Making a plank from a flitch - the wrong tool?

Kent

Making a plank from a flitch - the wrong tool?

Post by Kent »

I know nothing IRL about carpentry, so this is less of a suggestion and more of a question.

It seems to me, it would be a plane and not a saw to process a plank from a flitch.

Anyone with any real life experience able to comment?

planor.jpg
planor.jpg (86.88 KiB) Viewed 5643 times
- Kent "Gunney" Gunderman

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
Rias
Lore Hermit

Re: Making a plank from a flitch - the wrong tool?

Post by Rias »

At this point, carpentry may well be scrapped and rebult from the ground up.
The lore compels me!
xavier

Post by xavier »

a planer is used mostly to shave wood so you achieve a flush, level plane on a side. If you were to try and use a planer to make a flitch or a plank you accomplish two things.

1. have an extraordinarily smooth plank and probably three times as much weight in shavings.

2. Waste a whole lot of time as a hand planer usually only takes off about 1 to 2 mm per swipe. Mechanical planers can take off quite a bit more but obviously we don't have those.
Rain falls steadily to the earth.
The gore has been washed from you.
The blood has been washed from you.
You are splattered with gore!
Rain falls steadily to the earth.
The gore has been washed from you.
The blood has been washed from you.
You are splattered with gore!
criticalfault

Post by criticalfault »

Remember too that if your cutting something with a multiple blade bypass (Such as in a saw mill) it can achievement this near smooth finish in "one" cut. You can shove a tree into it and get a few boards out the other side. The joy of 48 inches of whirling steel in sets of three to five! WHEE!
Jhordon -(Struck by lightning) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X69NaSUdzzA
Cigano - (Friends on the other side) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZAY-78zhmw
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

I think that's what flitches are, and planks are just cutting them into smaller pieces - hence, saw. But yeah, I know next to nothing about carpentry, both in and out of game.

I do share Critical's enthusiasm about sawmills. Wheeeeeeeee!!
The lore compels me!
Elystole

Post by Elystole »

Rias wrote:I do share Critical's enthusiasm about sawmills. Wheeeeeeeee!!
I just wish they'd be less enthusiastic about lopping off our hands. We're getting (what would normally be) career-ending injuries with surprising regularity. Does logging skill reduce the chance for injury?

I'd say the same for trees falling on us, but I actually dodged a tree the other day. Woosh!
You overhear the following rumor:
"I saw one of those Shadgard folk come barging into Grif's and shoot one of the patrons on the spot. Shadgard must be a pretty rough place with such outlaws running rampant."

Return to “Carpentry”