Ignore Chat

Announcements that don't fit into another category.
Rias
DEV

Ignore Chat

Post by Rias »

If you get annoyed by the chatter over the chatwaves, you can use the options command to toggle option 5 - IgnoreChat - on, which will cause you to not see any of the chat messages. Just know that you might miss out on some good stuff. You can toggle it back off whenever you wish, of course.

In relation to this, GM-driven characters and NPCs will no longer be using the chatwaves when acting in-character, keeping the out-of-character chatwaves more definedly separate from the in-character events. If necessary, they will find other ways of getting peoples' attention when an event kicks off. This doesn't mean that player characters are forbidden from talking about or discussing events over the chatwaves, however.
The lore compels me!
Jaren

Post by Jaren »

Vorpal and I were talking about this earlier and thought would it be possible to add an in-character "event" only channel? Maybe this channel would only become available when an event is going on. I completely understand/agree with the reasons behind this decision but just feel it is kinda sad because something seems lost. I loved when an new shiny NPC shows up and announces his/her-self to the town.

Well that's my two cents on the matter. Is this what you meant when you said
"If necessary, they will find other ways of getting peoples' attention when an event kicks off. "? Or do you have another idea?
"When someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES!"
Winston Zeddmore
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I'm hoping to release a system similar to the chat that is in-character only (so NPCs don't have to contend with people chatting about their day, pop cultural references, etc.). It would likely require a type of artifact that grants some sort of limited telepathy (Gemstone players: yes, like the crystal amulets, but I don't want to rip it off completely), and these artifacts could be purchased reasonably affordably with the arrival of the new Mercantile Guild.

That isn't to say all NPCs will be using this system to get players' attention. Some will not have access to the telepathy channel, in which case I'd set up some area-wide messaging scripts, so for instance, anyone in the Shadgard area would hear a crier shouting about an oncoming horde of infested, or the like. Then those people that heard the criers could hop on the telepathy channel and alert the other characters further away who weren't in the area to hear the crier. That's something I still need to code up.

If an event is particularly important, we'll be sure players know en masse. More minor events may occur with little or no fanfare, and end up as missed opportunities if the players don't react in time or accordingly. We don't want to force things to happen just the way we want to.
The lore compels me!
Evelyn
Mentor

Post by Evelyn »

I often get confused if chat is IC or OOC hee. Folk were using brackets for a while. I think it would be nifty to have somekind of IC channel. :)
The Rig-Jarl Bjorn gives you a bone-crushing bearhug.
Collins

Post by Collins »

Not to copy Gemstone too much. But...

THINK {message} for In-Character messaging.

Vs.

CHAT {message} for OOC messages.

I think this could be implemented for now, even without an item of sorts. Either could be ignored via OPTIONS.
Last edited by Collins on Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

You speak the truth. Might as well add the functionality now, and add in the complexities later.

Now, which color to use for in-character thoughts/telepathy?
The lore compels me!
Jaren

Post by Jaren »

oooh oooh please say BLUE... =)
"When someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES!"
Winston Zeddmore
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

Dark Cyan would be nice for IC Tells.
Morgoth, I cried
All hope is gone but I swear revenge
Hear my oath