User Accounts

Announcements that don't fit into another category.
Jirato
DEV

User Accounts

Post by Jirato »

As many of you know, we have a login restriction system that prohibits multiple connections from the same address. However, we also allow people to contact us and request an exemption for this so they can play with their family, roomates, visitors, and so on. Unfortunately, it's really gotten to the point where we have added so many exemptions to this system, that there's almost no point in even having it anymore. Over half of our active players are currently exempt from it.

The solution to this, is to implement a new account-based tracking system, where you will have multiple characters tied to a single account. There's still some work to be done in the login commands for this, but I've went ahead and created the commands that allow people to register and add additional characters to a user account once you are already logged into the game. I'd like to go ahead and release this now, because once the login work is done, we will be deleting all the exemptions from the login restriciton system and changing it over to an account-based system. It would benefit you to have your account set up beforehand.

Please try the new user command to view and manage your attached user command. You may use the user create subcommand to initially create your account, and then use the user add command on your alts to assign them to your previously-created account. I've got some exciting ideas of perks and features to add to this system in the future, such as (optionally) synchronizing your option settings between characters on the same account, advanced character recovery, and ensuring the same email address is assigned to all characters on the account. Right now, however, this is purely for alt-tracking for the purposes of the login restriction system.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Jirato
DEV

Re: User Accounts

Post by Jirato »

Just to clarify in case this wasn't obvious, don't have your friends/family/roomates/visitors/etc register to YOUR account. They should make their own.

The idea is, once this thing is all set up, we set up something that says "People from account A and account B can play together." Characters not linked to accounts that are on a shared connection won't be able to connect and will get a message telling them they need to add themselves to an account first.

And, I honestly hope no one tries to cheat the system and create two accounts for themselves. But if it does happen, you will likely find yourself no longer being able to play CLOK at all. So, don't do that.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Jirato
DEV

Re: User Accounts

Post by Jirato »

Just a heads up, I went through the exemptions we have in our login command and removed a ton of old players that have not logged in for over a year and whole-household IP exemptions that have not connected to the MUD with that IP address in over a year.

If you notice you were previously exempt and are not, please email me at my contrarium.net address.

Return to “General Announcements”