A note about in-game pregnancy and child birth

Announcements that don't fit into another category.
Jirato
DEV

A note about in-game pregnancy and child birth

Post by Jirato »

I just want to put this out there before anything develops. CLOK does not officially support in-game pregnancy and child-birth at all. You're free to roleplay how you want within act/emote, but if you choose to roleplay being pregnant, you will receive zero support from the GM team. We will not create any props or messaging to support this, we will not create a child for you, and all player characters are 18 years old and over, so you can't just make a new character and call it your child.

Child birth is a wonderful thing in real life. However, I feel VERY strongly that it is not appropriate for a MUD setting, and every time I've seen it attempted both in CLOK and other games, it has always ended poorly. Some players who have been around longer may recall a certain case where this happened in the past, but that was before I was placed in charge of the project, and I feel very strongly that this type of role-play is not appropriate for CLOK. We will not dedicate time and resources to support it.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
ydia

Re: A note about in-game pregnancy and child birth

Post by ydia »

I agree.
You overhear the bartender exclaim to a patron, "What do you mean, you just want water?! Fine, fine ... but you'd better at least buy something to eat."
sona

Post by sona »

Seen it done once or twice well, but yeah. Generally bad ideas abound.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I'm not a fan of this stuff in MUDs, either. What occurred in the one instance we had in CLOK was a severe deviation from what the GM running the incident had told me would happen (loss of the child). Jirato's a better foot-putter-downer than I am.
The lore compels me!
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

I find that type of RP very interesting, especially if the female character is willing to take it the entire nine months and then do all the things involved to roleplay being a mother.

On the other hand, I would think that although undying women want to have kids, it'd be a no no for a variety of reasons. Being undying is definitely one of those reasons.

One thing I am fully in support of is fur babies. We need more of them!
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

Somewhat related: do canim have babies, or litters of puppies? Now that'd be both a humorous and entertaining result if a canim player decided to RP pregnancy.
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

Canims are humanoid, it would be no different than a normal pregnancy.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
ydia

Post by ydia »

I agree with fur babies. It would be cool if we could have pets. :)
You overhear the bartender exclaim to a patron, "What do you mean, you just want water?! Fine, fine ... but you'd better at least buy something to eat."
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

You can, in fact, have pets.

You just have to give birth to them first.
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

Pets are out there. They've been auction items in the past and require a home to keep them in.
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

Acarin wrote:Pets are out there. They've been auction items in the past and require a home to keep them in.
Yea, that's what I meant.
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

Jirato wrote:Canims are humanoid, it would be no different than a normal pregnancy.
Yes, I figured. Maybe a little hairier and toothier than normal, though. *Shudders* It was more just a question for humor.
jilliana wrote:One thing I am fully in support of is fur babies. We need more of them!
ydia wrote:I agree with fur babies. It would be cool if we could have pets. :)
I do agree with these things though. Pets that could actually follow us around and not just sit in our homes all the time would make great RP tools. That's a subject for another thread though.
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

Fayne wrote:
Jirato wrote:Canims are humanoid, it would be no different than a normal pregnancy.
Yes, I figured. Maybe a little hairier and toothier than normal, though. *Shudders* It was more just a question for humor.

sounds painful for the mother...
Life is like a box of chocolates. The caramel filled ones are the best.
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

Kunren wrote:
Fayne wrote:
sounds painful for the mother...
Nah, these are Undying CLOK women we're talking about. They could get stomped on by a drakolin and all it would do is piss them off. Hehe
preiman
CLOK Patron

Post by preiman »

just a note, most people are not undying. Sorry to jump in with something that really doesn't have a lot to with the subject, but I see that assumption a lot.
"I don't think we're ever going to find out what is going on with these canim, where are they coming from?!"
Kent arrives from the southeast.
Kent hugs you.
say um
You say, "Um."
a Mistral Lake sentry arrives from the east, armor clanking.
Kent heads north.
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

Oh, duh. I was still thinking of player characters, I guess I never even considered NPCs and children.

Speaking of, I think it's kinda funny how the reason we don't have child NPCs in CLOK is the basically the same reason they made children invincible in Skyrim: eventually some "evil" MF is gonna hack them up into little tiny pieces.

And before anyone says it, yes, I know we used to have at least one NPC child. And what happened to her? She was murdered, of course. Case proven.
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

Not even all player characters should be assumed undying. I know of at least two that aren't!

This thread doesn't need any more replies. I've put down my foot, people have had a chance to respond and react, now it's just going all over the place. Time to lock it.

Return to “General Announcements”