Guild Rank and Promotion Points

Arphaxad

Guild Rank and Promotion Points

Post by Arphaxad »

Can we consider putting the guild rank and promotion points back into the guild command?

With the roll out of the general abilities guild rank is mostly obsolete, but there are still some guild actions that are tied to guild rank. For example, you may need to be a certain rank before you can initiate another player into the guild. We need to know if and when we make that threshold.

I don't want this to become a discussion about guild rank and GM/IC interaction, we can save that for another thread. I'd just like the GUILD command restored to its former glory and usefulness.

Thanks,

Arphaxad
Last edited by Arphaxad on Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OOC - Ramses the Wise]: Don't make me stop the world again.
Vaylon

Re: Guild Rank and Promotion Points

Post by Vaylon »

I agree with this suggestion. We're still able to receive promotions, after all.
"I hope you have not been leading a double life, pretending to be wicked and being really good all the time. That would be hypocrisy." - The Importance of Being Earnest, Oscar Wilde
ydia

Post by ydia »

I'd like to see this.
You overhear the bartender exclaim to a patron, "What do you mean, you just want water?! Fine, fine ... but you'd better at least buy something to eat."
Noctere
Coder

Post by Noctere »

What do you mean by "cab initiate"? Are you referring to an individual who can instantly initiate another into their guild without another faction members approval? If so then you should be aware that this ability has nothing to do with guild rank and cannot be obtained via any mechanical, grinded or scripted means. It is an IC gift often given to select members who have been around for a long time, exemplify their faction standards in all they do and in the eyes of the leadership, have truly earned it. This ability cannot be asked for, npcmailed for or otherwise requested. It is simply given.

Are their any other reasons why you feel that guild ranks should be shown?
It's not easy being evil...
Arphaxad

Post by Arphaxad »

Noctere,

Sorry about that, it was a typo 'can initiate' is what is should be. (I fixed it, good catch)

I was not referring specifically to the ability to solo-initiate. I was referring to the rank required to recommend/approve a candidate for initiation. In sending candidates to other members for review/approval was told OOCly that the faction member lacked the guild rank to do so. That was my primary reason for request guild rank and promotion points.

Thanks for the information on the solo-initiate ability. I was not aware. It was my 'assumption' that guild rank played some part in the selection process. Obviously I was wrong.

Arphaxad
ydia

Post by ydia »

I do think it would be cool to see how many guild points you have though.
You overhear the bartender exclaim to a patron, "What do you mean, you just want water?! Fine, fine ... but you'd better at least buy something to eat."
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

My problem with guild rank is it makes people think they're some sort of special figure in their guild if they're uber high rank, even though all it really means is they've grinded a lot of tasks.

Guild standing should be measured by something else like faction earned through RP than just rank which can be grinded. If any guilds still use rank-based mechanics, we should probably migrate them towards a faction-based system instead rather than re-enabling rank displays.

Which guilds actually use ranks still? Just the ones that have player initiation systems?
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
ydia

Post by ydia »

I like getting the titles for fun. But if there is going to be an in character ranking system you should have to meet certain requirements besides here grind tasks. like rp requirements.
Akila
Mentor

Post by Akila »

The mummers have a rank-based "reward", unless I am mistaken and I was able to do this through my rp or it has been changed since then.
[CHAT - Mayor Bryce of Bryceburgh]: It's that funny metal thing you put in your mouth, Galon, and then it goes "Boing, doing, dwang, dwang, doing, ding, boing, dwahng."
04:06:02 [CHAT - Mayor Bryce of Bryceburgh]: You know, the thing Snoopy plays to help Charlie Brown remember "i before e, except after c"
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

Akila wrote:The mummers have a rank-based "reward", unless I am mistaken and I was able to do this through my rp or it has been changed since then.
Mummers are faction-based, those rewards are earned through RP.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

I just want them ranks for the titles, lol. It would be convenient to be able to see how far I am from the next rank, though your personal rank can still be checked as is if you enable the option in profile and profile yourself. As for ranks not being an indication of status in the guild... well, grinding tasks is still doing guild work right? As far as I was aware, that was pretty much the daily work of most people in guilds, making sure to keep up with tasks. If someone has a truly monstrous guild rank, I can see them not necessarily having a leadership position, but I would think it would at least have some affect on your interactions with the guild. "That guy there has completed more jobs than anyone in recent history!" "This guy is the best of the best, they say he's completed every job given to him without refusing" "That guys been here for years, but he doesn't do much work, eh?" As general thoughts.
Life is like a box of chocolates. The caramel filled ones are the best.
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Could just base the titles on point totals instead of ranks.
ask jes for date
The horse thief Jessie doesn't seem too interested in talking about that.
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

Noctere wrote:Are their any other reasons why you feel that guild ranks should be shown?
Personally I miss it because it's nice to know exactly where I stand in the guild. It keeps my goals within the guild from being OOC in that I have to grind to gain skills. I like feeling useful within a guild without really much reward. I like the evidence shown by the guild itself that I'm actually doing something.

Titles for me aren't a big deal since I don't use any guild titles on OOC communication to begin with with any of my characters.
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

I think sometime in the past 11 months, I re-enabled ranks and points in the guild command. I don't really feel it's needed, but just adding it as a note here - this has been done.

Return to “General Guild Discussion”