Difficulty/Contents of Locked containers

Zeldryn

Difficulty/Contents of Locked containers

Post by Zeldryn »

Hi everybody.

So, the vast majority of a Locksmith's work in clok is, as many realize, opening boxes-- either for themselves, or for others.

Generally speaking, this works rather well. Accomplished locksmiths make a reasonable bit of riln doing what they do, and the consumers have a (usually) quick, reliable way of dealing with all of their locked containers without the NPCs pilfering all of their shinies in the process.

Novice locksmiths, given their lower skills, have a bit more trouble. They can't open as much, so they have to put their time in grinding their skills. Which again-- works out. Novices make an active effort to get better att their craft so that they can open more boxes for folks at higher skill ranges. Eventually, you hit a point where you can open a majority of boxes without much issue.

All the while, the box-holders have obvious initiative to have the boxes opened. to... Well, find out what's inside. It's usually worth their while, too. Anything from small to large piles of riln, clothing in fabrics, colors, and styles unavailable in NPC shops, gems, jewelry, statues and figurines-- There's something for everybody in these things, even if it's just the riln.

There is a bit of an issue that becomes apparent from the locksmith's side of the equation, however. Whether the lock in question is difficulty 100, or difficulty 4500, there doesn't seem to be any observable difference in the quality of the items within. At least, not a difference which feels worthwhile given the skill necesary for the container to even be opened. I, and many other locksmiths, have had circumstances where we've managed to open up high level locks (300-5000 range) only to find the usual strip of meat, half eaten cookie, or smelly sock inside astride a pile of 37 riln. That isn't to say that this is the absolute end of this situation-- but more often than not, the rewards within these absolutely insane difficulty boxes are.. Less than worthwhile.

In addition to that, there are boxes that exist which are literally *impossible* to open without the use of the black vials which are only available at the Octum festival, even to me, a character who is less than 100 points off of maxing the skill entirely after 2 years of grinding.

So, in simplist terms, I'd like to request that the contents of these boxes be evaluated, and perhaps modified. It seems much more intuitive and rewarding from my standpoint to include the potential for higher rewards within the boxes which require a high skill gap to open.

In my opinion, at least, it stands to reason that if an individual is spending the time to put his stuff within a locked box of such staggering quality, that said individual puts some value in that locked box's contents, whether personal, or financial. Though it's certainly not out of the realms of possibility for someone to use that CR 4500 locked box for their favorite socks and half eaten cookies, it strikes me that it's much more likely that they'd be using it for storing stuff of.. Well, significant value. Gems, precious metals, jewelry, keys, maps, etc.

Additionally, I would like to request that the maximum challenge rating of these boxes be evaluated-- At least the boxes which are literally impossible to pick. I don't believe any locked container should spawn in with a challenge rating higher than the highest possible roll a locksmith can make with maximum skill and a maximum quality lockpick.

TLDR VERSION:

Request 1: Please, time permitting, consider evaluating the contents of the locked boxes which are dropped by mobs/appear in certain areas. Specifically, it would be amazing if the rewards were more closely linked with the difficulty rating of the box in question, at least, to some degree.

Request 2: Please, consider tinkering with the mechanism that spawns these locked boxes so that the maximum difficulty of a locked box which spawns cannot exceed the maximum roll that a locksmith with max skill, with a max quality lockpick is capable of achieving without the use of limited-time, non-craftable festival items.

Thanks for the time and patience taken reading this, it's greatly appreciated. Additionally, if there are any misunderstandings of the systems as they function on display here, my apologies for that, as well. I'm sort of just approaching this from my own experiences as a locksmith.

Thanks again, hope ya'll have a decent day.

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”