Walk-In Bank Vaults

Announcements that don't fit into another category.
Jirato
DEV

Walk-In Bank Vaults

Post by Jirato »

The bank in Haiban has been converted to a new walk-in vault system. You may access it via the door in the bank lobby. These types of bank vaults will eventually make their way to other towns once I get the time to sit with the town gurus and determine how exactly they'd like them to be set up.

Brief rundown of how this works:

Only one person may enter the walk-in vault space at a time.
Once you enter, you may ring the bell by the teller window to have them bring out any storage containers you are using.
You may order more storage containers from the bank. These will be expanded in the near future to include equipment racks and additional trunks.
When you are done placing items into, or retrieving items from, the storage containers, you may ring the bell again, or simply walk out. Your storage containers, with the items, will be moved to the back room of the vault (saved to file).

If you disconnect while in the vault, you will be automatically moved to the lobby and any items inside your vault will be saved and returned to the back room.

A couple notes:
It costs 25 riln to enter the vault space.
The storage containers you order in the vault are basically just leased from the bank. You pay a significant amount of riln for them because you are leasing permanent storage space in the bank's building.
Items on the floor are NOT saved.
The vault is NOT janitor-proof.
People who idle in the vault for an extended period of time will likely have bad things to them.
You can still retrieve items from your old traditional bank vault in the lobby, but you can no longer store new items. This is meant as a replacement to traditional vaults, not an addition.
Yes, this means there is now a finite storage limit on vault space. Additional container types will be added to the shop soon, but they will all be limited to 1 per person. (1 large crate, 1 armor rack, 1 weapon rack, etc).
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
merin
CLOK Patron

Re: Walk-In Bank Vaults

Post by merin »

Very cool! I have a few questions:
1. As an artisan, I store a lot. I expect to pay for my storage. Having asked that, how much can each of these containers hold?
2. can we bring handcarts and or wagons into the vault? If we can store a lot there and want to move thigns from place to place, we should have the ability to, well, actually move larger quantities of stuff. Otherwise, I can think of times where it will cost me hundreds, especially to migrate to the new system, in storage.
3. Does this work for shared accounts? Meaning do each account have a vault the people sharing it can access? I do enjoy using them -- I share components with at least one other via accounts, and don't want to lose that access.
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

Awesome! Love it, will move my stuff soon as I'm able.
Life is like a box of chocolates. The caramel filled ones are the best.
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

1. As an artisan, I store a lot. I expect to pay for my storage. Having asked that, how much can each of these containers hold?
The shop descriptions of the medium and large crates indicate how much they store in relation to the free small crate that everyone gets. You can figure out the rest yourself through experimentation.

2. can we bring handcarts and or wagons into the vault? If we can store a lot there and want to move thigns from place to place, we should have the ability to, well, actually move larger quantities of stuff. Otherwise, I can think of times where it will cost me hundreds, especially to migrate to the new system, in storage.
You should, in theory, be able to bring a handcart in. I haven't tested it. The wagon would be a no-go though.
3. Does this work for shared accounts? Meaning do each account have a vault the people sharing it can access? I do enjoy using them -- I share components with at least one other via accounts, and don't want to lose that access.
Uhh, whoops. Someone else pointed this out to me as well... I kind of forgot shared accounts existed (and I made them)... Adding shared account support is priority #1 for me right now.

After thinking on it over lunch and an issue that one of the players had with a sword, I've decided to temporarily re-enable the store command for a bit (likely until shared account vaults are implemented). Keep in mind though that those old types of vault WILL be going away and you should move your stuff to the new vault as soon as possible.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
sona

Post by sona »

Will we, as a result lose overall space access? Will we gain overall space access? I just hope/want to make sure I'm not going to have to garbage a bunch of stuff, because I won't have enough space, or have an option to get enough space/buy enough space for my needs.
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

With the old bank system, there was no particular limit, so yes, you'll be losing space. See "Yes, this means there is now a finite storage limit on vault space." in the original post.

Extra space is available for riln, and there will be some additional items added to the vault shop within the next couple weeks to expand on that even further.
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

Love this! Thanks Jirato! Can't wait to see it in other cities...
sona

Post by sona »

I'd also suggest bookshelf/wardrobe option for the bank space as well, since a lot of people will keep outfits in the bank, and letters, books, etc. It'll be good for organization.
Akila
Mentor

Post by Akila »

Yes to bookshelf! I'm also looking forward to seeing this in other cities.
[CHAT - Mayor Bryce of Bryceburgh]: It's that funny metal thing you put in your mouth, Galon, and then it goes "Boing, doing, dwang, dwang, doing, ding, boing, dwahng."
04:06:02 [CHAT - Mayor Bryce of Bryceburgh]: You know, the thing Snoopy plays to help Charlie Brown remember "i before e, except after c"
sona

Post by sona »

Oh, and please allow handcarts in the bank.
merin
CLOK Patron

Post by merin »

Ok so after some reflection, I mostly like the change. here are a few things I would like to see:
* the ability to have a couple of weapons racks. We have different weapons for different reasons and it would be nice to be able to store them. I'm not saying anything ridiculous like 20 weapons, but five to ten I don't see is out of the question: 2 shortswords for nethrim, 2 rapiers for training, a larger one-handed sword, a longsword for vercitility, and a greatsword/khopish/flamberge. I think that the finding exactly what you like and being able to switch between them will help, not to menschen accounting for different weapon styles.
* A few armor racks: I want to wear plate if I'm going in a group fight, especially protecting people. I want to wear chain if I'm fighting something nasty by myself, and I might want to wear leather for training.
* a bookshelf. I'd love more books to be in game, but with the amount of books I can think of, being able to store them would be really cool.
* a wardrobe. I have three crates, and the least I want to do is store my clothes in them, especially with the price I pay.
* shield racks. I'd like to be able to store a buckler, round shield, kite shield, and tower shield. Each have their uses and I hope Im' not the only one that is wishy washy enough to change his mind and use one of them situationally.

That's all I've got for now! I think that once it gets ironed out it'll be really neat. I mean it's neat as it is, but, in time all things improve, weather for better or worse!
Kent

Post by Kent »

I understand some people hoarded far too many items in bank vaults.

I just wonder if this is the best way to fix it. Currently, one can check vault and see a list of stored items and easily see and retrieve the one item they need. Won't this be quite the headache under a vault system?

May I suggest an easier and far better solution for everyone would be to do as some other muds do, to simply put a cap of 100 item slots per bank?
- Kent "Gunney" Gunderman

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

Kent wrote:I understand some people hoarded far too many items in bank vaults.

I just wonder if this is the best way to fix it. Currently, one can check vault and see a list of stored items and easily see and retrieve the one item they need. Won't this be quite the headache under a vault system?

May I suggest an easier and far better solution for everyone would be to do as some other muds do, to simply put a cap of 100 item slots per bank?
If anything, I thought the new system would be easier to manage and stay organized. You can have multiple storage containers to sort your things in and such.

It'll be more apparent once I expand the vault shop a bit more.
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

Prices have been adjusted and the difference has been refunded to the bank accounts of the people who have already purchased vault storage containers.

I don't mind being told by a player that they are unhappy with something. Nor do I mind any constructive feedback, suggestions of alternatives, and pretty much anything discussed in a polite, friendly manner. The lowering of these prices should reflect that. What I do mind, is rudeness and people cursing, even if it's half-hidden through alternative spelling, and telling me that something is "f***ing crazy".

I knew people would be unhappy about the prices. I wanted it to be a ridiculous sum of money, but after some some careful consideration, I do agree it was a bit TOO ridiculous. Having a bank vault cost as much as a medium-sized house kind of defeats the purpose.
Liani
CLOK Patron

Post by Liani »

Thank you for taking the time to consider the concerns, even if some may not have been said very nicely. It really is appreciated.
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

Yay! My character's wallet thanks you, Jirato. Riln doesn't like me too much, so I can understand why it was disliked. I boggled when I first saw it, and was convinced I'd never be able to use them. Lol
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.
merin
CLOK Patron

Post by merin »

I haven't checked new prices, so, I'm going to stick with the 10000 riln for larger container price because that's what I know. Either way I think the idea will come across fine.

Let's say I buy large crate at 10000 riln. I store junk in it and i'm unhappy with how much my stuff costs. So, I want another crate. This next one is 12500. If I want a third, it's 17500. a fourth makes it 25000, etcetera. You're paying for storage in a bank, and if players want to pay hundreds of thousands to these banks, why shouldn't we be able to? I mean up to a limit, of course. If we want an armor rack it's 2000, the second is 3500, third is 5000, fourth is 7500, fifth is 10000, sixth is 15000, seventh is 25000, eighth is 50000, etcetera.
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

merin wrote:I haven't checked new prices, so, I'm going to stick with the 10000 riln for larger container price because that's what I know. Either way I think the idea will come across fine.

Let's say I buy large crate at 10000 riln. I store junk in it and i'm unhappy with how much my stuff costs. So, I want another crate. This next one is 12500. If I want a third, it's 17500. a fourth makes it 25000, etcetera. You're paying for storage in a bank, and if players want to pay hundreds of thousands to these banks, why shouldn't we be able to? I mean up to a limit, of course. If we want an armor rack it's 2000, the second is 3500, third is 5000, fourth is 7500, fifth is 10000, sixth is 15000, seventh is 25000, eighth is 50000, etcetera.
I certainly like this idea but I think that there has to be some limit to storage. Banks are certainly limited in how much they can fit in a building. I would assume that there should be some restrictions... plus server clutter...
Sneaky

Post by Sneaky »

As a professional horder, I wish to make my stance on these new storage boxes known.

I feel they are gigantic.

That is all.

Seriously though, if you manage to fill up all of the containers made available currently...

You may want to seek out counseling.
[FROM Liani (OOC)]: It's an ice cream conehead
You also notice a bronze crossbow bolt (x8) and the corpse of a slender pale white cave drakolin.
Alila softly compliments, "Thank you for the story--you were all excellent."
[CHAT - Lore Hermit Rias (Retired) (Discord)]: @Alila is crazypants
merin
CLOK Patron

Post by merin »

Acaran is right -- we should have a limit, but if people want to pay for a bit more then I say let them up to a limit.

Also, sneaky, good to hear! really really glad that someone's tested them :).
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

Never underestimate the hoarding capacities of a MUDder. If any of them have ever played IF or RPGs, which I'm guessing most have, then they have been raised on the mentality of "if I can pick it up, it must be important"
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.
sona

Post by sona »

Traditional MMO'ers are definitely used to merin's suggestion and I like it. As much as I worried about it, the large crates seem to do the job for even myself, one of the more vocal (and hopefully seen as polite in being so) members of the MUD. I'm a bit fussed about it saying that it won't accept larger armor pieces as an artisan, but hope this can be alleviated by an incremental pricing and not really limiting the quantity one can have.

My argument on limiting space is: Space is not at a premium, while we don't have mechanical ways to utilize much of the space, we have hundreds upon hundreds of rooms, representing thousands of miles (or kilometers for our non-American friends).
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

sona wrote:
My argument on limiting space is: Space is not at a premium, while we don't have mechanical ways to utilize much of the space, we have hundreds upon hundreds of rooms, representing thousands of miles (or kilometers for our non-American friends).
Sure, if you want to keep all your stuff in the wilderness, feel free. Space in towns should be at a premium. It's not like they can just expand whenever they want. Mistral Lake is on a big wooden platform. Shadgard is nestled between the Redrock Canyon, and Haiban is built up against the river and some mountains. (Didn't forget Corvus, but can't think of a good reason other than the obvious "they're an Outpost, not a town)

By the way, the trunk should fit armor if the armor rack isn't cutting it for you.
sona

Post by sona »

Haiban recently expanded. And being the Western Coalition, nothing should really stop them from expanding save concern over hurting Dunwyr feelings. I don't think construction is the issue or bottle neck, it's the need or desire to use or utilize that space. There is a desire and need to utilize that space, to make for happier artisans and Haibanites, and why not do so? (I'm not saying we're not), it's profitable. And really, Western Coalition, is in my eyes short form for greed machine. We are the corporate monstrosity. Are we concerned with the environment? Some may be, but most are in for utilization of processes, equipment, and making it rain riln, political connections or reasons, or just because they love their craft(s).

Truthfully, northern Haiban feels a bit underutilized, but it's a new space, so that's to be expected. That is to say, I don't think northern Haiban is bad, it just doesn't feel "full". I'm sure that'll change in the future if we get player owned shops or things of that nature, just right now, it feels spacious. If the western coalition needs more space to grow, there's a lot of plains and forest to the north/northwest.
Sneaky

Post by Sneaky »

I think you're paying for the security rather than the space. Larger items tend to be more valuable and so it's probably why they charge more to store them. Plus those huge ass crates are probably taking up more room than the smaller crates and so they have to charge higher for them to keep people from buying more than what they need, or at the very least make it worth their time to allow people to buy more than what they need. The good thing about all of this though is that you're saving a toooooon more than if you would in the previous vault system, having to pay for everything you put in individually. You can go in right now with a backpack filled with something and transfer it all for 25 riln, which IMO works out great.

My thoughts is that they're building downwards rather than to the sides or up. Putting stuff in the ground is a good way to keep it secure, but it isn't very cheap. Especially with that river running close by and saturating the soil.
[FROM Liani (OOC)]: It's an ice cream conehead
You also notice a bronze crossbow bolt (x8) and the corpse of a slender pale white cave drakolin.
Alila softly compliments, "Thank you for the story--you were all excellent."
[CHAT - Lore Hermit Rias (Retired) (Discord)]: @Alila is crazypants

Return to “General Announcements”