Death about to become more dangerous

Announcements that don't fit into another category.
Jirato
DEV

Re: Death about to become more dangerous

Post by Jirato »

I'll go ahead and say talk about it if y'all want. I think my asking folks to keep quiet about it is kinda harmful. I just like people figuring out stuff, but it's not some super puzzle or anything, though Delve's post did make me laugh and makes me regret not making it more difficult. It's just a simple PAY command same as you would do with an infirmary healer or anyone else that you owe debts to. (And please don't just spam pay everywhere trying to find it, it'll be cool if you, you know, actually looked for the pyramid).

But yeah, I really don't want anyone to lose all their items just because they couldn't figure it out. So work together to figure it out if you need to.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
ClokNinja

gRe: Death about to become more dangerous

Post by ClokNinja »

interierior rooms meaning insie a place?i've not figuredi tou yet nor no where to go so. like no clue even where to start.
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

To summarize everything I've said in the last 30 minutes, this is super super direct, so, spoiler warning I guess...

Spacing for spoilers

You're looking for an interior room (yes, inside a place). There's one each in all the major towns (Haiban, Mistral Lake, Shadgard, Corvus), and one in the wilderness.
There will be description items in the room description, that means those green highlighted items, or if you have colors turned off as a VI user, they'll show up with a pound sign infront like #this.
One of those description items will have a pyramid when you LOOK at them and read their description text.
You can PAY your debts there.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Maeriwyn

Post by Maeriwyn »

Huh. You pay with riln? Not... virgin blood, lost orphans, or in innocent puppies?

That's disappointing. :P
Lysse

Post by Lysse »

Maeriwyn wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:09 am Huh. You pay with riln? Not... virgin blood, lost orphans, or in innocent puppies?

That's disappointing. :P
Reaper man's gotta pay that mortgage off.

Quip aside, this sounds like a pretty cool mechanical change! When I was active, I was pretty hyped about death changes, and I still keep up with the boards coz I'm a dork, so it's cool to see it finally came through, and sounds interesting and spooky.
“There is always a choice."
"You mean I could choose certain death?"
"A choice nevertheless, or perhaps an alternative. You see I believe in freedom. Not many people do, although they will of course protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.”
Delve

Post by Delve »

Jirato wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:04 am Cave-ins and Gas-leaks are entirely avoidable, so I dont see any need to tweak that. I'll look into the tree falling stuff though.
(energy -9)
EWAvdSmDt>
(Type stop to stop auto-mining.)
You continue mining the area with your sturdy cobalt pickaxe with a oak haft patterned with little
stars. (M:1974)
Roundtime: 7 seconds.

(energy -9)
** A sudden hissing sound fills the air!

EWAvdSmDt>
** Large chunks of debris fall from the ceiling as the area rumbles ominously!

You are struck by falling debris!
65 crush damage to the right eye!
Socket crushed and eyeball popped.
Delve has been defeated.

Instant cave-in... unavoidable.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Delve wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:41 pm ** A sudden hissing sound fills the air!
That means that poisonous gas is going to leak out and you'll start suffocating.
Delve wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:41 pm ** Large chunks of debris fall from the ceiling as the area rumbles ominously!
That means that you missed the earlier rumbing, because cave-ins always rumble, not hiss.
Delve

Post by Delve »

Nobody wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:58 am
Delve wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:41 pm ** A sudden hissing sound fills the air!
That means that poisonous gas is going to leak out and you'll start suffocating.
Delve wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:41 pm ** Large chunks of debris fall from the ceiling as the area rumbles ominously!
That means that you missed the earlier rumbing, because cave-ins always rumble, not hiss.
No, occasionally when you're mining if both the gas and a cave-in trigger at the same time, it can instantly collapse. I think it has to do with the room degrading from the gas leak :)
Kent

Post by Kent »

I never knew of a creditor who made it so tough for a willing payee to tender the payment!
- Kent "Gunney" Gunderman

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
Delve

Post by Delve »

Any chance we could get it to where if someone dies in a personal mine, it shows a vision of the room the mine is in instead of the room in the mine they died?

It's astronomically more difficult to find someone who died in a personal mine than anywhere else.
xavier

Post by xavier »

I've been mining in this game pretty much from the beginning and I've never, ever had a mine instantly collapse on me. I have had gas leaks and rumbles happen at the same time. I should also like to point out that gas leaks don't degrade the room, only cave-ins.
Rain falls steadily to the earth.
The gore has been washed from you.
The blood has been washed from you.
You are splattered with gore!
Delve

Post by Delve »

xavier wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:41 am I've been mining in this game pretty much from the beginning and I've never, ever had a mine instantly collapse on me. I have had gas leaks and rumbles happen at the same time. I should also like to point out that gas leaks don't degrade the room, only cave-ins.
I beg to differ...I believe gas leaks do degrade the room. But I will do more testing.
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

Dug into the code to see if we have a problem here. I was a bit skeptical, but was willing to give the benefit of the doubt and correct it if a bug existed. Results of my research, however, are that cave ins and gas leaks are two entirely separate functions. Cave-ins can only happen if a 'timers' variable gets added to the room data, with a value of {'cave_in':X} where X is the number of seconds until a cavein happens. This is the *ONLY* time a cavein occurs.

There are only two places in the entire code where this is set, and in both cases it is exactly as follows:

Code: Select all

for client in loc['occupants']:
                                    send(client,2," ** The area rumbles ominously, bits of debris falling to the ground.")
                                loc['timers']['cave_in'] = 15
Meaning it is *IMPOSSIBLE* for a cave-in to occur without the message "** The area rumbles ominously, bits of debris falling to the ground." being sent to all occupants of the room first.

It is possible for a gas leak to be triggered on the same round that a cavein timer is set. However, this does not interact with the room's 'timers' value at all, it does not decrement existing timers and it does not lower mine progress. (Crumbling mine rooms are completely separate from caveins anyway).

Again, the only time the following line is ever sent to a client:

Code: Select all

send(client,2," ** Large chunks of debris fall from the ceiling as the area rumbles ominously!")
Is after the loc['timers']['cave_in'] timer is found and decremented from 15 to 0. The above string does not exist anywhere else in the code except in the part of the main event loop that decrements room timers, and it is only decremented once per loop iteration, and the loop can not run more than once a second. The only time this timer is ever set, it is preceded with the "** The area rumbles ominously, bits of debris falling to the ground." message. You have 15 seconds from that time to evacuate the room.

The fact that the poster who claimed the cave-in was instant got a prompt between the gas leak and the cavein further proves that they were not related. They just simply missed the initial rumbling line. Either someone else was mining in the room when they weren't there (perhaps a bowtruckle), or they just simply didn't see/hear it.
Delve

Post by Delve »

The scarabs that run around in the mine and don't attack you can mine?
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

Actually, on second thought, they dig, don't mine. And search through the code for 'timers' shows that the only time a cave-in timer occurs is on mining, not digging, so, no, guess a bowtruckle didn't cause it.

You seriously must have just missed it, sorry dude.
Delve

Post by Delve »

Meh...I scrolled up and still didn't see it. But I believe you.

What causes the crystal caverns to collapse? Is it the same messaging?
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

Temporary cavern collapses are based off of a timer, and if you are unfortunate enough to be inside of one when it collapses, you will see the following message:

Suddenly the entire area collapses around you! You are crushed by tons of falling rock and debris!

Along with taking 1250 damage to a random hit location, pretty much insta-death. A regular mine cave-in, on the other hand, is not a guaranteed death, though is highly likely to be if hit in a vital location.
xavier

Post by xavier »

wait, do the scarabs actually dig.I've seen them pop out and start roaming around, but I've never seen evidence of them digging.
mercer

Post by mercer »

well now reading this, thee goes my suggestion. I was going to suggest a debt check npc or something
that's actually good to know.
You could always have a debt check npc
You hand a Hooded dark sorcerer 1500 riln
*channel message*
A dark sorcer deep into your eyes...
You feel a numbing cold sensation throughout your entire body,
A sorcer says: You have paid most of your debt
you only have one thing remaining, seek what you can from your experience beyond, fine the symbol of the afterlife.... or something

I'll have a look around then. I was wrong about the payment, I just assumed I'd already paid it off
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

The wording when you pay changes depending on if you've fully paid it off or still have partial debt left. Its left intentionally vague to allow people to overpay and get more riln out of the system, but if you pay close attention to how they react when you pay it should be obvious.
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

Jirato wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:53 pm The wording when you pay changes depending on if you've fully paid it off or still have partial debt left. Its left intentionally vague to allow people to overpay and get more riln out of the system, but if you pay close attention to how they react when you pay it should be obvious.
To be slightly less vague, please keep an eye out for these phrases:
(name) quickly pockets your money, then muses, "It's a shame how little value some people place on a gift as precious as life, isn't it?"
This means you have not paid enough. What you have paid is saved and tracked, but you will need to pay more.

"(name) looks at you expectantly."
This means you have paid off ONE of your debts, but still owe additional debt.

"(name) looks at you and nods."
This means you're good to go!

Note that recently, since there was some doubt on whether or not one persons debt was bugged and we had no reliable way of tracking what happened other than looking at their command history until just now, I went ahead and doubled the amount of times you can depart using this method before it's no longer viable. However, do keep in mind both cost with each favor and permanent skill loss exponentially increases based on the number of unpaid debts you have. It is especially harsh after the midway point (what was previously the cap).

Return to “General Announcements”