Is your character religious?

Discussion about the Immortals, AKA gods, deities, etc.
Orris

Is your character religious?

Post by Orris »

When I say religious, I specifically mean: Do they serve or worship an Immortal?

My character serves Nereia, I think most people know that by now. Part of it is cultural, he's a Parren sailor and fisherman, so he obviously favors the Sea Goddess. However he also has some more personal reasons which I will leave to be shared IC. He also highly respects Vodr and Verungnr, and he tries to acknowledge Naia as related to Nereia and Vodr, but Nereia is his primary dedication by far.

Just wondering if there are any other religious characters out there. I never seem to see any!
Avedri

Re: Is your character religious?

Post by Avedri »

Every week my character goes to (now) the Church in Mistral Lake and prays formally in the Viali style and then casually for those she knows. Though I've only actually made time to do this in game a few times, I assume it's one of the things she's doing when I can't be logged in.

Though she would not and has not been against seeking out other Immortals when needing to be guided by their sphere of influence.
Last edited by Avedri on Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sona

Post by sona »

My character is exploring religion, her primary drawing seems to be towards the Mountain Father, but she also is interested in the great bear spirit.
Lacie

Post by Lacie »

If the Gaea counts, very much so. It's a big part of what motivates her. She also worships some of the non-Druidic Immortals, like Atmos, Naia, and Nereia, though it's not a big focus so much as flavor. She respects/acknowledges all of them, though.
Lysse

Post by Lysse »

I'd imagine that Lysse counts as religious, or at least 'highly spiritual' in the absence of an organized religion she follows.
“There is always a choice."
"You mean I could choose certain death?"
"A choice nevertheless, or perhaps an alternative. You see I believe in freedom. Not many people do, although they will of course protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.”
Lae

Post by Lae »

Lae spends at least an hour on any given day at the altar in the Shadgard Church. She cleans there and reads that tome, because the lessons in there are worth reading more than once.
http://i.imgur.com/SuO0Fej.gif
[FROM Rias (OOC)]: Jaster can now pick the lock on your bathroom door. I don't want any more details on that bug report.
You ask, "Are we there yet?"
Bryce angrily says, "I will turn this horse RIGHT AROUND."
Speaking to you, Jaster exclaims, "Compassion, Sister Lae!"
Dorn

Post by Dorn »

Dorn wants to feel a connection to the Mountain Father, but doesn't. For him, it isn't so much as being religious as being a stray dog trying to scavenge scraps from the table. He wants to belong, but because of what he is he never will and is resentful. Probably sums up Dorn in a nutshell though. Twisted and bitter.
~Dorn
Uyoku takes a bite of her smelly skunk poop.
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

Fayne is pretty religious. She acknowledges all Huec gods, but her main focus is Teonanactl. I won't say too much on it, but her whole purpose and her goals are all inspired by the Immortal.

I guess in a way she's kinda anti-religious as well, since she is a druid, but doesn't actually see the Gaea as an actual entity like most others do. She just kinda plays along with the other druids and doesn't say anything about her personal beliefs because anytime it has come up, more important things were being discussed and there was no need for additional conflict. I will say that she will be revealing this belief soon IC, so yay drama!

(P.S. All of you who have heard Fayne refer to overlogging and such as "hurting the Gaea" in-character, just realize that is much easier to say than her actual belief of what is happening, and since everyone understands what she means when she says it, why try coming up with something else to say?)
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.
Isiaa

Post by Isiaa »

Somewhat.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

From time to time Stranger does go to a certain place to offer certain prayers. So, I would say he is religious.
"No one knows whether death, which people fear to be the greatest evil, may not be the greatest good."
Plato
preiman
CLOK Patron

Post by preiman »

maric is devoted to the Mount an Father. but he also reveres and seeks guidance from Serafina on most things. it may even be fair to say he worships both of them in different ways.
note in most cases his idea of these immortals is a bit different from most peoples.
"I don't think we're ever going to find out what is going on with these canim, where are they coming from?!"
Kent arrives from the southeast.
Kent hugs you.
say um
You say, "Um."
a Mistral Lake sentry arrives from the east, armor clanking.
Kent heads north.
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

Hmm~ I would say my character belevies in the immortals, but doesn't worship one. He is a bit too practical to think of them that way, more just respects their powers. He also has little doubt that they exist in a very real way, unlike the general idea of being unsure of the immortals existence.
Life is like a box of chocolates. The caramel filled ones are the best.
Lavi

Post by Lavi »

I'd have to say that Ben is Religious but he's kind of Practical and hard, so even if asked he wouldn't go as far as talking about it with many, and He's kind of one of those strays from the path kind of guys. Lavi is very Religious however and has a deep respect for the torchbearer.
[ESP-GRAY - Shadowy-Gray]: No no (player) , you were right, it's wonderful. I think I'll send in my application today. I can't wait to partake in the parties there. I just have one question, will I need to kidnap my own child, or will there be some there for those who are un able to.
Mooshie

Post by Mooshie »

Good question! It's something I have been going over in my head with Mooshie. His mother is Viali, so he heard all the tales of Serafina and her Aengels and all that growing up, and being part hill folk he would also have a respect for Safi the Golden as well. His father took up his mothers surname, for reasons Mooshie never bothered to learn, and from him learned a bit about Bogvaskr. Personally Mooshie found that respecting and worshipping Bogvaskr easier then constantly going to Church every week. He prefers to live life on his own terms, in the wild, hunting or fishing what he needs to eat, and living free. Bogvaskr resonated with his own ideas for the most part.

Mooshie is not one obsessed with vengeance smiting evil and all that, but accept a simple truth, sometimes good people have to do bad things in order to set things right. All in all, I would also say he has a kind of respect for the land and nature spirits that dwell within. He lives in the wilds, respects the dangers that come from living that sort of life, but also appreciates the freedom and beauty of it all. You won't find Mooshie hugging trees, or praying over the body of a wolf he just killed. He's more the type to respect a mother deer and her fawn, and not put an arrow through them if he's hunting for food, and if he runs into a wolf that does not get too uppity, He would Probabbly share a meal and a warm fire.

Sorry for necroing this thread, just gave me a lot to ponder today!
Sneaky

Post by Sneaky »

Coanid doesn't believe in most immortals in the traditional sense. He more or less thinks they're for the most part over glorified undying who have done seemingly super natural things. There are a select few that he believes may in fact be super natural entities, but he doesn't believe they're looking out for their follower's best interest. He believes they're more likely helping those they help in order to further their own agendas. He does feel like their is a goddess of luck who for whatever reason smiles upon him from time to time however, even though he's found no mentions about one from the few knowledgeable individuals he's come across. That doesn't mean he goes out of his way to disrespect any of them, but he doesn't submit himself to the adoration that others might. At his core, he's a skeptic.
[FROM Liani (OOC)]: It's an ice cream conehead
You also notice a bronze crossbow bolt (x8) and the corpse of a slender pale white cave drakolin.
Alila softly compliments, "Thank you for the story--you were all excellent."
[CHAT - Lore Hermit Rias (Retired) (Discord)]: @Alila is crazypants
Elystole

Post by Elystole »

Elystole has a healthy respect - and fear - of Verungnr and Aranas. And a sort of mournful longing for Undm.

He doesn't believe in justice. The work that he does is vengeance, and he thinks that what most people call "justice" is just vengeance with a more palatable name. He's cursed the wicked in Verungnr's name, wishing that the Abyssal Horror would drag their souls into the depths and keep them from coming back, and he's expressed a grim hope for certain souls to be devoured though he doesn't invoke either entity by their names. Only by their epithets. At the very least he is well aware of the fact that he is operating within their portfolios and that means showing respect.

On the other hand, Elystole also thinks he is damned and he fully expects one of those two deities to eventually claim his soul. He doesn't think he's a good person. They might even be why he is Undying. He doesn't know if he is Undying because one of them took an interest in his work and pulled him aside to see what he would do, or if he is being blocked from crossing over until he fulfills a certain quota for them, or something else entirely. All he knows is that when he died Undm rejected him and he woke up still on Arad. And he's died many times since then.

Which is why he sort of longs for Undm's approval. His wife is on the other side, but he's been denied entry. So he has a quieter respect for Undm for Keeping her soul while also wondering why he was deemed unworthy.

As it stands, Elystole sees his life finally ending in one of four ways:
1. Verungnr drags his soul into the Abyss.
2. Aranas strings his soul up in the sky to be consumed.
3. He's doomed as a sort of wandering shade of vengeance.
4. Undm, for some reason he can't fathom, finally relents and grants him admittance into the hereafter.

He doesn't talk about Undm because he doesn't talk about his life before he crossed the Wall, but he chanced upon a legendary figurine of her that he keeps. He has no idea what she wants. I'd say he is really active in his worship of Verungnr and Aranas, and over time he has acquired a number of items reflecting that. His revolvers and his arms are dedicated to one or the other. His sunsteel handaxe is dedicated to Verungnr since Aranas is down with the nethrim and he favors Vergungnr more.

And if you think about it: Almost every PC he has killed has been a vengeance killing. He doesn't forgive; he doesn't forget. The man is rabid about sending the Undying to either Immortal to answer for their crimes.
a claw-etched steel barreled revolver with a polished coral handle wrote: Etchings of clawed hands grasping at the barrel overlap from the handle to the end of the cylinder. Each of the clawed hands are different in some respect, some are slim and feminine and some are very masculine. Burnished birch surrounds an inlay of ivory-dappled coral, giving the handle a smooth yet very polished look.
a web-etched steel flintlock revolver with a polished bone handle wrote: This shining steel revolver has been well cared for. Etched along the barrel of the weapon are dull silver spiderwebs. Near the smooth bone handle eight pinpoints of aquamarine has been inlaid into the metal, giving the impression of eyes staring out of shadow.
a keen-edged sunsteel handaxe with a carved ebonwood haft wrote: This weapon is hard to look away from. Etchings start at the head of the handaxe with hordes of demons and other terrifying monsters clawing at the metal. They descend toward the haft that has been carved to resemble tentacles. The curling and grasping wood almost looks to be wrapped around the demons at the base of the head, their struggle plain to anyone viewing it.
a black ink scene tattooed on his arms wrote:Ebon ink marks both arms from the curve of the shoulders to the wrist. On the right arm a series of tentacles writhe around the appendage, the detail showing the bumps on the leathery skin and the suction cups underneath. The tentacles rise out of a series of waves that seem to encircle the entire arm. On the left arm a series of spiderwebs interconnect down the entire arm. Dark shadows form spider-like creatures with eyes pinpointed in pale blue.
You overhear the following rumor:
"I saw one of those Shadgard folk come barging into Grif's and shoot one of the patrons on the spot. Shadgard must be a pretty rough place with such outlaws running rampant."
Teek

Post by Teek »

Ever since I had a conversation with Maric, I've pondering if Teek is religious at all. I try to do my best in making sure his background is a bit realistic considering his culture. With all that said, I don't think Teek is overly religious. I mean, he respects folks who are religious, but for him, it is not a personal relationship. His view on most Immortals is that some are good, some are downright crazy, but he generally lives his life not pondering them unless there is a reason to. The closest that would come to Diety status for Teek would be Saint Sifa the Golden, and he views her as more of an example of what one person can do in the face of hardship... A paragon of Hillfolk, I guess. Now, having said all THAT..

I do think Teek is superstitious. Considering the lore I've read, I would not be surprised if a number of Hillfolk were as well. Escaping Aetgard and making through the Fey Forest seems almost miraculous, and even if Hillfolk are not religious, I would think those experiences would leave an imprint in their minds, and on the culture itself...there are many things in this world that are dangerous, and it might be best not to piss them off.

So, while Teek is certainly gruff and grumpy most of the time, he is a normal guy with normal fears, and is willing to believe something could work that might not make sense! He carries around a little Good Luck charmbag that he had made, and he honestly believes it brings him luck. The oils and candles or sale at this festival? You can be sure he will be getting himself a few, just in case. Diving Rod? He might scoff and folks who say they can talk to trees, but he certainly believes that this stick could lead him to water or minerals if he needs it.

So, religious? Nah. He'll honor each of the Immortals as he feels the need, except those creepy ones that tend to go against his moral standards. Superstitious? You bet. In his world of protecting people from Infested, Netherim, and Canim? He's gonna take all the help he can get.
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

I'm not superstitious. I'm just stitious.
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Bryce got kicked out of the Cult of Kebyet because all the members kept trying to set him up to replace Kebyet. It's all in the hair.

He has some actual religious leanings, but he doesn't talk about them much. I think most people who know him know he at least recognizes Serafina, but it gets more complicated than that.
ask jes for date
The horse thief Jessie doesn't seem too interested in talking about that.

Return to “Immortals”