A Tale of Two Bridges

The new home of the Western Coalition.
Sleilax

A Tale of Two Bridges

Post by Sleilax »

So in CLOK we pilot around using cardinal directions and special exit names. For the most part the separation between stuff that is reached through the cardinal directions or through using it's exit name make some sort of logical sense. In Haiban the bridges make no sense. If I want to go west or east from the river I must type 'go footbridge' while it should be obvious that if I wish to go west or east I would do so by using the only available means of accomplishing that, the footbridge. These bridges are on the pet peeve level of wet jeans.
Kiyaani

Re: A Tale of Two Bridges

Post by Kiyaani »

You could just go through the market. I don't mind them, but I can see how they might be jarring considering they're a bit unique.
Barius

Post by Barius »

I'll be honest, I didn't like the forcing in of the footbridge exits there either. I've used the market road just about ever since. I can't stand it. I also feel like many go exits are arbitrary and there just for the sake of breaking up the area. It causes serious issues with people like me who need cardinal directions to help make a mental map of an area.

But yeah. Agreed. I like them in some places, in others not at all.
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

I can see why they are there at least I think. I never even realized there were bridges in Haiban until they had specific exits for them. And there are worse places I can think of by far, heh. I don't really mind them all that much, though I don't think I've ever gone to the trouble of crossing one heh.
Life is like a box of chocolates. The caramel filled ones are the best.
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

One thing to note, before those footbridges were added as actual functional bridges, there was no way to get a wagon across to that side of town. I was always far more frustrated by that than the change from a directional exit to a portal exit.

Personally, if I see a room description that indicates the character should be able to interact with something, then I think it should be an actual item not just something mentioned in the description. I'd rather have more detail going into the room descriptions and descriptive items within them than just like "Oh yeah, there's a bridge, type east to cross it.".

Either way, I'm actively working on Haiban, like, right this moment. You may have noticed some changes already, and a lot of it you won't see until the rest of it opens up, which could be days, weeks, or months depending on how steady my inspiration (and free time is), but it's all subject to change, and a large portion of old Haiban is going to be restructured and redistributed into the new Haiban to help alleviate some of the over-crowding we currently have.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

Personally I've always liked how crowded Haiban is. It gives it a very busy feeling that I think goes well with the town that the Western Coalition is based out of.
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.

Return to “Haiban”