OOC-Free Weekend

Announcements that don't fit into another category.
Makkah

Re: OOC-Free Weekend

Post by Makkah »

Very happy with that new installment of Chat/Question. Met in the middle and I appreciate that.
Vertebrate

Post by Vertebrate »

I had a thought, perhaps someone already mentioned the idea: limited chat. Perhaps a solution would be 10 chats per hour, or 20 per day, or 1 per minute, or some such...

Or perhaps tie them to RPAs. Just some ideas. I like chat, but I do often turn it and ESP off to limit noise.
Drayla

Post by Drayla »

Actually, I'd be really happy if we had a chat-free weekend once every month. Or perhaps a whole chat-free week even.
Lysse

Post by Lysse »

So, on another MUD I've played, you actually have an OOC Meter. It goes down by a tick every time you use the OOC channel (would not affect Tells, might affect Question), and comes back (at a pretty decent pace) over time. If your OOC Meter hits 0, then you can't use ANY ooc chat commands for several minutes.

What do people think of that idea? It might be an interesting solution, and also a way for the MUD to self regulate things like spammers, where the more often your OOC Meter hits 0, the longer it takes for it to refresh yourself.
“I will tell you precisely what Royalty is,” said Intra, “It is a continuous cutting motion.”
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

I don't know why Chat needs to be overly moderated like this. It's OOC. If you don't want to hear it, turn it off. If someone is bothering you or being obscene or rude use "karma". If people were spamming Question that would be another matter.
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

Agreeing with Kiyaani, the systems are already in place for players to "self-regulate" their OOC experience. I know for a fact that some people have been using karma to great effect. It seems a non-issue at this point.
Rithiel

Post by Rithiel »

For the most part, we're fans of players figuring out solutions to chat and question themselves. From what I've seen, question is being used for its intended purpose. If you think people are spamming chat, or if you think they're over sharing, tell them so, or as Kiyaani said, use karma. Last resort: turn it off. You don't have to have chat on if you don't like it. Karma use has increased recently, but it's still something that people don't use often enough (in my opinion). If somebody is doing something that is making chat unpleasant for you, karma them. It's possible that other people feel the same say, and muting that person might get the message across.

If you feel like people are spamming ESP, that's a different story, but you'll need to figure that out IC. Go threaten them to shut up or else. Tell them that nobody cares, and they should take it to a private tuner. Hire a thug to mug them and steal the pendant. The possibilities are endless.
A cheerful jingle intones, "Rithenschmirtz Evil Incorporateeeed!"
[OOC - Candy Mountain, Spearhead]: usually when they're snarky, it's Rithiel
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

I'm still waiting for the option to turn off tells.
Jirato

Post by Jirato »

Bryce wrote:I'm still waiting for the option to turn off tells.
option 19
You are no longer ignoring tells from other player characters.

option 19
You are now ignoring tells from other player characters.

tell Jirato test
Jirato is currently ignoring tells.
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

Fancy!
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Thank you!
Rithiel

Post by Rithiel »

Today is a chat-free day. The question command will still be available, but any use of it to get around the chat restriction will be severely punished (even after the fact - I will go through logs).

This is not in response to any use of chat (nobody did anything wrong), and these will continue to randomly pop up.

Tomorrow may also be a chat-free day, but I will post when the restriction is lifted.
Rithiel

Post by Rithiel »

Our most recent chat-free time has ended.

Return to “General Announcements”