General Task Discussion

Rithiel

General Task Discussion

Post by Rithiel »

I've been tweaking what sorts of critters you will get for tasks, but in order to find a good range, I need some feedback. Please post your thoughts on how hard or easy your task is, as well as some information on your character (like guild and highest offensive skill, in particular).

And fair warning: as I try to find a good range, there will be stealth changes to this.
A cheerful jingle intones, "Rithenschmirtz Evil Incorporateeeed!"
[OOC - Candy Mountain, Spearhead]: usually when they're snarky, it's Rithiel
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

On Kian, I've found that the most challenging area that isn't impossible for me to hunt at is currently the Concord. It's difficult but by no means impossible. Places like the Dusklamp Thermal tunnels are probably within my reach too, but because the Udemi are focused on ranged combat with bows, carrying a lantern tends to be pretty detrimental to the way I fight. His highest offensive skill is aeromancy, at 164.

However, on Coran I've been sent (as recently as last night) to Old Dusklamp, and my highest offensive skill is melee at 21 (with chained weapons at 16). I've attempted fighting at Old Dusklamp before, and it ended up with failure.

My Utasa character Argent is getting sent to the town of Taruekua, with his highest offense skill tied between swords and melee both at 50, and considering the hounds in that area are distinctly more powerful than the guards (or it seems as such in any case), it might be a little more difficult than necessary.
Morgoth, I cried
All hope is gone but I swear revenge
Hear my oath
I will take part in your damned fate
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

Also, my Rook Marceline (her highest offense is marksmanship at 63 followed by melee at 57) is getting sent to the thermal tunnels for tasks.
Morgoth, I cried
Hear my oath
Xzean

Post by Xzean »

At 90 staves 90 dodge and 100 marks with 8 perception I am being given bandit camp tasks.
"The effort to understand the universe is one of the very few things that lifts human life a little above the level of farce, and gives it some of the grace of tragedy." `Steven Weinburg
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

My highest weapon skill is somewhere between 1250 and 1750 and my dodge and melee are lower than that. I keep getting tasks to kill dangerous infested bowmen and sentries in the logging camp (Their R/M is somewhere between 2200 and 2600 because I like ranges). These attempts are rarely successful due to the 1.5x modifier and disparate skills.
20:21:01 [CHAT - (a mysterious GM)]: With obvious effort, Zuki pries up a thick scale over a drakolin's chest! Zuki spearhand-strikes the soft, unprotected area under the scale! Heart ruptured, death follows immediately. A drakolin lets out a final bellow of rage and falls lifeless to the ground.
Evelyn
Mentor

Post by Evelyn »

Sounds like my skills on Liana, Xzean, and I get set there as well. I'm also able to handle them, so the issue might be more that something in your skills is unbalanced, or you aren't doing something right in combat.

The tasks to get herbs from the canyon are the worst I get, they are icky and I die a lot. :P
Last edited by Evelyn on Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Rig-Jarl Bjorn gives you a bone-crushing bearhug.
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

Also, I don't know if this thread would be in regards to herb tasks as well, or even survey tasks, but could there be increased GP earned for survey and herb tasks that send one into dangerous territory?
Morgoth, I cried
Hear my oath
rhunara

Post by rhunara »

The hydromancy survey tasks are sort of hit and miss. The difficulty hasn't seemed to change with skill level increase (though it's only been about 60 pts). You get sent to really dangerous places (red lake, dusk lamp, etc.) but since you don't have to kill anything, it's not really a big deal. After you learn the rooms you need to survey (lots of exploration involved here in the beginning), it's all about how fast you can run by dangerous mobs. The Stone Canyon surveys (esp. Red Lake) are probably the most dangerous, since once those mountain lions knock you down, there's very little chance of you getting away.

By the way, one of the main reasons I stopped playing my Udemi was because the tasks were kill infested creature tasks, which required a lot of dummy practicing to do. I didn't want to bot just to be able to start my character.
Landion

Post by Landion »

The Thermal Tunnel thing shouldn't be happening anymore.

I've rearranged the critters around Dusklamp a bit so that it teirs a bit more evenly.

The spread is now:

Spirits and carriers up top, Trogs and plague walkers in mid tunnel area, and zombies and Trogs in the thermal tunnels. I may still adjust this if it continues to prove troublesome.

Hopefully that helps with unruly Dusklamp thermal tunnel tasks that new folks kept getting. I think you may still get tasks for the upper tunnel area, but at least there the worst you have to deal with is the trogs instead of zombies too.
No longer GMing for CLOK.
Xzean

Post by Xzean »

Just got another thermal tunnel task. However it was a survey, so you might have missed those?
"The effort to understand the universe is one of the very few things that lifts human life a little above the level of farce, and gives it some of the grace of tragedy." `Steven Weinburg
KianTheArcher

Post by KianTheArcher »

Well unless it's changed since I last asked Rias, there's no set 'difficulty' for survey tasks. So a rank 0 hydromancer can get sent to Red Lake for instance.
Morgoth, I cried
Hear my oath
Xzean

Post by Xzean »

Ah alright. Well, I just got this one so Rooks are still getting them: "The researcher Sullivan says, "There have been some reports lately about a bloated plaguewalker that is particularly powerful compared to others of its kind. We would like you to acquire a soul shred from its corpse and bring it back to us so that we may study it. You should be able to locate it fairly soon after arriving in its native area. It was last seen in the Dusklamp Tunnels area.""
Landion

Post by Landion »

The "Tunnels" area isn't quite as deep as the thermal tunnels and not quite as dangerous. You'll find plaguewalkers and trogledytes there, but no zombies.
No longer GMing for CLOK.
Xzean

Post by Xzean »

Ahhh, my mistake!

Return to “General Guild Discussion”