Events will happen - with or without players

General discussion of events in CLOK.
Jirato
DEV

Events will happen - with or without players

Post by Jirato »

So, Rias and I were having a discussion last week about running events and how sometimes there's just not anyone around to participate, even if we make significant attempt to involve players. There was one particular thing last week that we tried to drum up interest over ESP and were met with a pretty much "Meh, doesn't concern me." kind of attitude. So, we just went with it anyway.

I'm thinking that this new paradigm in running events would actually be beneficial for everyone involved. Players won't see stalemates where nothing happens for months on end, and GMs won't get frustrated when there's something (that we think is) uber cool we want to do and no one seems to care.

So, be warned. Stuff is going to be happening, and you might not be around to see it. But at least we can finally clear up some of this stuff that's been pending for the last several months.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Dorn

Re: Events will happen - with or without players

Post by Dorn »

+1

If anything because I'm fed up with "Doesn't concern me" attitude as well and also because I love logging in to hear about what chaos/disaster has happened.
~Dorn
Uyoku takes a bite of her smelly skunk poop.
vidor

Post by vidor »

I love this idea. My first thought is "how will we know what's going on," but I see that as a design component rather than a flaw. Perhaps we could encourage/create a way for pcs (and npcs) to write news which would then be spread, rather through newspaper, notes on message boards, or town cryers (maybe all of the above). Could be something interesting for the mummers to get involved in.
Dorn

Post by Dorn »

I think there is already this to a degree, Vidor. Some people are remarkably close-lipped about even a stone turning over in the middle of the forest, while others definitely like to gather information and are willing to spread it around. If more stuff happens, I imagine those who like to chat/gossip, will keep on doing it.

And I know personally, a few people received a very informative message written by someone at the former Lady of Mistral Lake's demise.

So. Yeah, probably just see more of it which is cool.
~Dorn
Kent

Post by Kent »

Well, when it's something important, why not give 24 hours notice via Twitter so people can plan
to be there. If there's an ESP announcement by an unknown ESP'er, vaguely worded, it's easy to
see why some players may not want to drop what they're doing on the spot to see what some prankster
may be babbling on about. And good players may not even be logged in to hear it.

So after the Tweet and 24 hours notice, by all means make the event go on with or without players.

Maybe players can submit their work schedules via Google sheets or something, if 4 active players all work
Wednesday nights, then that's likely the wrong time for the Assault on Corvus.
- Kent "Gunney" Gunderman

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
vidor

Post by vidor »

Dorn wrote:I think there is already this to a degree, Vidor. Some people are remarkably close-lipped about even a stone turning over in the middle of the forest, while others definitely like to gather information and are willing to spread it around. If more stuff happens, I imagine those who like to chat/gossip, will keep on doing it.

And I know personally, a few people received a very informative message written by someone at the former Lady of Mistral Lake's demise.

That's a great point. I feel like information travels fast in the right circles, which are typically made up of more experienced players. It can be a little daunting for those of us who are new (or playing a new character) but, again, that's a design component not a flaw. Maybe some player will take it upon themselves to start spreading information... :)
Dorn

Post by Dorn »

vidor wrote:
Dorn wrote:I think there is already this to a degree, Vidor. Some people are remarkably close-lipped about even a stone turning over in the middle of the forest, while others definitely like to gather information and are willing to spread it around. If more stuff happens, I imagine those who like to chat/gossip, will keep on doing it.

That's a great point. I feel like information travels fast in the right circles, which are typically made up of more experienced players. It can be a little daunting for those of us who are new (or playing a new character) but, again, that's a design component not a flaw. Maybe some player will take it upon themselves to start spreading information... :)
I mostly think that is because for some reason a lot of people have a massive taboo of talking about stuff on ESP.
~Dorn
ydia

Post by ydia »

Jirato wrote:So, Rias and I were having a discussion last week about running events and how sometimes there's just not anyone around to participate, even if we make significant attempt to involve players. There was one particular thing last week that we tried to drum up interest over ESP and were met with a pretty much "Meh, doesn't concern me." kind of attitude. So, we just went with it anyway.

I'm thinking that this new paradigm in running events would actually be beneficial for everyone involved. Players won't see stalemates where nothing happens for months on end, and GMs won't get frustrated when there's something (that we think is) uber cool we want to do and no one seems to care.

So, be warned. Stuff is going to be happening, and you might not be around to see it. But at least we can finally clear up some of this stuff that's been pending for the last several months.
As a new player I'm still trying to get my footing in the game, and the game does seem to be more grinding than rp to me at this point, but I hope that changes. It is just trying to get caught up, and hell knowing the basics to start if you already have a big interest is a bit hard to find. I think there needs to be something done more. Thanks to Kent, and some friends I've stuck with the game, but if it wasn't for them, I probably wouldn't have because I was so confused at first.
You overhear the bartender exclaim to a patron, "What do you mean, you just want water?! Fine, fine ... but you'd better at least buy something to eat."
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

ydia wrote: As a new player I'm still trying to get my footing in the game, and the game does seem to be more grinding than rp to me at this point, but I hope that changes. It is just trying to get caught up, and hell knowing the basics to start if you already have a big interest is a bit hard to find. I think there needs to be something done more. Thanks to Kent, and some friends I've stuck with the game, but if it wasn't for them, I probably wouldn't have because I was so confused at first.
We're always glad to hear any feedback and suggestions regarding the new player experience and making the game more accessible to first time players. If you or anyone else has any suggestions, feel free to send them our way in the feature requests and suggestions board.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Kierae

Post by Kierae »

Just want to say the way events at Mistral Lake have been playing out recently, it's really neat to see posts on the town boards that change with events.

It reinforces the fact that there are NPCs running about living their lives in the world as well as the PCs. Also a huge plus for players on a different timezone who almost never get to witness events personally, but can read about the aftermath after the fact.

Considering the esp chatter is almost minimal around these hours as well, it helps players on different timezones to seek out events with the prompting from town board details rather than wait for some stray esp chatter or word of mouth to occur to pick up on stuff sometimes.
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

Jirato wrote:So, Rias and I were having a discussion last week about running events and how sometimes there's just not anyone around to participate, even if we make significant attempt to involve players. There was one particular thing last week that we tried to drum up interest over ESP and were met with a pretty much "Meh, doesn't concern me." kind of attitude. So, we just went with it anyway.

+1
Life is like a box of chocolates. The caramel filled ones are the best.
merin
CLOK Patron

Post by merin »

That's great. I'm glad things are going to be happening without us -- it is an ever changing world.

On the other side of this, though, if we see something and ask about it and get nothing, I for one am going to lose interest pretty quick. Why are the pale guards in mistral in Haiban, wandering around? No one knew. Thinking and sending inquiries out on ESP and to other people seemed to not provide even a hint towards progressing the happenings. I guess what I'm saying is someone sends a cryptic message on ESP or doesn't respond at times to people trying to gather information before leaping into things or trying to get involved...maybe it's too cryptic. Glad to hear we'll be waking up to new news, though.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

merin wrote:Why are the pale guards in mistral in Haiban, wandering around? No one knew.
On our own flip side, sometimes things happen but the underlying reasons aren't meant to be revealed or be part of a big thing that very moment. The fact that people have noticed those guys wandering around is a win to me. Sometimes the NPCs are busy doing things, and you all may notice them going here and there and doing stuff, but their reasons won't be made apparent that day or even that week. What's important is that you see them doing stuff, and are reminded that "hey, other people besides player characters are out and about doing things." Then you get to wonder what those NPCs are so busy about.
The lore compels me!
merin
CLOK Patron

Post by merin »

That is a good reminder. Sometimes, although we think that NPCs are running around (duh), to blatently see it when it is out of the ordinary causes, well me at least, to go what's going on? when, in fact, it could be just that. people from mistral going to the spah.
Akila
Mentor

Post by Akila »

I now have a wonderful image of the Commendant and the pale guards in fluffy bathrobes, enjoying a dip and a massage.

I for one enjoy seeing NPCs going about mundane tasks and coming to life, suspiciously or not and possibly leading up to a big event. Keeps us on our toes.
vidor wrote:I love this idea. My first thought is "how will we know what's going on," but I see that as a design component rather than a flaw. Perhaps we could encourage/create a way for pcs (and npcs) to write news which would then be spread, rather through newspaper, notes on message boards, or town cryers (maybe all of the above). Could be something interesting for the mummers to get involved in.
With regards to the spreading of information and happenings, Akila does what she can to weave a story out of it and get it spread. But from an OOC prospective, I just don't have the time to write it out, copy it and distribute it, though I do like this idea. Besides, this mummer enjoys seeing the reactions and resulting discussions from what she tells.
[CHAT - Mayor Bryce of Bryceburgh]: It's that funny metal thing you put in your mouth, Galon, and then it goes "Boing, doing, dwang, dwang, doing, ding, boing, dwahng."
04:06:02 [CHAT - Mayor Bryce of Bryceburgh]: You know, the thing Snoopy plays to help Charlie Brown remember "i before e, except after c"
Solaje

Post by Solaje »

Haven't been in lately, but I always return sooner or later, so I thought I'd add a couple thoughts:

1. I wish people shared more on ESP. This was already touched on, but it's something that's bothered me. There have been a lot of times that I hear something, ask for details over the pendant, and am greeted with silence or vague non-answers. This leads me to ride around randomly, often to no avail. I don't have a lot of recreation time and I get frustrated with this as a player.

2. I realize people shouldn't share a lot of IG secrets by OOC means, but I feel that some sharing about event times and places is necessary and good for the game. We don't actually live in Clok, but our characters do and are likely to hear rumors and news of world changing happenings.

Glad to hear stuff is still going on. Good luck to you all!
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

I'm hoping to get some kind of CLOK event calendar set up. Not every event will be on there (a lot of stuff happens/gets incited spontaneously), but I think it'll help a lot.
The lore compels me!
Solaje

Post by Solaje »

Player submitted rumors full of information/misinformation would be fun. I saw something like it in another MUD a few months ago, but I can't remember which one!
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

Rias wrote:I'm hoping to get some kind of CLOK event calendar set up. Not every event will be on there (a lot of stuff happens/gets incited spontaneously), but I think it'll help a lot.
Oh yeah, I was supposed to get that set up... whoops.
vidor

Post by vidor »

I like the idea of player-created rumors. Or at least heavier use of rumors in taverns and the like.
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

vidor wrote:I like the idea of player-created rumors. Or at least heavier use of rumors in taverns and the like.
I recently revamped the rumor system so that any GM can add/edit/delete rumors without having to hard-code them into our rumors file. Hopefully this means they'll see some more use.
Dorn

Post by Dorn »

vidor wrote:I like the idea of player-created rumors. Or at least heavier use of rumors in taverns and the like.
Love it. I think a lot of rumors are out there already to be honest, but due to the fact some people have the whole ESP taboooooo it would be nice to see them spread via other means.
~Dorn
ydia

Post by ydia »

A calendar would help a lot I agree.
You overhear the bartender exclaim to a patron, "What do you mean, you just want water?! Fine, fine ... but you'd better at least buy something to eat."

Return to “General Events”