Armor forging: brigandine head protection

Lemuel

Armor forging: brigandine head protection

Post by Lemuel »

There is no armor pattern for brigandine to protect the head. Would you be able to add in the schematic for the brigandine cap, please, In line with other schematics, I suppose it would use one soft leather helm plus a 6-pound metal bar.
xavier

Re: Armor forging: brigandine head protection

Post by xavier »

I asked about this not long after the changes that introduced schematics. It was explained to me that it was on purpose. While there are real life examples of a brigandine style head piece, they were quite rare and often problematic. That last bit was my own research. I don't have links as that was a couple of months after the schematic intro and I've since changed computers.
Rain falls steadily to the earth.
The gore has been washed from you.
The blood has been washed from you.
You are splattered with gore!
Rain falls steadily to the earth.
The gore has been washed from you.
The blood has been washed from you.
You are splattered with gore!
Lemuel

Re: Armor forging: brigandine head protection

Post by Lemuel »

xavier wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:40 am I asked about this not long after the changes that introduced schematics. It was explained to me that it was on purpose. While there are real life examples of a brigandine style head piece, they were quite rare and often problematic. That last bit was my own research. I don't have links as that was a couple of months after the schematic intro and I've since changed computers.
That's really comparing apples and oranges. Brigandine in history is a brigandine jack (or jacket) that covers the torso I believe to mid thigh. Sometimes it had sleeves, sometimes sleeveless. If we want go down the strictly historical route, there should be in CLOK only a brigandine jack(et) [not cuirass] and brigandine sleeves. No pants, collar, gloves, etc.

However, in CLOK, a certain type of armor is often made that is granted a classification of armor to define it's desired protection. A good example is, a formerly available piece of armor called "a tightly-strapped dark leather cuirass worn over a padded linen gambeson ". Were this armor only " a tightly-strapped dark leather cuirass", then it would no doubt be classed as soft leather for protective purposes, but as "a tightly-strapped dark leather cuirass worn over a padded linen gambeson" it was upgraded to leather scale armor. No scales were used in it's construction, but as the gambeson was intended to upgrade the armor protection, the next better level, leather scale, was given to it for protective purposes.

So you can see that while comfortably employing non-historic brigandine gloves, boots, pants, etc into CLOK all the while calling upon real-life history to exclude brigandine caps is really a non-sequitur.

What's more, head armor in the classification of brigandine is already in existance in CLOK in a certain guild shop, and has been for years. My request is not for something never in game, but the ability to craft it along with the other pieces. Just as for a while, with metal scale armor, you could do everything except foot protection and a full head helm, and then after a couple of years these last two pieces were added in to round out the craftable suit as scale sabatons and scale veiled coif, I'm requesting this brigandine item to round out that craftable armor suit type.

Thanks for reading,
L.

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”