An overview of the accounts system

Announcements that don't fit into another category.
Jirato
DEV

An overview of the accounts system

Post by Jirato »

Very shortly, I will be disabling the /login and /register commands, and replacing them with a new CONNECT command. This is the transition to the account-based character management system that I've been working on over the past year or so.

There are a few things to know about accounts, and I felt it's easier to mention them here than try to dump it all in the DEVLOG.

1) Email Validation
An account will be limited to a single newly created character using a guest nickname until its email address is verified. You will be sent a 4 digit validation code to the email you registered your account with. If for some reason you have not received your code, please email our support address from the email you registered with to prove your identity, and it will be provided to you. Check your spam/junk folders first and ensure you are not blocking emails from the clokmud.com domain. One your email is validated, the import legacy character, set account nickname, and toggle account nickname options will become available to you, as well as the ability to create additional characters beyond your first.

2) Importing legacy characters
Importing is a one-way deal. There is no way to transfer characters from account to another. Not that you should be sharing your characters with other people to begin with, but if for whatever reason you import someone else's character, there is no way for them to reclaim it. Do not import characters you do not own. (The legacy character's password will be required during the import process)

3) Nicknames
By default your account nickname is the same as your account name. You may change this one time only to a nickname of your choice. The nickname you select must be unique and not shared among other account or character names. From the menu when you first connect, you may select to display either a randomized guest name, your account nickname, or your character's name for OOC communications. This option can be toggled at any time from this menu, but cannot be changed while you are actively playing (will require you to log out and back in). The setting is remembered, so if you have it set to show character name on one character, then switch to another character, that new character's name will be used unless you go back into your nickname options and change it again.

4) One account per person
The account system is intended to be a one-per-person deal. As a result, we will no longer be automatically blocking connections from the same IP address. However, if we find later down the road that one person has been controlling multiple accounts, either simultaneously or separately, the accounts in question will be banned. If you are playing with a room mate/loved one/etc from the same location, feel free to drop us an email at our support address to let us know, including both your and your friend's account names. This is not mandatory, but may help preemptively clear things up if there's ever any suspicion that someone is multi-accounting.

5) Password security
The password reset feature has not yet been updated to address the new account system, for now, if you need us to reset your password, email our support address from the email address your account is registered with.

6) GM accounts
If you are a GM, wait for further instructions from me on Discord prior to creating an account for your GM persona. You can create a player account as usual, but do NOT import any GM/NPC characters to it.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
preiman
CLOK Patron

Re: An overview of the accounts system

Post by preiman »

so i think i found an issue, if you drop connection and your character stays logged in, you can't log them back out so you can log back in, you have to wait until the character times out.
"I don't think we're ever going to find out what is going on with these canim, where are they coming from?!"
Kent arrives from the southeast.
Kent hugs you.
say um
You say, "Um."
a Mistral Lake sentry arrives from the east, armor clanking.
Kent heads north.

Return to “General Announcements”