Donations

Announcements that don't fit into another category.
Rias
DEV

Donations

Post by Rias »

Because I've received several requests from multiple people, I've added a PayPal donate button to the site wiki sidebar. Feel free to donate whatever you want. I'm going to risk sounding like a horrible person and saying that these donations are just that - donations. They shouldn't cause you to feel entitled to special treatment.

Donations will go toward paying part of the Internet and power bills (since we personally host the server in our home). If we find any good opportunities, they may go toward server hardware upgrades or another attempt at paid hosting (hopefully one where the "guaranteed uptime" actually guarantees uptime).

Now keeping the above in mind (donations not entitling anyone to special treatment), I wouldn't be against donations allowing for a few standard little niceties. Nothing that gives mechanical advantages, I think, because I don't want this to turn essentially into pay-to-play or microtransactions or something, where people feel they need to pay in order to keep up with others. Right now I'm thinking things like item alterations, feature alterations (unique descriptions for hair/eyes/special features/etc.), mount description alterations, stuff like that. I'm open to further suggestions.
The lore compels me!
Avedri

Post by Avedri »

That sounds 100% solid to me. Rewards for only cosmetic pieces is a great way to make both parties happy without feeling like people can/have to pay for power.

Though I might be bias because I have no problem paying for new skins in some other games.
ANNOUNCEMENT: Octavia can sass sassy things now.

[CHAT - Kent the Shade Shatterer]: what do you mean, now?

[CHAT - Matilda]: Is that implying she couldn't before?
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

/donates to the 'Buff Elemancers/Nerf Shar' fund.
The elements are slaves to no being. One must learn to ask for their aid, the elements offer power to the humble. This is why no one is truly a master yet everyone is a student..
~The Apprentice of the Elements
Evelyn
Mentor

Post by Evelyn »

Nifty idea. I've played MUD's before that have awesome bonus if you donate and I always felt it a bit unfair... I like the idea of helping out the game I enjoy, but it shouldn't make you super badass.

I love the idea of getting custom stuff, it's much better then paying to be badass.
The Rig-Jarl Bjorn gives you a bone-crushing bearhug.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I wanted to take a moment to thank the folks who have donated (anyone who wishes to make it known that they were someone who donated can respond to this post) and remind them that they're entitled to a cosmetic alteration as described in the original post in this thread. Please email rias@contrarium.net or find me in-game sometime to talk about ideas and details.
The lore compels me!
Jirato
DEV

Re: Donations

Post by Jirato »

I'd like to take a moment to bump this thread for any newer players who might have been unaware of its existence.

There have been some minor changes since the original post. Particularly, the game server itself is no longer hosted in Rias' home but is now on a dedicated server out of an Orlando Florida datacenter, which I've assumed all costs for. However, Rias still hosts the wiki and BBS on his personal server at home, and spends a tremendous amount of time on CLOK development and I'm sure he would still appreciate any and all donations.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Here's the thread! So another other idea I was considering as a donations reward was a customized channel prep message. It would of course still have to fit within lore bounds.

For instance:

Vanilla version:

Code: Select all

pyro
Your hands glow with fiery light as you begin channeling pyromancy.

Rias's hands glow with fiery light.
Possible customized version:

Code: Select all

pyro
Twin rings of fire flare into being around your wrists for a moment.

Twin rings of fire flare into being around Rias's wrists for a moment.
Or something like that, anyway. I'm sure people who actually like elemancers could come up with something more interesting, but you get the general idea.
The lore compels me!
TwistedAkai

Post by TwistedAkai »

Would it have to be hand/wrist focused?
You also notice the corpse of a canim scavenger (x169).
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

TwistedAkai wrote:Would it have to be hand/wrist focused?
Primarily, yes. It's been established that, at least with humans, channeling tends to focus around the hands (likely because that's what they mentally think of as what they'll use to manipulate/direct the elements, based on the the fact that hands are used for most other manipulation/tool usage). I might be convinced to have some effects elsewhere in addition to primarily around the hands, though.
The lore compels me!
criticalfault

Post by criticalfault »

I look forward to sporting some neato channeling stuff soon then! Come on fun pay check from crazy job!
Jhordon -(Struck by lightning) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X69NaSUdzzA
Cigano - (Friends on the other side) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZAY-78zhmw
Xzean

Post by Xzean »

Please please please let us Rooks in on this sexyness.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

It can be any channeling, as long as it adheres to lore restrictions.

Actually, I'd probably exclude thaumaturgy. Maybe. I'd at least be far more restrictive about it (no, you can't have a pair of angel wings unfold from your back as you prepare your thaumaturgy).
The lore compels me!
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

Rias wrote:(no, you can't have a pair of angel wings unfold from your back as you prepare your thaumaturgy).
How'd you know what I was going to ask for?
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

First, I just want to say that I really appreciate the donations that have been coming. Since late November 2012, CLOK has been running on a dedicated server that I personally lease from an Orlando Florida based company called HostDime. I've been a customer with them for over three years now, and they have always been very professional and reliable. It does come at a pretty steep $170 per month cost, but please note that CLOK isn't the only thing on my server. It also hosts my personal website with a vBulletin 4 forum, a Mumble voice chat server, and Shoutcast audio streaming server. Those things along with CLOK GMing are my hobby, and I have no issues paying that much for my hobbies.

With as much as I appreciate the donations and always will, I want to echo Rias' points in his original post that we don't want to turn this into a pay-to-play game where people are donating solely to receive benefits. So I wholeheartedly agree with sticking to "cosmetic only" perks. So to re-iterate what's already been mentioned, stuff we'd consider if you've made a donation and would like something in return are:

item alterations
character feature alterations
mount description alterations
customized channel prep messages

Everything would have to be subject to review and fit with game lore. We couldn't have a character request elvish ears or a thaumaturgy prep message about angel wings sprouting from their back or something like that. We also can't add any functionality or create something from scratch. We can change the appearance of an item or add a detailed description to it if feasible, but we can't make a new item, turn an existing item into something completely different, or add extra abilities to it like adding flares to a weapon or putting a visor on a helm.

So, if you want your name imprinted on the flap of your leather satchel or the hilt of your sword or something like that, we can probably do it. If you want a tattoo, that might be possible too. If you'd like a description about your horse's mane being braided, we can probably do that too. Or if you want rings of fire circling your wrists when you channel pyromancy, that's a thing too.

Again, we won't be able to make anything new, code up new systems, or anything like that. It just wouldn't be fair to the non-donors. Sure, if there's something that you think would be cool addition to the game that would be available to everyone, you can always suggest it in the Feature Requests boards and we may add it to our to-do list if we think it's a valuable addition to the game, but we'll still maintain our current priorities.

One final note, because I always feel uber guilty about taking donations, if we ever do run into a situation where we're receiving over $170 in donations per month, I'll be redistributing it to the other GMs. Though if you want a smaller donation redistributed, all you have to do is ask. I can't promise that 100% of everything coming in is going to the server, because, frankly, I'll be paying for the server regardless. It will help ease the financial burden of the server though, and the excess will go to the other GMs as a thank you for their hard work and contributions to CLOK.

I'm by no means soliciting here, this was mostly just to say thank you and to clear up some possible misconceptions of donor perks. However, if you are interested in donating, feel free to send me a private message for my paypal email address. I'd rather not have it publicly visible on a forum where spambots can find it.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Skah

Post by Skah »

Could we get a new donate link? It doesn't seem to work anymore!
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

Edit: removed paypal instructions
Last edited by Jirato on Wed May 20, 2015 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Shou

Post by Shou »

Just a quick point, but I think Paypal also might lock you out if you recieve too many non-business payments, because Paypal. *shrugs* I know some people have had problems with it.
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

Most of what I've read about such lock-outs are from minors, people that falsified or failed to provide full information on their account, people who refused to cooperate with them on an account issue, or people who tried to stop a charge back from processing.

I'm a very heavy paypal use and have been using it for over 10 years. I'm not overly concerned about it at the moment.

Also, I did stumble over "personal fundraising" instructions, I'll check those out later when I'm not on my cell phone.
Shou

Post by Shou »

Fair enough!
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

I feel kinda bad bumping this thread, but I think it could use a slight nudge.

Just FYI, the last donation was January 2nd. I never expected CLOK to pay for itself and I'm perfectly fine paying for everything. But thought I should point it out. The remainder of January combined with 100% of February, March, and April have cost me $630.00 out of pocket. Any help would be appreciated!
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

With the introduction of Rias' Patreon page, I'd like to request that you please use that rather than sending me money directly. I've removed the paypal instructions from my previous post above.

I do really appreciate the few of you who have donated towards the server in the past, but this is and has always been Rias' project, not mine, and I always feel guilty taking in donations directly as if I'm profiting from someone else's work or something.

Return to “General Announcements”