Weapon Breakage and Repair

Announcements that don't fit into another category.
Skjotur

Post by Skjotur »

Landion wrote:- Weapons that are repaired often, have a lower chance of degrading in quality in strength
I think this means that if you repair it before it gets too damaged, there's less chance of degrade? I'll have to compare, and repair one piece only when it's really bettered, the other I'll try to repair after every single hunt.

Although I have to say with the extremely high repair roundtimes, there is no way I am going to repair my gear after every single hunt. I'd still find it more efficient to just let it break and make a new piece.
Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and numbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear the coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me - I am happy.
-Hamlin Garland
Skjotur

Post by Skjotur »

And if store bought gear doesn't degrade I think that's a bug and should be fixed.
Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and numbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear the coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me - I am happy.
-Hamlin Garland
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

[quote=Acarin]As Skjotur stated, I don't see why traders should be able to do it better.[/quote] Traders are the crafting guild. It is what they do. It is all that they do. On the subject of why one guild can do something another guild cannot...

[quote=Rias]This is one of the places where we just have to accept exclusivity by design and that games are going to have limits. Only assassins can use cutthroat. Why can't a thief? Why can't a Rook? Why can't someone not in any guild? It just involves jumping out and slicing someone's throat with a sharp object.

Why can't an elemancer footstomp? Why can't a Udemi swindle? Why can't Dwaedn Wyr hamstring? Because this is a game, and certain things are simply designed with the intent to be exclusive to certain people or guilds in order to promote some specialization and uniqueness.[/quote]
The elements are slaves to no being. One must learn to ask for their aid, the elements offer power to the humble. This is why no one is truly a master yet everyone is a student..
~The Apprentice of the Elements
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

Nootau, traders already have a higher chance to produce masterful items along with a variety of other perks. They should not be the exclusive means to repair an item without ruining it. There aren't even any master leatherworkers that I know of. That being said, there's currently no way to safely repair leather armor. That's a big problem.

The second section of your post was because you were asking that your guilds get all the abilities of other guilds. It doesn't apply in this case as no one is asking for trader abilities. We're asking that a severe penalty that was recently put into place be removed/made less harsh so as not to devalue our items.

I thing this is also bad for traders because no one will buy a masterful item at a high price if it doesn't remain masterful for very long.
Last edited by Acarin on Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
20:21:01 [CHAT - (a mysterious GM)]: With obvious effort, Zuki pries up a thick scale over a drakolin's chest! Zuki spearhand-strikes the soft, unprotected area under the scale! Heart ruptured, death follows immediately. A drakolin lets out a final bellow of rage and falls lifeless to the ground.
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

Masterful items made by a trader will stay Masterful if a 'Masterful' trader repairs them. There are also many traders in the game, if becoming a Leatherwork Master is profitable, I am sure one will take the time to gain the mastery.
Last edited by Nootau on Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
The elements are slaves to no being. One must learn to ask for their aid, the elements offer power to the humble. This is why no one is truly a master yet everyone is a student..
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

Apologies in advance for this post, but this is a serious topic and I'd prefer Nootau not divert it and I saved this log for a rainy day. Please see below conversation with your alt, created soley for trolling purposes:

[FROM Masao (OOC)]: I am, that's the most amusing part about it. I like to argue.

[TO Masao (OOC)]: I noticed. Maybe you'll get over that when you realize how ridiculous it is. I like to argue also but I usually give up when people argue just for the sake of arguing and don't have anything rational to say.

[FROM Masao (OOC)]: There is nothing to get over. I have been doing this for years, ti has yet to get old or dull. Then again, i don't really care how people see me. If the argument still amuses me, I will continue it. That simple

Please stop trolling this thread for your own amusement, Nootau. You are not a leathercrafter to my knowledge and really have little to contribute to this conversation. There is a major issue with the system right now and I would prefer you not get involved just for the sake of your own amusement.
20:21:01 [CHAT - (a mysterious GM)]: With obvious effort, Zuki pries up a thick scale over a drakolin's chest! Zuki spearhand-strikes the soft, unprotected area under the scale! Heart ruptured, death follows immediately. A drakolin lets out a final bellow of rage and falls lifeless to the ground.
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

[quote=Acarin]Please stop trolling this thread for your own amusement, Nootau. You are not a leathercrafter to my knowledge and really have little to contribute to this conversation. There is a major issue with the system right now and I would prefer you not get involved just for the sake of your own amusement.[/quote]

He's not a leatherworker to your knowledge. The keywords being "your knowledge". Just because you disagree with a system in the game and he is defending it doesn't mean he's actually trolling. Just because you say he has no knowledge of the system, does not mean he has no knowledge of the system. You've posted quite frequently on topics that you have no experience in. Pot calling the kettle.
Morgoth, I cried
All hope is gone but I swear revenge
Hear my oath
I will take part in your damned fate
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

Anyways, back to leatherworking repair.

EDIT: Also, welcome back Kian. So great to have you around again. You were missed.
Last edited by Acarin on Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nootau

Post by Nootau »

[quote=Acarin]You are not a leathercrafter to my knowledge and...[/quote] Nootau crafts and repairs all of his own leather.

As for my tells, the only thing that amuses me is that you went through your logs to find that post. Nothing about this topic amuses me. I am not stating my ideas, only facts.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

We're evaluating the issues brought up in this thread (and there are likely going to be some changes), so let's leave it lie for a little while on this thread please.

If I have reason to suspect someone is trolling I will not hesitate to do something about it. Not saying trolling was going on in this thread, just getting my stance on the subject out there. There are millions of places on the interwebs for trolls to amuse themselves. I politely ask that they not make this BBS or the associated game environment one of them, as staff doesn't enjoy sifting through the chaff and will be less likely to read posts, let alone consider them and their ideas, if we have to waste time moderating and/or considering whether a post was serious or just an attempt to rile someone else up.
The lore compels me!
hadesfire

Post by hadesfire »

I think that the worse something is damaged, the more it degrades, Traders should just repair faster because they've learned tricks from masters to speed up their work to produce more riln.
Ardor

Post by Ardor »

As a trader, I'd like to keep things the way they are. As it is, there is not much that is actually unique to traders since everyone can train any skill.

Getting a mastery in something requires quite a bit of work. Blacksmithing mastery requires: Apprentice Lapidary (1 point), Master Mining (3 points), Journeyman Blacksmithing (2 points) for a total of 7 points and two skills to 500 (mining is boring but not to hard to grind but forging to 500 takes ages).
I checked the requirements on Leatherworking mastery. 400 skill seems to be rather low seeing how it has no other masteries as requirements. I believe it could use an increase. (Then again, if everyone can perfectly repair everything there is no point in actually getting it).
[FROM Rithiel (OOC)]: Be careful what you wish for.
hadesfire

Post by hadesfire »

there can be a point, currently, nonTraders don't have any inventive to work with materials, and traders are random masters with no disadvantages, not very fair.
Ardor

Post by Ardor »

I would say that making money is a great incentive to get into crafting. Most of the time it is the only reason apart from RP ones. But for now I will leave it at this, after all they (the Devs) are already looking into it.
[FROM Rithiel (OOC)]: Be careful what you wish for.
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

I completely agree with giving traders advantages. Perhaps a fair way of doing this would be to have the degradation less severe with a maximum. So for example, for masterful quality armor with a 15% bonus, you would degrade in 1% increments down to 10% (the equivalent of superior so you could only lose a total of 1 quality level if you do it yourself). Master leatherworkers would be able to both repair this degradation (restoring the 15%) and repair without degradation. This way, non-traders are still being penalized and traders still have a desirable service. Everyone else is not penalized as severely, however, to the point that crafting your own armor almost becomes pointless. I know this is being looked at again but figured this might be a more agreeable solution.
Slaidh

Post by Slaidh »

I think traders need some other benefits that aren't strictly based on crafting, if having them focused on crafting is going to result in everyone else having wacky penalties as a result. I don't mind just making new armor if mine gets messed up, and I don't care of it's only fine and not masterwork, but it's just weird that for some reason I always break my stuff when I try to repair it, yet I am also capable of making exquisite stuff from scratch.

If we want traders to be the cream of the crop for crafting, maybe only they should have a chance for masterwork crafts. Of course I would expect a master Dwaedn Wyr or Templar smith to be able to make weaponry as good as some pansy trader who doesn't have any experience with actually wielding a weapon. But if traders really feel like they need something in crafting that nobody else gets, then whatever. Or give them restrictive access to special materials that nobody else can get. So if you want a supersteel axe, you have to go to a trader because only traders know how to make supersteel and they're not sharing the secret. That would make sense to me.

While we're on the subject, why are they called traders if their focus is on crafting? Shouldn't they be called artisans or something instead? I figured traders would be good at making money, maybe able to bribe NPCs and get into different factions by bribes or by virtue of being a neutral trader, have access to special stores and merchants for unique items that they could then keep or sell to others in turn, managing caravan routes. Stuff like that. I expect them to be trading and making deals, not sweating away in workshops. Not saying they need to be changed, the semantics just always bugged me. Had to get it off my chest.
Elma exclaims, "Let a woman rest, burn you!"
Elma hurls a bolt of flame at a limping infested merchant. Fireball hits the eyeball, vaporizing it and much more.
Note: Don't bother Elma while she's resting.
Skjotur

Post by Skjotur »

[quote=Landion]
- Wooden weapons, such as staves and bows will be able to be repaired via druidry! I suspect Rithiel and Rias will want to release a few guild skills based on this in the future.
[/quote]

I hate to nag but is this something we can expect sooner, or later?
-Hamlin Garland

Return to “General Announcements”