THINK and RITUAL

A place to give positive feedback and compliments to your fellow roleplayers! Logs welcome!
Jirato
DEV

THINK and RITUAL

Post by Jirato »

The THINK and RITUAL commands are really great to let us know what you're doing. Especially considering we can't be everywhere at once, especially for those of you who play in vastly different time zones. THINK and RITUAL are logged to our discord server and emailed to us in our daily event reports.

However, THINKing or RITUALizing the same thing over and over again, can come across as disingenuous. An important part of using it is to not just spam the same thing over and over again with the idea that "If I do this enough, the GMs will definitely see and take notice!". We see and take notice of them all. Seeing it over and over again just makes it look like you're trying to game the system and leaves us less inclined to pay attention to it.

For those that don't know, THINK is just between your character and the GMs. It's to let them know what is going through your character's head in a given situation. RITUAL is a substitute for the ACT or EMOTE commands and is for a physical action shown to all characters in a room but is also logged for GM review.

The standard rules for ACT and EMOTE apply to RITUAL. Don't try to use it to bypass mechanics or introduce new mechanics with the idea that "Well, since it's logged for a GM to see, it must be okay.". The big ones on the no-no list for this are is bloodletting, inflicting self-harm, attempting to do something not mechanically possible with magic (particularly sorcery), etc. RITUALizing that you're cutting open your hand and channeling nether into your open wound isn't going to make us come down and taint you (at least, not in a GOOD way). We see this a bit too often.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
preiman
CLOK Patron

Re: THINK and RITUAL

Post by preiman »

I have a character who regularly uses blood in druidic rituals, not necessarily asking for a mechanical benefit to them it’s just how he relates to and Connects with the natural world, is this something I should stop?
"I don't think we're ever going to find out what is going on with these canim, where are they coming from?!"
Kent arrives from the southeast.
Kent hugs you.
say um
You say, "Um."
a Mistral Lake sentry arrives from the east, armor clanking.
Kent heads north.
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

Basically nothing that would imply giving you a wound, without actually giving you a wound.

If you're going to act out stabbing yourself in the hand, you should be taking energy loss and damage in your hand. If you're not, then you're bypassing mechanics by doing it.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
TheCacklackian

Post by TheCacklackian »

If this is in regards to the ritual I preformed not too long ago in a certain not traversed area, then I apologize, I was not doing that in hopes of gaining some mechanical gain or anything like that, and the only time i recall repeating a line was by mistake or when I had a typo. I understand the bit regarding tainting as we had done that a different time, but that was not what the most recently logged ritual was about even remotely. I will try to abstain from using magic when 'ritualing' or emoting in the future.
Maina

Post by Maina »

Some rituals my character performs include spoken prayers. I often use 'recite' for this because it formats better. Is there a way to include the spoken portions for the staff to view? Or if you see a 'ritual' refer to speech, are you capable of checking the logs to see the spoken portions?
[FROM Zeldryn (OOC)]: STOP BEING AMAZING. IT'S AMAZING.

Return to “Roleplaying Feedback and Shout-Outs”