Public Mailbox Directory!

Announcements that don't fit into another category.
Rias
DEV

Public Mailbox Directory!

Post by Rias »

Per the in-game announcement: The MAIL DIRECTORY (or MAIL DIR) command can now be used in post offices to toggle whether one's name and mailbox are listed in the public mailbox directory, or to view or search the directory. Character mailboxes are unlisted by default.

I needed a fun simple thing to work on, so now we have a public mailbox directory system! It'll take a bit for enough people to opt-in for this to be useful, but long-term I think it'll be quite handy. If anyone has any ideas to expand on this, please do post them here.
The lore compels me!
artus

Re: Public Mailbox Directory!

Post by artus »

I like this. It'll make finding mails of chars who're bound to be sent to a lot much easier than going hey what's Mr. balloon's mail again? The aforementioned balloon can just put his mail up so the public can see.
[CHAT - Event Staff Uyoku likes NOM NOM NOM food]: You are holding a pepper-grilled Uyoku in your right hand.
This GM has been peppered and grillef over an open flame to a juicy perfection.
Lysse

Post by Lysse »

Do characters that are shelved get automatically unlisted/toggled to unlisted, or are they still listed once they're shelved?
“I will tell you precisely what Royalty is,” said Intra, “It is a continuous cutting motion.”
Adresin

Post by Adresin »

This is awesome!

One idea that comes to mind is allowing publicly listed people to automatically be aliased? So for example, if someone wanted to mail Alia and hadn't yet set up an alias for her number, they could just type mail alia and since her mailbox is listed publicly, it would just work? It would have to only work on exact matches though I'd imagine, otherwise typing mail ali would likely mail to Alia rather than Alila if both were listed.
Sneaky

Post by Sneaky »

It might be a nice feature to let us add a short description of possible services next to our directory entry. If allowing players to write their own is questionable, perhaps they can be selected from a list? For example, the following professions could be listed next to their mailbox number.
Tailor
Leather worker
Blacksmith
locksmith
sell sword
Guard
Wood worker
However, I think allowing players to write a short blurb for services offered would be ideal. For example:
Elly Mailbox 2345, Locksmith, mail ins accepted, 150 riln per lock.
Kray Mailbox: 4890, Leather worker, mail in your repairs, payment collected upon return.
[FROM Liani (OOC)]: It's an ice cream conehead
You also notice a bronze crossbow bolt (x8) and the corpse of a slender pale white cave drakolin.
Alila softly compliments, "Thank you for the story--you were all excellent."
[CHAT - Lore Hermit Rias (Retired) (Discord)]: @Alila is crazypants
Rannveig

Post by Rannveig »

It is currently possible to add yourself to the mail directory without having a mailbox set up first. It seems to just not put you on the list until you set up a mailbox, and then it'll list you properly after you do--so it doesn't really break anything irreversibly? But maybe a little prompt telling you that you should set up a mailbox if you want people to be able to contact you is a good idea?
You light a mage candle (levitating) with some firestones.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Lysse wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 6:34 am Do characters that are shelved get automatically unlisted/toggled to unlisted, or are they still listed once they're shelved?
No, the listing stays up for shelved characters. Might be something to consider, though.
Adresin wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:40 am One idea that comes to mind is allowing publicly listed people to automatically be aliased?
Done!
Rannveig wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:14 am It is currently possible to add yourself to the mail directory without having a mailbox set up first. [...] maybe a little prompt telling you that you should set up a mailbox if you want people to be able to contact you is a good idea?
Oops, fixed.
Sneaky wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:41 am It might be a nice feature to let us add a short description of possible services next to our directory entry. [...] I think allowing players to write a short blurb for services offered would be ideal.
This would require monitoring and moderation, and we already have town market boards for advertising services and whatnot, so I think we'll keep the mailbox directory to a simple listing of names and mailboxes only.
The lore compels me!
artus

Post by artus »

I vote for having shelved characters stay on the list because otherwise it could create this scenario where someone wants someone's mail. He's away for a month with a guaranteed return, so you can still send him mail if you want his services or love confession when he comes back or something.
[CHAT - Event Staff Uyoku likes NOM NOM NOM food]: You are holding a pepper-grilled Uyoku in your right hand.
This GM has been peppered and grillef over an open flame to a juicy perfection.

Return to “General Announcements”