Octum Lore

Discussion of the cultural side of Arad.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Octum Lore

Post by Rias »

Wondering what's up with all those spirits on the roads at night? Educate yourself on that and other Octum traditions!

http://clok.contrarium.net/index.php?title=Octum
The lore compels me!
Dorn

Re: Octum Lore

Post by Dorn »

How much of this would be common knowledge, Rias? I love lore stuff, but at the same time I do wonder "Just how much would my character know of this or have heard of?"
~Dorn
Uyoku takes a bite of her smelly skunk poop.
Akila
Mentor

Post by Akila »

The link doesn't like me. It's not working :'(
[CHAT - Mayor Bryce of Bryceburgh]: It's that funny metal thing you put in your mouth, Galon, and then it goes "Boing, doing, dwang, dwang, doing, ding, boing, dwahng."
04:06:02 [CHAT - Mayor Bryce of Bryceburgh]: You know, the thing Snoopy plays to help Charlie Brown remember "i before e, except after c"
Tamsin

Post by Tamsin »

doesn't work!
Dorn

Post by Dorn »

~Dorn
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

Fixed the link in the original post.

The Octum lore is widely known in the Lost Lands as well as Karnath (where the Hillfolk live) and Parr. It was a huge deal in the kingdom of Aetgard, and the surviving people/settlements post-plague still carry on most of the traditions in one way or another. Considering ghosts and spirits actually do come out in Octum and there really is a big old dark patch of sky with two blue stars staring down at the world like the eyes of a wraith, this is probably some of the most well- and widely-known lore in the region. It's not really something one can just have never chanced to hear or read about, considering how major it is and all the rituals/traditions/festivals that surround it.

So, I'd say anyone who has spent at least one Octum in the Lost Lands, Karnath, or Parr has likely heard all about it, if not actively sought out ("What's with all those ghosts out on the roads? Why are people dressing up as nethrim? Why are people knocking on doors and asking for charms? What are all these carved pumpkin lanterns I see everywhere?"), then simply due to hearing all the chatter, excitement, and preparations from the people in settlements as Octum approaches and arrives. Unless your character is living under a rock out in the wilderness somewhere (which, to be fair, some do), they've heard a good deal about this Octum stuff even if not having actively sought the knowledge.
The lore compels me!
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

P.S. The Pumpkin Lantern stuff specifically is a particularly well-established tradition in Shadgard, though certainly not unknown elsewhere.
The lore compels me!
Dorn

Post by Dorn »

Thanks Rias.
~Dorn

Return to “Culture”