Making combat restraint available to everyone

Vaelin

Making combat restraint available to everyone

Post by Vaelin »

So, I've been thinking about this. The problem with people who make antagonistic chars or any chars with really high skill is that to a point, those chars who are going to oppose them are going to need more effort, etc. In other words, skill disperity. So, to make think things fair in a CVC perspective, why not make combat restraint be available for everyone. With the things already fixed with it, no skill gains for the one restraining etc and also spars getting adjusted, I think it is doable now. Also, it's realistic that someone is capable of restraining themselves when doing something.

This is just my two cents.
Vazbol

Re: Making combat restraint available to everyone

Post by Vazbol »

The question would be if people would agree to use combat restraint before anything happens. The problem is that recent cvc interactions usually have people ambush or surprise attacking people from out of nowhere. Little interaction before the start, just a surprise trample, or crossbow bolt from stealth. telling someone if they want to set a restraint level before hand kind of would foil such attempts and give a character ooc forewarning what's about to happen.

Also, at times, the skill gap can sometimes be a motivator to try to catch up and close it. especially as one who got shot multiple time with rolls I had no hope of even realistically blocking. 8 months after that incident, the tables have turned in most interactions since then.

And you know, there's always strength in numbers. having a medium skill roll but with 3 people can fend away most people even at cap. Unless your opponent is using stealth. but that's a different problem entirely. In many cases, just out numbering the person can defeat or drive them off.
[CHAT - GameMaster Uyoku Had Pizza For Dinner]: Spidercat, spidercat, does whatever a spidercat does. Skittering, up the walls, meowing cute while showing off its claws, it is the creepy spidercat.
glare

Re: Making combat restraint available to everyone

Post by glare »

I think given the level of repetition involving CVC, this probably won't have the desired effect. As in, there is no real stakes to a loss whether you die or not so attaching meaning to a loss is very rarely done and even more so enforced.

if it doesn't matter whether you lose, how you lose is largely irrelevent. Though there are some people who on a personal level really hate dying. Most people just really hate losing imo. You'd have to inspire and maintain a RP community to enforced RP consequences for either dying, or losing a duel. Though I would support this idea. making it easier not to fatally kill people whilst sparring would be nice.

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”