magical fear resistance. It exists, it works. See Chant: Courage. If you check your effects, it says "You feel moved by some supernatural force." while buffed by chants.
Gralkik wrote:Point is, we have this skill IG: (Meditation)
You can't train that skill. I know some magical abilities that boost it, though.

Just to be clear, I think we all agree that it would be great to have some nonmagical ability that people can take to resist fears somewhat. One already exists with Stalwart, but that's exclusive to templar (I think?), and I always assumed that was due to the severe templar discipline and mental training that prepares them for thaumaturgy (magical), which the Wyrvardn don't subscribe to, so that's why Wyrvardn don't get that ability.
ask jes for date
The horse thief Jessie doesn't seem too interested in talking about that.
Dorn

Post by Dorn »

Groin kick works vs plate FYI.
~Dorn
Uyoku takes a bite of her smelly skunk poop.
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

I don't see you wearing plate underwear ;)
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Kiyaani wrote:I don't see you wearing plate underwear ;)
WTB cobalt codpiece, contact Bryce.
ask jes for date
The horse thief Jessie doesn't seem too interested in talking about that.
Teek

Post by Teek »

This is why I felt it best and easier to just transfer existing skills from other guilds instead of having to try to make sense of something and come up with a different way to do it that is totally unique and different from everything and everyone else. It leads to all sorts of debate and discussion about the who's and hows and whys that makes coming up with the ideas almost pointless to begin with! Who knew wanting some mechanical "Courage" would set up paragraphs of responses?

At the end of the day, yes Templars do lead a different lifestyle, one that is needed in order to cultivate their inner light. It is a form of discipline. I believe Wyrvardn have the same sort of Discipline in their lifestyle. They have an Honor code after all. It's all over the team gear. The wording of some of the templar abilities implied to me they were Physical/Mental exercises that were used to bring about a certain mindset or desired result. That makes sense to me, and is not something that I felt related to the inner light thing at all.

In the end, I think what me and Gral are trying to say is that it makes sense to us, with courage being one of our central things, that we would have abilities that aided with that. If not abilities, then a potion. If not a potion...maybe a charm relic, something. A horn we can blow like the Horn of Gondor that snaps us out of gibbering. But, I also realize that the game was never meant to be balanced, and that we are supposed to be joining guilds for the RP. Enough people have seen my RP that I think I do alright. However, my RP is going to be effected if I'm giving a rousing speech about facing our fearsome foes in battle, and to remember honor and courage, only to charge in and mechanically piss myself because, you know, that's just the way it be.
preiman
CLOK Patron

Post by preiman »

So it might be worth mentioning that magical fear is not just seeing something scary, it is more like forcibly flipping the blind panic switch in your brain. With that understanding of it, it makes sense that the ability to shrug it off is something extraordinary. It is not an act of cowardice to succumb to it. Maric does, on a often. I'd love to see anyone call him a coward.

As to wyrvardn having discipline and training the way Templar do, as a group, that really isn't so. That is not an insult, it's the point of both guilds.
Our resistance's are part of our training, but mostly they are a literal blessing even we don't understand, but that comes from our devotion and the life we lead.
"I don't think we're ever going to find out what is going on with these canim, where are they coming from?!"
Kent arrives from the southeast.
Kent hugs you.
say um
You say, "Um."
a Mistral Lake sentry arrives from the east, armor clanking.
Kent heads north.
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

This brings up another more global issue, actually. For any type of attack, there should be a countermeasure one can employee (whether it is available to a particular guild or not). These are usually in the form of skill checks (with a defensive skill that can be trained):
Melee vs. Dodge/Block/Parry
Ranged (Magic/Archery/Guns) vs. Dodge/Block
Stealth vs. Perception

The only thing that cannot currently be guarded against are mental magics. As far as I understand, they have a flat chance to be successful and it's usually rather high.

This means that once a mummer has learned all their abilities, they do not have to work to increase their effectiveness and are equal in ability in their guild. Casters that use fear (Rooks, nethrim, the spider people, dwaedn, dunwyr, etc) also do not have to work to increase the effectiveness of that skill. As there is no way to train defense, this also means that the skills are equally effective on someone that has masterful training versus someone fresh out of character generation. To me, it creates a very large imbalance.

I'm very much for having a skill (or two skills) for mental magics (fear, mind fog, etc.) that is (are) both offensive and defensive in nature and requires training/grinding just like everything else. I'd like to see this skill be publicly available and not just for specific guilds but it doesn't make sense to me as an ability without magical support. I don't see why a wyrvardn in particular would be able to resist such things better than others though.

I propose a magic "projection" skill for offense that is specific to guilds that use this type of magic and that "meditation" be re-implemented and used as a defensive skill (with some means to learn it).
Talyn

Post by Talyn »

While I have been playing a Wyrvardn for about two years, on and off obviously, however, I have been trying and trying to think of an ability that Wyvardn need. While I do not think we need combat abilities as nice as they would be Wyrvardn aren't magical, at least not yet. Perhaps the Ancient Wyrvardns of old were and it would be cool to discover something of theirs *cough cough* the War-hammer that was already found even if I wasn't apart of that event, and gain knowledge about the old Wyrvardns. Anyways I'm getting off topic now. I do have one ability I thought would be interesting to have seeing that the Wyrvardns are kinda like knights. I see them as inspiring people at least Talyn can be when I role-play him that way. Most Wyrvardn that I've seen play, Jilliana and even Caleb tend to go down the same path.

So I would suggest, Inspiring shout, this ability is something we can do in battle that we either chant or shout an ancient wyrvardn war cry or saying and our party gains a buff from it. Could be flanking bonus or even a slight advantage in combat. I don't see it being a benefit to the Wyrvardn himself more as a party thing as they should be working more closely with the people of the Lost Land. Just food for thought if it doesn't go that's cool too. Just something I was thinking about last night.
Talyn

Post by Talyn »

Another Idea I had while fighting Drakes with them roaring, I get everyone in Clok is human but Wyrvardn are the "knightly" order or well at least an order bound to defend Arad or at least the Quaratine from threats. It's why we go after Bandits, Infested, and Netherim. Nothing "evil" goes unnoticed with the guild. At least that's how I've viewed it. So I was thinking of the ability:

Wyrvardn Courage

It would give 20% or if that's to much 10% more resistance towards fear and fear like abilities, or at least allow them to maintain guard while feared.

Inspiring Shout

Inspiration of being a Wyrvardn is known acrossed the lands when a Wyrvardn in battle shouts their battlecry it can give them and their allies a small advantage in battle, even if it's just flanking advantage or something of that sort.

If I can think of more I'll add onto the post!
Divos

Post by Divos »

Wyrvardn Ideas:

Rallying Shout
Requires rank 10 Wyrvardn
Wyrvardn are meant to be the protectors of Arad, while they're not Templars they still do the dirty, gritty work behind the curtain at times. However, during trying times they rally the people in battle so that morale does not falter. Being the image of Honor, Strength, Tenacity, Prowess, and Courage, they are can bolster their group in combat.

OOC: The wyrvardn gives out a rallying shout boosting their party's defenses (insert imaginary number here), however, the Wyrvardn does not receive the bonus themselves. They are meant to be the stalwart protector. This effect would only last a few rounds of combat.
Note: I see the Wyrvardn, less so as a solo organization and more one that should work with other players. Allowing players to receive a bit of a bonus for being with them.

Warhorse barding
This topic has been mentioned a few times, but for those Wyrvardn who would like to be cavalier would benefit from it. Wyrvardn are not necessarily knights but many play them in a knightly fashion.

Wyrvardn Chainmail horse-barding: This chainmail drapes over the horses neck and down along the barrel of the horse. A metal plate covers the blaze of the horse's nose. Decretive cloth of Navy blue cover the chainmail around the saddle of the the Warhorse, on one of the flanks of the cloth, a five-pointed star with the letters, S, H, C, T, P at the points of the star.
Cost: 15000 to 20000 riln (Material cost makes sense to pay riln over Guild points)
Could be equal in chainmail strength for damage reductions, strengths/weakness as well as weight
Divos

Post by Divos »

One more!

Second Wind
Wyrvardn rank 5
A Wyrvardn is a stalwart protector of Aetgard, they do their best to when it comes to the form of defending someone. Through their prowess and hard work of they can take a moment to gain a second wind in battle granting them a small amount of energy needed to keep up a fight or that little bit needed in a life or death situation protecting someone.

(user) takes a few moments focusing on the situation at hand. Their breathing steady and their nerves calming, catching a second wind
(+25-50 energy) Cooldown 5-10 minutes.

I shouldn't be something that can be used very often for balance reasons. Ideally it's for situations where you're guarding a group and become exhausted quickly due to combat.
glare

Post by glare »

I'm in favour of abilities that are as different from other guilds as possible. I'd like to see this guild get the ability to call targets. Basically forcing everyone in their group to target whatever they mark.

Ability name: Selectors vow/ vow of animous / Warder's mark
through intensive mental training to brush aside the chaos of the battlefield the warrior learns to call targets with decisive no nonsense barks of command.
OOC
Reassigns the target of everyone in your group to a target you mark.
preiman
CLOK Patron

Post by preiman »

I’m going to voice a hard objection to any ability that somebody else could use that would make me change my target, or perform any other combat action against my will
"I don't think we're ever going to find out what is going on with these canim, where are they coming from?!"
Kent hugs you.
say um
You say, "Um."
Kent heads north.
glare

Post by glare »

preiman wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:22 pm I’m going to voice a hard objection to any ability that somebody else could use that would make me change my target, or perform any other combat action against my will

I mean, as written it wouldn't lock your target, just change it when the ability was used the once. If picked up abilities like this usually would come with a toggle in anycase or some design feature that didn't force anything.

Even without it..., Presumedly there is no ability in the game that forces you to join someone's group is there?
preiman
CLOK Patron

Post by preiman »

Big difference between me voluntarily joining someone’s group, and them being able to make me attack somebody.
Kent hugs you.
say um
You say, "Um."
Kent heads north.
glare

Post by glare »

I think there's been some misunderstanding. The proposed ability doesn't force you to attack. It just changes your target so if there are priority targets like shades over skeletons in a room, everyone aims to take out the shade first when they do attack.

Is the involuntary nature your only objection? otherwise what do you think of the ability?
Divos

Post by Divos »

Wyrvardn's Resolve

Stuns are not something anyone likes, they're a great way to control battles and while I do not want something to counter stuns I thought that a Wyrvardn would use their Order's code, Honor, Courage, Strength, Tenacity, and Prowess. Courage is one that is used very often, it takes courage to take up arms against those who cause trouble in Aetgard, it's courage to go into a battle against all sorts of things from Netherm to Infested.

Wyrvardn rank 5

(Users) calls upon the oath of Courage to strengthen their resolve as a Wyrvardn.
(Energy -25)

This would allow the user to reroll mental powers like fear, it can be life or death situations when you are trying to protect someone or fight against a creature that can fear you in place. This would be an ability that doesn't negate fear like Templars just simply rerolls them for a chance to break free. It would have a cooldown of like 2-5 minutes if need be for balance reasons.
Terris

Post by Terris »

Bumping this because since this thread died the Wyrvardn have LOST abilities, not gained them, and are now reduced to a single ability and a super cheap shop.

I really feel like the Wyrvardn are a Templar-light guild. Or, really, Templar Sans-Light as the case may be.

Except the Templars even have non-light related abilities that spring off of protector's vow (the one ability Wyrvardn do have) that Wyrvardn don't get.

Furthermore, I definitely feel like Wyrvardn deserve to have something that makes them unique, aside from armor that will become obsolete in the late game.

And before you try the 'but it's about the RP!' line, just don't. This game has absolutely no motivating or rewarding factors for RP and until it does RP is and always will be an afterthought, not a primary motivator.
Divos

Post by Divos »

Hello! Been a while since I've been on here, but I wanted to say. Wyrvardn are not Templars nor are they Templars without the Light. While they are Guardians of Aetgard they are not bound by a specific code the Templars are to keep their light. how they choose to protect Aetgard is completely up to them, since Honor is a word. your honor may differ to my own. Now don't get me wrong, I want them to gain a few more powers but they're not Templars. If you look at Jaclyn in Shadgard's Barracks you'll see she uses a musket and lighter armours. The other thing about Wyrvardn is that while they're an organization that works together they may end up fighting against each other which is something undesired as an organization. Wyrvardns may choose that the Mistveil Dominion has a good idea of how they wish to bring peace to the Lost lands..but another Wryvardn may choose the free will of Shadgard might be a better idea. Personally I have always viewed the Wryvardns are folk who should seek out relics of the old Kingdom but that has just been my opinion of the guild when I played. Now if this RP changes via GM's then fine but that's how the Wyrvardn's have been since I started one years ago. Again, would be nice to see more Wyrvardn only abilities but just wanted to voice, Wyrvardn are not Templars nor Templar like.
Terris

Post by Terris »

Divos wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:10 am Hello! Been a while since I've been on here, but I wanted to say. Wyrvardn are not Templars nor are they Templars without the Light. While they are Guardians of Aetgard they are not bound by a specific code the Templars are to keep their light. how they choose to protect Aetgard is completely up to them, since Honor is a word. your honor may differ to my own. Now don't get me wrong, I want them to gain a few more powers but they're not Templars. If you look at Jaclyn in Shadgard's Barracks you'll see she uses a musket and lighter armours. The other thing about Wyrvardn is that while they're an organization that works together they may end up fighting against each other which is something undesired as an organization. Wyrvardns may choose that the Mistveil Dominion has a good idea of how they wish to bring peace to the Lost lands..but another Wryvardn may choose the free will of Shadgard might be a better idea. Personally I have always viewed the Wryvardns are folk who should seek out relics of the old Kingdom but that has just been my opinion of the guild when I played. Now if this RP changes via GM's then fine but that's how the Wyrvardn's have been since I started one years ago. Again, would be nice to see more Wyrvardn only abilities but just wanted to voice, Wyrvardn are not Templars nor Templar like.
As this thread is about Wyrvardn Abilities, and not Wyrvardn Politics, I'm referring to them as "Templar-Sans Light" in the context of abilities, and not RP. If you want to create a separate thread to discuss what you're talking about, feel free to do so. Seeing as the single ability Wyrvardn have is also an ability Templars have, in the context of abilities, which is the context of this thread, they are Templar-lite.
Noctere
Coder

Post by Noctere »

Terris in the Mummers post wrote:But Mummers are supposed to be an RP guild. Which I'm not even sure what that means, given the state and nature of RP as I'm seeing it in 2021. Any feedback on that would be appreciated.
Reading over your post, as well as others in other topics, it sounds like there may be some sort of disconnect as to my understanding of RP and what your understanding of what RP is or what you feel it should be. Also some confusion as to the main purpose of factions in the world of CLOK. So please allow me to describe how I understand these and, in the process, hopefully I can better understand yours.

First off, the original purpose for all factions in the world of CLOK is, first and foremost, for roleplay. People should avoid joining a faction merely to "get cool abilities" or to "buy this cool weapon". That would be like me becoming a Somali pirate so I can ride in a cool little boat or becoming a catholic monk so I can wear a cool robe and learn to speak latin. You character's background, personality and life choices should be what determines which faction they join, if they ever join one at all.
Terris wrote:And before you try the 'but it's about the RP!' line, just don't. This game has absolutely no motivating or rewarding factors for RP and until it does RP is and always will be an afterthought, not a primary motivator.
I am curious as to why you would join a roleplay enforced MUD if you do not enjoy roleplay? We do try to cater to a degree of the meta-gaming mentality with fun abilities and interesting mechanics but those are only there in addendum to the roleplay world. Otherwise this would be a purely numbers game and instead of imagining fighting with a sword you pull out a calculator and shout equations at a chalkboard. Also, please keep in mind that I am technically the balance guru GM and I was one of the first players to keep large excel sheets of raw weapon and ability damage data. So, I can understand this mentality but have never forgotten what CLOK is all about.

For many players simply sitting in one room and roleplaying their character is rewarding enough. They don't need some sort of material gain or mechanical benefit to do this nor do they need any sort of guided GM event or hand-holding to feel like they are a part of the world.

I do strive to keep a balance between fun mechanics and a realistic roleplay environment but from what I have read of your posts, you do not seem to enjoy roleplay and feel cheated when you join a faction that primarly focuses on who they are rather than what they can do.

However, getting back on track as to your original question. We are not looking to add any more abilities to the Wyrvardn at this time.
It's not easy being evil...
Terris

Post by Terris »

You make an AWFUL lot of assumptions about me and my roleplay, seemingly without having actually interacted with me in the game. Very very wrong assumptions.

The fact of the matter is you guys have created a sandbox which rewards certain behaviors, but not others. RP can be considered its own reward, yes, but sitting in a room talking about the weather doesn't really do anything to advance my character in any way, even if I talk about it in a funny accent.

People frequently talk about the 'lore' of the game, but frankly, there is minimal lore in the game at all. There are no libraries describing battles of ancient times, no descriptors of the settings. There's basically no support for RP in game at all, and directing people to a wiki that is supposedly player run doesn't count. That's what I mean by it being an afterthought.

Many people recently have complained about the lack of RP on the game. If you look around, what do you see most people doing? Skilling up. Whether they're artisans, elemancers, Dwaedn Wyr, whatever.

You guys should really examine the oustanding population of "RP guilds" vs "Combat Guilds" and ask yourselves if you've created the mudding environment you actually want, that motivates the type of gameplay that you claim you want.
gralkik

Post by gralkik »

Terris wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:41 pm
People frequently talk about the 'lore' of the game, but frankly, there is minimal lore in the game at all. There are no libraries describing battles of ancient times, no descriptors of the settings. There's basically no support for RP in game at all, and directing people to a wiki that is supposedly player run doesn't count. That's what I mean by it being an afterthought.

Many people recently have complained about the lack of RP on the game. If you look around, what do you see most people doing? Skilling up. Whether they're artisans, elemancers, Dwaedn Wyr, whatever.
There is significant lore in-game; it requires RP to really learn of it with other players. In all my years playing this game (6 or so years), there is a point grind at times, but other times there can be a lot of RP. RP is solely on the shoulders of the PC. If there isn't enough RP, then take some initiative and generate positive, healthy, fun RP that everyone will enjoy playing. People also sometimes want the relaxing grind of their characters rather than deal with RP's negative sides or be engaged in negative/toxic RP (because who even really wants to be part of such?) RP is on the player. Players can run events. In this sandbox, there are always options and avenues to find RP and Lore. This is the way.
Terris

Post by Terris »

If the lore isn't available to new players and characters, then it doesn't really exist in the game, it exists in the minds of the players.

Again, if that's your design, so be it, but then don't harp on people who don't know your lore if you're not going to offer them a way to learn it from the game.
glare

Post by glare »

gralkik wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:07 pm
Terris wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:41 pm

There is significant lore in-game; it requires RP to really learn of it with other players. In all my years playing this game (6 or so years), there is a point grind at times, but other times there can be a lot of RP. RP is solely on the shoulders of the PC. If there isn't enough RP, then take some initiative and generate positive, healthy, fun RP that everyone will enjoy playing. People also sometimes want the relaxing grind of their characters rather than deal with RP's negative sides or be engaged in negative/toxic RP (because who even really wants to be part of such?) RP is on the player. Players can run events. In this sandbox, there are always options and avenues to find RP and Lore. This is the way.
I don't believe it is correct or healthy to place the responsibility for generating roleplay on the players alone. It should be a team effort otherwise we sort of end up in this null zone where so many MUDs are of players doing endless amounts of roleplay without any progression.

How the interaction between players and staff actually takes place is completely up to the management but when you frame roleplay in the fashion of its a player owned responsibility to generate it then the game goes from being a game for fun to work and most people play games to escape work and responsibility so it defeats the purpose of logging in.

This might sound unbalanced at first but at the end of the day the staff accepted the responsibility of being staff to make the game for everyone else. The only responsibility players have is to respect the rules of the game, the community they share with everyone else and have fun.

Also to prefusely thank the staff for giving up the right of being funf reeloaders to actually make the fun part for us possible. And for the few willing players to courteously support them in whatever effort they are putting forth and recipricate it in kind when they do ask for help or a repreave. or at least, thats the opinion I hold on how things ideally should work.

I've been a longtime supporter of staff taking breaks from being staff to actually play the game for some portion of the year so new staff can be rotated in, but sadly a lot of MUDs in general seem to have a problem where the staff are in a limbo state of perma responsibility and so burn out, drift away or leave projects hanging for months at a time as they take rightly deserved breaks from constant management.

I also wanted to echo terris's sentiment of lack of lore. Whilst i don't agree that lore doesn't exist in game, the access to the lore itself is low. Now, I had a sense that being the lost lands etc, there is not going to be this big repository of history and information and indeed. I feel knowledge should and would b kept under lock and key given the fallen state of society and the greed of the factions to ensure some kind of security and control but even for that level of post apocalyptic paranoia I feel the lack of information is still too low.

80 percent of the lore I am aware of is OOC and I've been playing for nearly a year regularly at this point. My character realistically has seen the hints of old cities and what might have happened to them and such like that but in the IC environment he doesn't know any details of even a rather big event like the inquisition or Mistlake's forced pale soldier enlargement program.

the rumor system is lovely but isnot and I don't feel was meant to be a substitute for lore wholesale and whilst players are given some tools to record events, said tools are not intuitive enough to perminantly record lore and keep them organized in such a fashion as to be accessible to new players without,, in one case,, joining a guild to ruffle through their board and letters.

All this and I am one of the few players it seems who's characters will go out to super dangerous locations above their own skill simply to read room descriptions and see if he can figure out what happned to this village that was clearly inhabited recently. Even when I do find something, most players I ask about a mystery come back with. "No idea boss. Haven't even heard of that" / "Yeah I've been wondering about that thing for years."

My point that ,, I hope,, comes across is that there is a great deal out there and whilst I do find the game fun enough to log in for now. Its mostly to reach a riln goal I've committed to and for me, watching my bank account grow is fun for the time being. After that point I will likely return to my more mechanics and grinding focus till I get bored. I feel that the game's built in systems and even help and suggestions from other players hasn't adequately taught me to interact with the environment in such a way as to win the kind of engagement that would encourage me to focus more on my roleplay.

TLDR, if there is lore and engagement to be had, it should be loosened up a little to flow more freely. Lack of access is equal to non existence and whilst I feel that Terris is a little aggressive at times in how he words it. I do find it a little discourteous to be told, you just need to do X as a response. if I needed to do X for this last year and haven't been doing it already then the game needs to automate a way to have taught me to do X sooner. As is, I feel like with the way the think ritual and request systems are implemented vial manual approval at every step. it places an untennable amount of work load on the staff and fails 70 percent of players IMO.

P.S.
In no way was any comment I made above meant to offend anyone. I hope its taken in the constructive manner in which it was written.

Return to “Wyrvardn”