Tutoring

Announcements that don't fit into another category.
Rias
DEV

Tutoring

Post by Rias »

We're trying out a "tutor" mechanic. Feel free to test it out and see how it goes, and please report bugs or anything that might be exploitable beyond the point of the mechanic. You can type tutor in-game to get the following info:
tutor
Tutoring allows you to tutor another person. This has two main effects:

1: Any of your skills higher than your student's will be lowered to the student's skill levels. This simulates you holding back in order to tutor them more on their own level of understanding.
2: Your student will receive a slight skillgain bonus to any skills where yours is higher than theirs.

This will also have the benefit of allowing higher-skilled players to group with those of lower skill, as it allows the student to not feel relatively powerless, and the tutor to lower his skills and thereby receive skillgains due to the resulting challenge when taking on challenges at the student's level.

Syntax:
- tutor [target] (Offer to tutor someone)
- tutor accept (Accept a tutoring offer)
- tutor decline (Decline a tutoring offer)

PLEASE NOTE: This mechanic will be HIGHLY MONITORED, and we realize there is very large potential for abuse. The tutor mechanic is NOT intended to allow high-skill people to continually skill-up on relatively easy challenges, nor is it meant to be a permanent skill boost to students while tutors just idle away in their group for the sole purpose of tutoring. If EITHER PARTY is caught AFK while the other benefits, there WILL BE PENALTIES.
The lore compels me!
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

I tried using Tutor with Kardys while on Kiya a few days ago and noticed most of my stats went to 1 or in the case of stealth it went to -18. I realize it's supposed to balance you out to their level, but that seemed a bit extreme. Might change it to lower you to within about 20-50 of the person's skill so you can still be effective as well.

This was a few days ago when he was brand new - not the beast with a flail he is now.
Lysse

Post by Lysse »

Evelyn and I tried this out today, and it worked very well. She did not receive any skillgains at first, but that was a bug that was soon fixed.
“I will tell you precisely what Royalty is,” said Intra, “It is a continuous cutting motion.”
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Booya!
The lore compels me!
Evelyn

Post by Evelyn »

This is super nifty so far! I love being able to group with others that are quite behind my skill level and not have them feel like I am bored! Good addition. ^^
The Rig-Jarl Bjorn gives you a bone-crushing bearhug.
Kiyaani

Re: Tutoring

Post by Kiyaani »

Wanting to ping this topic again since I've tutored again recently. Since we're teaching the student a particular skillset, would it be possible to code in tutoring up to 3 skills (like training) and leave the rest alone so you remain capable while helping others?
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Jaster will be your tooter, Kiyaani.
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

I'm sure he would.

Return to “General Announcements”