Memorial Day Weekend, CLOK Beta, Skill Acceleration

Announcements that don't fit into another category.
Jirato
DEV

Memorial Day Weekend, CLOK Beta, Skill Acceleration

Post by Jirato »

First, happy weekend everyone. For those of you in the US, you'll know this as Memorial Day weekend, which is actually quite a somber holiday. As someone who grew up in a military family and works full time on a military installation, I know this as the day we honor our fallen military service members. For most of the US, however, we also view this weekend as the coming of summer. Apartment complex pools are opening up all over the country. Either way, it is a federal holiday and a three day weekend for most, and we're turning on a skill multiplier so you can enjoy it to its fullest in CLOK. Do be aware, however, that this skill multiplier is slightly different from others used in the past. I'm leaving it intentionally vague here. It's a significant increase, and I'm sure some of our more resourceful players will figure out what exactly it is (Hint: It's REALLY good for new players!)

I'd also like to take this moment to discuss the future of CLOK. We've got some exciting things on the table here. Much of which involves major changes behind the scenes. The road ahead could be slightly bumpy, but I want everyone to know that we're sticking to it and actively developing the project. As such, we're officially calling the game a "Beta" project again. I know this is a step backwards from the full release status we're in now, but we need to be prepared for the coming changes. Besides, CLOK has always been a living, breathing world with active development. Alpha, Beta, Release, regardless of what we call it, we're always going to be working on CLOK. It's just some of the things we're working on now are a bit more major and involve fundamental changes.

And lastly, the new skill gain multiplier won't show up in effects. Because it's permanent, not just for the holiday weekend. I sincerely hope everyone enjoys this opportunity of an easier grind so that they may focus more time on role play. As to not diminish the time and effort invested into legacy characters, a free RPA has been granted to all players with the amount of points based on their highest rank skill. Also, due to the vaguely hinted at accelerated growth for new players, free infirmary healing for new players has been modified to look not only at the new player skill bonus effect if it exists, but also the amount of play time a character has. I feel offering free bandaging for the first 24 hours of time spent actually logged in and active on a player will greatly exceed the 35 skill points the new player skill bonus offers. Since activity timers have been a thing for over a year now, this will be a retroactive change, even if you're not a brand new player, you may still receive free bandaging if you're under the 24 hour mark. You may use the playtime command to see how many hours you have logged.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Tamsin

Re: Memorial Day Weekend, CLOK Beta, Skill Acceleration

Post by Tamsin »

Can't wait to see what's in store, and yay for the permanent multiplier, maybe I'll grind a littler afterall... maybe~

Happy Weekend everyone, and a good Memorial Day to you Jirato and all else applicable!
Lassyn

Post by Lassyn »

We had a bunch of people, on the bbs and outside, explaining why Clok wasn't as fun to them anymore. The thing that kept coming back time and time again was the grind. We had a couple folks say that it felt like a full-time job. So we listened and we thought and we made the change. As J said above, we're entering a pretty big time of change. Things may get a little rocky as we balance and fix things and really kick some big changes into gear.
I know some people may be nervous how this is going to effect the game. And it is. But for the better. It still requires a great deal of work to get up to the super powerful (cap) area. But it also allows for interesting rp, and more rp in general. It's going to take some changing things on the back end, and we're prepared for that. So I'm going to make you three promises and ask two favors before I go join my family to celebrate graduation:
- Things are going to change, but they're going to change for the better.
- We are prepared to balance and adapt as we go along.
- This is only the beginning -- get excited for what else is in store!
And the favors:
- Trust us that we've got a plan set in place, and that things will normal out. Change is hard, but please have some trust that the gms are working hard and well and fast towards a better Clok. Be patient.
- Have fun! This is something people have wanted for a long time. Enjoy it.
artus

Post by artus »

Yay! I'm so excited now!:)
But no matter what, either now, then or anytime, I love Clok, and will always love Clok. It's my first top favorite mud I never forget!
I'm hoping to see the better, and the more clokish Clok.:) Oh but but but, if it overdrives you gms, don't push it alright? Things can be casual but good as it is. I know it's hard, but life and health comes first.
Love you all!
[CHAT - Event Staff Uyoku likes NOM NOM NOM food]: You are holding a pepper-grilled Uyoku in your right hand.
This GM has been peppered and grillef over an open flame to a juicy perfection.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Been around here maybe a year and a half and I haven't had any meaningful complaints about the changes so far, I'm looking forward to things being shaken up a little.
Orris

Post by Orris »

This sounds really cool!
While planning a trip to the haunted galleon with a bunch of people on ESP...
[FROM Vinz (OOC)]: what are the nether called on that pirate ship again?
[TO Vinz (OOC)]: I'm scared to tell you...
[FROM Vinz (OOC)]: DO-IT >:)
Kent

Post by Kent »

I am glad to see it has been made much easier to get a new character "off the ground"... with the cost of bandages and the weakness of low level first aid (lots of bandage fails, bandages fall off in no time) plus if you're a warrior type it seems like you were a weakling against the lowbie mobs for too long...this change will take a whole lot of the sting out of that and make the game feel playable to the person who hangs in for a few days, instead of for a few weeks as was the case before. No doubt it will take a lot of the sting out of corresponding non-warrior beginners in other fields of endeavor as well.

Definitely a move in the direction we needed to move in. Good job.
- Kent "Gunney" Gunderman

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822

Return to “General Announcements”