Winter is upon us!

Announcements that don't fit into another category.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Winter is upon us!

Post by Rias »

Winter is upon us once again! And guess what - cold weather now makes you cold! It isn't just snow that chills your body and soul anymore!

"WHAT DO WE DO?!" cry the frigid masses. I shall tell you!!

Wear clothes. Lots of clothes. The more, the better. Fur and wool are particularly toasty!

"But Rias, I can't wear a coat over my armour! I shall surely turn into a popsicle mere minutes after venturing out into the freezing wilderland!"

Yes, 'tis true, the noble and toasty coat cannot be worn over armor, and yet it is a most valuable ally to ward off the cold. But fear not, hope remains! I present to you the humble cloak! While arguably not as snazzy as a fashionable coat, it can be worn over your armor, and will protect you from the frigid air just as well. And were you to ask a leathercrafter to produce for you a particularly high-quality fur cloak ... how smug you would be as you strolled toastily past the freezing peasants in the snow-filled streets!

But take heed - Even the most well-equipped winter wanderer will feel the bite of winter's chill eventually, so take care out in the cold, dear friends, and consider making a campfire if you start to feel harm or weariness from the frosty air while far from shelter.
The lore compels me!
Rias
Lore Hermit

Re: Winter is upon us!

Post by Rias »

Oh, and one more piece of advice: Don't go running around in the cold while sopping wet. That's never a good idea.
The lore compels me!
TwistedAkai

Post by TwistedAkai »

Officially requesting the ability to use a blanket to keep warm at the cost of one or both hands.
You also notice the corpse of a canim scavenger (x169).
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

"TwistedAkai wants to be able to use a blanket to keep warm."

"Well ... I guess he could wear it like ... a cloak." (Double sunglasses)

YEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
The lore compels me!
TwistedAkai

Post by TwistedAkai »

CLOK wrote:>wear blanket
You can't wear that.

> l blanket
You see nothing particularly unusual about the puce wool blanket.

> examine blanket
You carefully examine a puce wool blanket...
You see nothing particularly unusual about the puce wool blanket.
It is a small item, mainly made of wool.
You also notice the corpse of a canim scavenger (x169).
Lysse

Post by Lysse »

I believe you've fallen prey to a classic Rias prank.

He just forgot to say "bazinga" afterwards.
“There is always a choice."
"You mean I could choose certain death?"
"A choice nevertheless, or perhaps an alternative. You see I believe in freedom. Not many people do, although they will of course protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.”
Kent

Post by Kent »

Ok, question. Some crafted fur items are in the 'armor' category, some in the 'clothing' category.

Would my hands be just as warm in-game wearing wolf fur gauntlets as they would be wearing wolf fur gloves? Likewise, would my feet be just as warm wearing bear fur boots as they would be wearing bear fur mukluks?
- Kent "Gunney" Gunderman

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
Kent

Post by Kent »

TwistedAkai wrote:Officially requesting the ability to use a blanket to keep warm at the cost of one or both hands.
I like this idea. In my former mud, we could obtain a wool blanket that would keep you warmer (and also boost your healing and energy regeneration rate very slightly).
- Kent "Gunney" Gunderman

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Fur armor should keep you toasty, yes.

My previous post was my way of saying "just wear a cloak". We could make blankets wearable, but I wouldn't allow both a blanket and a cloak at the same time anyway, and blankets, unlike cloaks, lack a clasp to keep them on you, so I'm hesitant to make them wearable.

It's already possible to get max cold weather resistance with the existing clothes, and there isn't a way to be immune to it no matter how much you wear. When you need to thaw, at least go indoors. A campfire would help if you're out in the boonies. Thaumaturgy will warm people up as well, as will a pyro shield.
The lore compels me!
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Winter isn't upon us yet, but it is starting to get colder. Be wary, travelers and adventurers! It's getting time to pull out those cloaks and heavy furs! If you don't know how to make campfires, now's the time to learn. Bushcrafters: time feel snug and smug with your advantages in cold weather conditions! (Run out of firestones? No problem, just carve your own fireboard and spindle!)

Useful cold-weather-relevant commands:
campfire to make campfires.
carve branches before adding them to campfire to produce shavings that can be used as tinder
split to split larger branches into smaller branches.
chop to chop small branches into kindling with an axe or to chop logs into split logs which burn for a nice long time in campfires.
break to break small branches into kindling with your hands.
forage tinder ground to ... forage tinder and put it on the ground.
forage deadwood ground to forage specifically for deadwood, which is far easier to find than straight branches, and to put them automatically on the ground.
add branch/log/kindling/tinder to campfire to give that campfire more fuel so it can burn longer.
warmth clothing to see how well-equipped you are to ward off the cold.
The lore compels me!
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

Note that I am trying to add dynamic weather settings to all currently released areas, so parts of the world that were previously mild, fair, and calm all year round may now actually get a bit colder during the winter too. I'm trying to pick some intentionally warm RL locations to certain areas though so things aren't super hard over the winter and there's still some place for people (and infested) to go.

If you know of an area that is always mild, fair, calm, feel free to BUG it, and we'll try and add a weather system to it.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

It'd be cool to know what locations are used to determine the weather in-game, but then of course you'd have have at least one person wanting to look up the forecast for those areas, and I doubt meteorology is a thing in CLOK. Would certainly be interesting to have a mummer who accurately predicted the weather though. Lol
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.
Elystole

Post by Elystole »

Ah. So that's what that is. I was a little confused when I was wearing a coat and could wear a cloak over it.

Of course, I made myself a totally sweet fur greatcloak last winter. Problem is that it weighs 14 pounds. It pains me a little every time a discussion of cold weather in CLOK comes up and we're told to wrap ourselves up in furs because I have over 1000+ leatherworking skill and took the abilities, but I can't actually make the furs that I need to wear because the system is broken in more than one way. And the shopkeeps don't sell everything everything you need.
You overhear the following rumor:
"I saw one of those Shadgard folk come barging into Grif's and shoot one of the patrons on the spot. Shadgard must be a pretty rough place with such outlaws running rampant."

Return to “General Announcements”