Death Revision Stage 1

Announcements that don't fit into another category.
Rias
DEV

Death Revision Stage 1

Post by Rias »

The first stage of the new death mechanic is out. When a character dies, they now leave a corpse (no, it cannot be looted). The character's soul will remain by the corpse and will be unable to do anything other than look or depart. A character can hope for a member of the Monastic Order to come by and restore their soul to their body with the Soul Beacon spell. If the corpse is in a dangerous place, it would be best for someone to drag the corpse somewhere safe where the monk can safely perform the Soul Beacon.

If there are no monks around or willing, or one is simply feeling impatient, a character can simply depart and go to a respawn point. Departing, however, will cause the player to be unconscious for a time, and the unconsciousness cannot be prematurely lifted. In addition, departing will cause all skills to take a 75% penalty for a time.

chat and tell are disabled while dead, so if you're going out somewhere dangerous, it might be good to let your friends know, in case you die out there. If there is something that requires GM attention a dead character can still use report.
The lore compels me!
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

That's pretty cool. But I have one suggestion. Your horse won't automatically go to the stables until you depart?
Vitello

Post by Vitello »

I would suggest removing the one hit kill Dwaedyn from pickpocketing

Also traders in the coalition base crushed by trees have no choice but to depart.

Perhaps Traders and Thieves could pay an insurance to get hauled to a monk by their respective guild when dropping dead in a guild respective job/area.
Vitello - Ton - Shirinya - Alwaren
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Horses go to the stables if they die, not when the rider dies.

Dwaedn Wyr don't get a guaranteed one-hit-kill, they attack like anything else of their skill level and equipment. If a pickpocket is having trouble with angry citizens and bad reputation, they should consider going out and stealing from less-dangerous things, like carriers in Tarueka, the robbers around the robbers' camp, etc. NPCs can have their pockets picked just like PCs and crowds.
The lore compels me!
River

Post by River »

too bad there isn't a death window
---Also, I can kill you with my brain.
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

Can we have a toggle to prevent people from raising us?
I doubt I'll ever be raised unless someone's intentions are to kill me again.

Does the time of decreased skill gains stack with multiple deaths or just reset?

Sorry about all the questions, but can you tell us an approximate time that the decreased skill gains from departing last?
20:21:01 [CHAT - (a mysterious GM)]: With obvious effort, Zuki pries up a thick scale over a drakolin's chest! Zuki spearhand-strikes the soft, unprotected area under the scale! Heart ruptured, death follows immediately. A drakolin lets out a final bellow of rage and falls lifeless to the ground.
Elizamor

Post by Elizamor »

Hmmm...I wonder how people would react if they saw me dead on the streets
I'm a thief, it's what I do.
Elizamor

Post by Elizamor »

Are the militias supposed to see your spirit and keep attacking it?
Elizamor

Post by Elizamor »

health
You're dead!

[DEAD]>
A Shadgard militia member retrieves a lead shot from his shot pouch and loads it into his antiquated flintlock.
a Shadgard militia member pulls the trigger of his antiquated flintlock.
a Shadgard militia member fires a lead shot at you! (R: 1222 vs D:0)
38 pierce damage to the neck!
(energy -38)
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

They hate you that much.

Might be fixed now. Maybe.
The lore compels me!
Vitello

Post by Vitello »

Is it a penalty to skills or penalty to skill -gains-?
Vitello

Post by Vitello »

Experimented. Skills themselves are reduced by 75% for ten minutes. Not as terrible as I initially knee-jerked.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Righto. Clarifications:

As Vitello said, the penalty is a modifier to current skill amounts, and does not effect skill gain (other than the fact that your challenge ratings will be different with the modified skills).

The current penalty duration is 10 minutes.

The penalty duration stacks and persists after death.

A chance to deny the Soul Beacon has been considered but not decided upon. For now, and if we decide not to put in the option, you can simply depart when you see someone come in if you don't want them to put your soul back in your body.

Expect all this to be tweaked, altered, and added to over time. One thing I want to add to the penalty is a reduced maximum energy.
Last edited by Rias on Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
The lore compels me!

Return to “General Announcements”