Cache of questions

A place to give positive feedback and compliments to your fellow roleplayers! Logs welcome!
Dorn

Re: Cache of questions

Post by Dorn »

1.) Are there any notable Giganti rituals that are practiced throughout the majority of the Clans?
2.) What would a traditional Giganti wedding be like?
3.) Are there any very racial specific weapons that the Giganti use that we haven't seen from Merchants yet?
4.) How do the Artisans deal with outside competition in regards to work? I mean, I assume the majority of merchants aren't Artisans even in Haiban? Do they aggressively try and get people to join the Coalition who are craftsmen, or do they really not care?
~Dorn
Uyoku takes a bite of her smelly skunk poop.
Teek

Post by Teek »

I know I'm necroing an old thread, but I have questions! First off, is Jirato the lore guy now? If so let him come forth!

I just wanna know How long firearms have been around. I assume they came from Grimand spread, bbut Ijust how recent a recent invention is.

Also, are cannons a thing? I assumed we would not see them in the lost lands perhaps because they are rare and difficult to obtain. I wonder if they are on ships, etc.

Speaking of ships, I know the wall keep those folks in the quarantine locked in, but what'skeeping a pirate or a smuggler from just sailing to Ivali and back?
Dakhal

Post by Dakhal »

I believe it was said before that there isn't just the wall keeping people in, but also a blockade of ships surrounding the perimeter of the quarantined zone as well. Of course, there are still smugglers and perhaps even pirates that have been able to break past the blockade in order to either leave the lands or bring what would be considered forbidden goods into them.

I would say that a blockade would be impossible without cannons, as it's hard to keep one without any means of swift retribution to those who would attempt to break it. But hey, I don't know if there are or aren't.

I am also curious as to how recent of an invention firearms are, seeing as there are both flintlocks and flintlock revolvers, which might be a touch more advanced.
Love me or hate me, both are in my favor. If you love me, I'll always be in your heart. If you hate me, I'll always be in your mind.
I lead a Life of Sin.
Vaelin

Post by Vaelin »

I guess I'm going to perform sorcery on this thread... So rise...

Anyway, if there's another thread more dedicated for this. I'm really really sorry for necroing.

1. Are there settlements, around the lands that aren't hamlets but just a collection of homes that are isolated?
2. Regarding river tade, does it happen at all between the towns... well, Mistral and Haiban, anyway.
3. What's the Parr's general sentiment about their hillfolk kin getting trapped in the quarantene?
4. With Tsee Gaiyen's doing a bang up job outside in controling and purging the resen, are those members who are extremely problematic getting sent into the quarantene a possible punishment.

Also, just going to say that I love love love the lore in the game.
Zeldryn

Post by Zeldryn »

*joins the resurrection circle*

Wow. I really, really, really love this thread right now. I'm sure I can think up a few questions.

1. Is there any form of reliable communication between the inside and outside of the quarantine? More specifically-- Is there a semi-dependable network of postage couriers? Something like a "Pony Express" if you will that runs along the roads that lead from the quarantine to it's borders.

2. Is there anything like the ESP network outside of the quarantine? If so, how long has it been used, and where?

3. I know that the islands of Parr are this huge hub of intercontinental trade, on account of their locale and their peoples' love of ships. However, how many islands are there? Are there larger islands that are more commonly recognised as the "Parr" isles, or is it more just a conglomeration of larger and smaller islands in a similar geographic area?

4. Did Shadgard come into existance as it currently is before, or after the quarantine? That is to say-- was the canyon inhabited before the plague was wrecking Aetgard? Or did the people flee into the mountainous terrain in an attempt to protect themselves from all of the CNR (what a great acronym, btw) and plague-stuff just absolutely dumping on the rest of the lands?

5. Is Nuumic elemancy similar to the sort of elemancy that is seen in-game, or is it on an entirely different level? Given it's a more common practice in Nuum than the quarantine, my interpretation has always been that the stuff the University is capable of in-game would be dwarfed by an accomplished Nuumic channeler. Not only because of their natural talent for such, but as a result of their.. Well, more grounded ability to research new patterns/applications/combinations of elements without having to worry about protecting themselves from CNR.

6. This one's a bit more random, I guess. Does the Blood Cult exist outside of Aetgard? Or is that more a thing that goes hand-in-hand with the heavy nethrim presence in the quarantine?

i'm totally cool with not getting answers to any of this, by the way. I'd love to pick around more about it IC, if anything. At least, the stuff that I think I could reasonably figure out. But i'm so glad I read this thread. Super entertaining, super thought-provoking. Super appreciated. Thanks for necro-ing, Vaelin.
Alila

Post by Alila »

Hi,

I can try to help with 4 and 6?

Shadgard was present during the time of Aetgard, but then it had a different name. There are hints of this ic, near the University.
It was a tourist destination for the barrier, the statue, and some carvings Rias mentions but which I am uncertain there are any traces of ic, but it was not large enough or centralized enough to suffer dramatically from the plague. Presumably the naturally cold weather also helped with resen problems? And afterward people gathered there, and the old Faewyr Sjagardr was re-interpreted into a more Common-friendly Shadgard.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3243&p=17345&hilit=sjagardr#p17345

Sorry, but it occurs to me that maybe this one is worth poking someone ic? The wiki article seems very purposely vague. If it helps, the answer might be yes. It seems as if the Lost Lands would hold particular appeal to them, but there are likely blood cultists elsewhere? That seems to be what some evidence suggests.

Selfishly, maybe some of these questions can be answered here?
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7190
While we are all asking them. :)

Thank you!
-Alila
[ESP-GRAY - Amaranth-Purple]: Yew should always respect your Alders. If you do, you'll do Oak kay. If you don't, they might kick your, um... Ash.
In the large bird's nest you see a pewter mug.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

A GM pointed me here, so I'll do my best to shed some light:
1. Are there settlements, around the lands that aren't hamlets but just a collection of homes that are isolated?
There are bound to be a few little homes or tiny solitary communities tucked away out there in places that have gone unnoticed by all the Bad Things in the Lost Lands, sure. Odds of long-term survival aren't good - I can't imagine any of them aren't aware that they could die any day - but some people are stubborn.
2. Regarding river tade, does it happen at all between the towns... well, Mistral and Haiban, anyway.
I've always imagined river trade was a thing, particulary with roads being so dangerous in the Lost Lands, but I never looked enough into the logistics of how that all works to really hammer the idea out.
3. What's the Parr's general sentiment about their hillfolk kin getting trapped in the quarantene?
They're sympathetic to it, but probably also recognize that the Hillfolk, being a largely independent people who don't want to be meddled with by outsiders, appreciate it to some degree. In a way, the Hillfolk got a pretty good deal out of it, all things considered: They get to continue being their own people with little chance of outside interference in an area of the Quarantine that's virtually untouched by all the problems on the other side of the Fey Forest.

Also, there are plenty of Parrens that say screw all that quarantine nonsense - we're Parrens, we'll sail where we please. Making a run past any sea patrols to visit their cousins on the mainland is probably a profitable thrill ride for smugglers willing to take that risk.
4. With Tsee Gaiyen's doing a bang up job outside in controling and purging the resen, are those members who are extremely problematic getting sent into the quarantene a possible punishment.
I'm far from an expert on Tse Gaiyan (wasn't my creation), but I don't see them doing something quite so drastic as essentially forcing their members into the Quarantine. As far as the outside world is concerned, that's pretty much a death sentence. Maybe they encourage that for some problematic members, but part of their schtick is free will, right? So they'd maybe give that as an alternative to being kicked out of the organization, but that still strikes me as pretty heavy. Maybe more of an individual situation thing than some kind of action endorsed by the organization itself.

1. Is there any form of reliable communication between the inside and outside of the quarantine? More specifically-- Is there a semi-dependable network of postage couriers? Something like a "Pony Express" if you will that runs along the roads that lead from the quarantine to it's borders.
The land routes are all blocked (Glacier in the way of the mountain pass between Lost Lands and Grum, Fey Forest betwen Lost Lands and Karnath and then the Quarantine Wall between Karnath and Grum). Letters can be sent by sea, primarily through the Huec port city. That takes a very long time and is known to be fairly unreliable, though. Never know if a letter will actually make it to where it's supposed to go. Or anything passing through the Quarantine, for that matter.
2. Is there anything like the ESP network outside of the quarantine? If so, how long has it been used, and where?
I feel like at some point in the past when I was still hammering out the lore behind it I may have tentatively alluded to use of ESP outside the Lost Lands, but asking now I'd definitely say no: it only works in the Lost Lands, mostly around areas that were once Aetgard. If the latter conflicts with some kind of lore or event that has happened, disregard.
3. I know that the islands of Parr are this huge hub of intercontinental trade, on account of their locale and their peoples' love of ships. However, how many islands are there? Are there larger islands that are more commonly recognised as the "Parr" isles, or is it more just a conglomeration of larger and smaller islands in a similar geographic area?
There are 3 large islands that are considered the "main" territories of Parr, and a bunch of smaller ones that are also considered part of the "Parr Isles", at least geographically. How independent these smaller islands are depends on the day. Some are extensions of the governing bodies of the larger islands, others may be tentatively claimed by other nations, and yet others are their own little micronations. The last often make varying allowances of involvement/influence/taxation from the larger islands in exchange for protection and aid in setting up infrastructures and the like.
4. Did Shadgard come into existance as it currently is before, or after the quarantine? That is to say-- was the canyon inhabited before the plague was wrecking Aetgard? Or did the people flee into the mountainous terrain in an attempt to protect themselves from all of the CNR (what a great acronym, btw) and plague-stuff just absolutely dumping on the rest of the lands?
Alila von Cazypants did a fine job answering and linking to relevant info on this one.
5. Is Nuumic elemancy similar to the sort of elemancy that is seen in-game, or is it on an entirely different level? Given it's a more common practice in Nuum than the quarantine, my interpretation has always been that the stuff the University is capable of in-game would be dwarfed by an accomplished Nuumic channeler. Not only because of their natural talent for such, but as a result of their.. Well, more grounded ability to research new patterns/applications/combinations of elements without having to worry about protecting themselves from CNR.
There's an upper class of elemancer in Nuum, channeling in ways not understood or grasped by other practitioners. They guard their secrets extremely jealously, and such channelers that appear to be compromising that secrecy, wittingly or otherwise, tend to wind up missing or dead. The University in the Lost Lands teaches mostly standard stuff, though as you suspected, they do tend to have more emphasis on combat applications due to the very dangerous nature of their location. Survival first.
6. This one's a bit more random, I guess. Does the Blood Cult exist outside of Aetgard? Or is that more a thing that goes hand-in-hand with the heavy nethrim presence in the quarantine?
The Lost Lands isn't the only place with rumors of creepy blood cultists, though it stands to reason that such a group could operate more openly and brazenly in the Lost Lands where things are more chaotic and less structured, without any kind of large-scale government or peacekeeping force out there to keep such things under control.
The lore compels me!
Vaelin

Post by Vaelin »

A few more questions:

1. The mummer abilities, is it implied that anyone can learn it... no genetic quirks like elemancy or something?
2. I'm usually just using this as a joke... but seriously, why isn't there booze sold in the mummer's camp.
3. Brofists... what's Arlen's stance when his members use them to fight nethrem? what about ranged weapons like throwing knives?
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

Arlen would greatly disapprove of someone using a weapon as their primary form of combat, much to the same way Bjorn would disapprove of a Dwaedn Wyr using a light/puny weapon. Though he understands practicality and wouldnt be outright opposed to it in extremely limited situations as a secondary weapon when absolutely necessary (such as fighting nethrim, but the alternate solution is... just don't fight nethrim).

It's not enough to get you barred from the guild, but it'll get you tossed off the mountain/thrown out of the bar for sure.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Maina

Post by Maina »

Vaelin wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:20 pm 1. The mummer abilities, is it implied that anyone can learn it... no genetic quirks like elemancy or something?
I can't speak for Mummer abilities, but it's worth noting that Elemancy does not require genetic quirks. Technically, anyone can learn it.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1099&p=4814&hilit=savant#p4814

PCs that join the University have a particular knack for it so that it doesn't take "years and years" to learn.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3545&hilit=savant#p18979
[FROM Zeldryn (OOC)]: STOP BEING AMAZING. IT'S AMAZING.
Zeldryn

Post by Zeldryn »

I just wanted to say-- Wow, thank you so much for the responses! I mean, especially about the isles. Zeldryn's a super islandy guy, so knowing that I've been sort of portraying them semi-accurately throughout the length of my rambly Parron-ing gives me a pretty significant degree of comfort.

All of the other answers were super appreciated as well, of course. Dat island lore just be enticing.
Rias
Lore Hermit

Post by Rias »

1. The mummer abilities, is it implied that anyone can learn it... no genetic quirks like elemancy or something?
Lorewise, it's something that people just have varying levels of natural affinity for, like many other skills or talents. PCs who join up are assumed to have a good knack for it, though it would be neat to see some character say - after getting GM approval for the idea - that their backstory involves learning it through painstaking practice and tutelage from a mentor over many years, or something. (As Maina pointed out, Elemancy doesn't require a genetic quirk either and is pretty much in the same boat, with the aptitude ability just being a way to say a PC has the knack so they can learn it quickly.)

P.S. I've always had it in my head that most members of the Mummers have little to no "supernatural" power and are just dedicated/talented performers, artists (con or otherwise), and generally clever, creative, and quick-witted people. PCs with all the fancy powers are the exception, not the norm.
2. I'm usually just using this as a joke... but seriously, why isn't there booze sold in the mummer's camp.
If you think there isn't, maybe you just got into trouble at the Mummer Bar and they mind-fogged you so badly that you forgot it even existed.
The lore compels me!
Vaelin

Post by Vaelin »

Ha. I'm totally going to use that as rp hook... find out if I got mindwiped about knowing there are booze.

Return to “Roleplaying Feedback and Shout-Outs”