CHAT changes, phase 1

Announcements that don't fit into another category.
Jirato
DEV

CHAT changes, phase 1

Post by Jirato »

CHAT is now usable as a guest immediately upon connecting to the MUD, before login.

I'll roll out a nickname system some time this weekend after I make sure that they're secure (Able to register a nickname, assign it a password, and reconnect to it at any time)
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Jirato
DEV

Re: CHAT changes, phase 1

Post by Jirato »

The WHO command has been updated to show nicknames rather than player names and is usable prior to logging into CLOK. The /who command (which is actually different) has been removed. You may now use WHO instead.

The NICK command can be used to set up a nickname. It will be shown on the WHO list and in CHAT/QUESTION. Also, people using the nickname to attempt to steal/impersonate another person's identity will be dealt with harshly, so just don't even think about it.

Presently, tells are still using the old system, I should have that fixed sometime this coming week.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

Just to address some concerns:

Why do I have to log in twice now?
Right now, I'm just focusing on getting the basic functionality working. Once all that is done, I can work on some additional features to make it easier to manage, such as having the option of tying a nickname to a specific character and auto-assigning it upon login. The idea is to give people the freedom of choice and leave them with the ability to remain anonymous unless they want to be known.

Once this goes in for the TELL command, does that mean people are going to be sending me tells and I'll have no idea who they are?
To avoid the potential for abuse, TELL will only be usable by people who have selected a nickname. It won't be usable while in "Guest Mode".

What if someone takes my name?
Then they aren't going to be able to use who, chat, question or tell anymore on any of their characters, if we verify that an attempt at impersonation/identity theft took place. Seriously, don't do it.

Where did my title go?
Titles, options, and achievements are going to be moved to the client side of the house rather than being character-specific. This will take some time and will happen after all the basic functionality has been ironed out first.
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

TELL now requires you to specify a nickname rather than a character name. You cannot send or receive tells as a guest user.

Currently broken (working on it): TELL RECENT, REPLY.
preiman
CLOK Patron

Post by preiman »

I want to start by saying, I like the new chat system, I really do, but I also think it is at least partly responsible for the low player numbers since its implementation.
While I think the changes make things better, at least from a mechanical standpoint, if people are unwilling to adopt those changes, the benefits are lost. Instead of getting a who list populated by people's chosen nicknames, we get a who list populated buy guests, and a chat full of the same.
If i was looking into CLOK for the first time, or even considering coming back after time away, and saw a list full of guests and only one player and a GM I honestly would probably just go play something else.
I fear that the new chat system is just one of those good ideas that for one reason or another just doesn't work, which makes me sad, because I really do like having the same ooc name across all my characters.
"I don't think we're ever going to find out what is going on with these canim, where are they coming from?!"
Kent arrives from the southeast.
Kent hugs you.
say um
You say, "Um."
a Mistral Lake sentry arrives from the east, armor clanking.
Kent heads north.
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

That's one of the reasons why I went ahead and flipped the switch for TELL now, even though REPLY and TELL RECENT aren't working, to kind of... encourage people to use it more.

I realize it's a bit disheartening to login and see 5 anonymous users, 1 GM, and 1 player. But, still, we had 6 players online in the middle of a weekday, which... yeah, of course I'd like it to be higher, but it's still not bad considering it's off-peak. Hopefully once I get a unified login system setup, people will be using nicks more and it'll be a bit easier on the eyes rather than a bunch of guest users on the who list. Only time will tell though.
Dorn

Post by Dorn »

If the system was set up to assign your character name as your nickname instead of "guest" on creation and first log, and if you wanted it different you had to change it I imagine it would go a long way.
~Dorn
Uyoku takes a bite of her smelly skunk poop.
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

Would it be possible to add re-allowing partial nickname completion on tells to the list of modifications for this system? Typing a person's full nickname can be challenging at times depending on what they choose to set.
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

Kiyaani wrote:Would it be possible to add re-allowing partial nickname completion on tells to the list of modifications for this system? Typing a person's full nickname can be challenging at times depending on what they choose to set.
Should be pretty easy. I'll see what I can do after work tonight.
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

Should be done.
tell otarij test
[TO Otarij (OOC)]: test

EAvd>
tell otari test
Unable to find tell recipient.
EAvd>
gm rcom tell
Reloading tell.py...
... done!

EAvd>
tell Otari test
[TO Otarij (OOC)]: test

EAvd>
tell ota Test
[TO Otarij (OOC)]: Test
Dakhal

Post by Dakhal »

Nice! Thanks for the quick work on that little fix, J.
Love me or hate me, both are in my favor. If you love me, I'll always be in your heart. If you hate me, I'll always be in your mind.
I lead a Life of Sin.
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

Thanks!
Tamsin

Post by Tamsin »

Would it be possible to make it so that when I type "nick" it shows what my current chat nick is?
Zahrah

Post by Zahrah »

Since /who no longer works, it might be good to change the text that shows when you first connect to CLOK to reflect that. It still says you can use /who to check the who list.
[FROM Zeldryn (OOC)]: You're a fucking amazing RPer. +1000

Dorn bluntly asks, "And does it appear I have a wagon in my pocket?"
You quip, "It would honestly not surprise me if you did."

You notice a horribly disfigured squirrel quietly scanning the area while attempting to appear nonchalant about it.
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

Dorn wrote:If the system was set up to assign your character name as your nickname instead of "guest" on creation and first log, and if you wanted it different you had to change it I imagine it would go a long way.
I actually like this lots. It's a great replacement for guest##. It could stay guest if say, I want to chat but don't want to actually log into the game.
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."

Return to “General Announcements”