Ancestral languages!

Announcements that don't fit into another category.
Rias
DEV

Ancestral languages!

Post by Rias »

While Common is currently the widespread, unified language spoken by just about everyone on Arad, some nations and cultures still retain their ancestral languages as well. For our first update, characters of the Faewyr, Nuum, and Viali races will now have access to their respective languages!

Use the speak command to switch your language.

For any who wish to roleplay their character as not knowing their own ancestral language, or being only partially knowledgeable of it, send an email with your request to rias@contrarium.net.

We're still deciding what options the other races will have as far as languages. Here's what we're considering so far:

Hillfolk: Option of partial Faewyr OR Viali languages, as they're descended from the lost kingdom of Aetgard which was a mix of the two cultures. Possibly their own dialect, which would occasionally have words understood by speakers of pure Viali or Faewyr due to the similarities.
Rhuidim: Full or partial Nuum language, as they clung to many of the old Nuum traditions
Giganti: Fluent Faewyr, as they're a sub-race
Grummers: partial of any one of the more common languages, as it's a central, "melting pot" sort of nation
Mixed: Partial or fluency in any one language, backstory/explanation reasons required
Fasa: Their own language, most likely. Need Rithiel's input.
The lore compels me!
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

And since I'm sure people will ask, the concept of learning other languages is possible, we're just deciding how exactly to do it and how to moderate it, so everyone doesn't end up knowing every language.
The lore compels me!
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

How many languages would you like people to know? You could try their native language, the common language and two learned languages?
The elements are slaves to no being. One must learn to ask for their aid, the elements offer power to the humble. This is why no one is truly a master yet everyone is a student..
~The Apprentice of the Elements
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I was thinking three total (Common included in that total). There aren't a lot of core languages, really:

Common
Faewyr
Viali
Nuum
Fasa (possibly the proto-language of Arad)
Metztli (people of Tatlhuecan)

Those would be the ones you'd ever hear with any regularity. Then there's the less-common ones like Hyra, and those spoken by people from other continents, but people wouldn't get a whole lot of use out of those, obviously. You'd be the cool guy in town if someone came by that DID speak one of those, though. Heh heh.
The lore compels me!
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

What happens if someone would like to forget a tongue to focus on learning a new one? Will that be possible?
The elements are slaves to no being. One must learn to ask for their aid, the elements offer power to the humble. This is why no one is truly a master yet everyone is a student..
~The Apprentice of the Elements
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I'm leaning toward "no," unless the language you want to give up hasn't been studied much by the character yet.
The lore compels me!
Lae

Post by Lae »

Just a few thoughts:

Maybe have learning languages be a learning experience in game. Some guilds and other things are attached to certain histories. Like the church is based in Ivial so wouldn't it make sense that someone there might be willing (if a member shows dedication to the Church and it's works) to teach them the Viali?

Traveling merchants from some areas might be able to teach language under special circumstances. Make it a kind of a quest/roleplay type of thing.

My two cents =3
http://i.imgur.com/SuO0Fej.gif
[FROM Rias (OOC)]: Jaster can now pick the lock on your bathroom door. I don't want any more details on that bug report.
You ask, "Are we there yet?"
Bryce angrily says, "I will turn this horse RIGHT AROUND."
Speaking to you, Jaster exclaims, "Compassion, Sister Lae!"
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I like.
The lore compels me!
Rasui

Post by Rasui »

Thank you.

Return to “General Announcements”