Guards become more competent!

Announcements that don't fit into another category.
Rias
DEV

Guards become more competent!

Post by Rias »

Guard creatures (i.e. town guards) are now more competent. They will prevent hostiles from going in certain directions.

Of course, guards can still be bypassed by stealth or disabling the guard somehow, but they're intentionally very difficult to get past.
The lore compels me!
Jaren

Post by Jaren »

If you're going to make the guards more realistic, may I request that they also be given more realistic stats? It's kinda creepy seeing a guard hit with damage that would put The Reaver to shame.
"When someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES!"
Winston Zeddmore
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Well, first of all, they -are- meant to keep towns safe, so they have to be rather skilled. We don't want guards that are only capable of guarding against, say, infested laborers. If they end up constantly getting killed and bypassed, they become useless fluff. I don't plan on upping their skill constantly as players get stronger, though. They'll rely more on numbers and different units with different specialties (as will be seen when the new town opens up). During alpha stages, there'll be lots of number tweaking. I know a month of play seems like a long time to some, but I don't think a player with a month of play should be able to trounce all town guards and waltz around the world as he pleases.

Second of all, keep in mind how the numbers work. As they get higher, they become less important. At first glance, 500 vs 1000 seems like bad odds compared to 100 vs 200, but they're actually exactly the same, odds-wise.
The lore compels me!
Isiaa

Post by Isiaa »

Would it be possible to bribe guards?They should be more realistic.Of course you might have to make some sort of alignment code...the lower your alignment the higher the price.And one could only bribe while hiding or at least only start the process.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

It's definitely an intriguing possibility. There's a faction system in place, so if you were just a little bit into the negative, it wouldn't be too hard. If your standing was very far into the negative, the guard could refuse the bribe.
The lore compels me!

Return to “General Announcements”