Dangerous Mobs and Skill Gain

Dorn

Dangerous Mobs and Skill Gain

Post by Dorn »

So we all know some mobs are more dangerous than others, even if they both have the same rolls. IE 1200 Attack Rolls/1100 Defense Rolls. This could be due to the weapons they use for humanoids, or simply their special attacks for others (wing buffets, knockdowns, etc.

In general, the more difficult the mob is in a given skill range, the more likely players are going to mostly ignore the area unless there's an alternative reason to visit, I.E. Big loot, be it riln or special materials, and even then it tends to be by groups/higher level players.

Clok really is a game that punishes and discourages players from taking a risk, and we're not even talking about hunting Mobs that are a little more skilled than them. It massively encourages taking the path of least resistance for skilling combat.

If that's intentional, so be it, but what I think might be pretty neat and maybe encourage players to both try a wider variety of areas but also maybe make you guys *want* to release more difficult areas (beyond simple skill numbers) and see some less visited areas more highly noticed is the following...

An X-factor number that every mob has, ranging from 0-?, which is based on how difficult the mob is.

If the GMs consider the mob utterly easy for it's skill range, the number is 0, and all skill gain vs it is as normal.

If the GMs consider the mob slightly dangerous, it has an X-factor number set to what the GMs feel appropriate. Whenever a roll is made vs that Mob, be it stealth, perception, an attack, or a defense, the Mob's roll in terms of gain count as whatever it would normally be + the X-Factor.

I feel like one issue with this, is that skill gains per "success" might end up needing raising a little. Currently, there isn't a massive variance between an average gain vs a hard one in melee, but even without that it would be a step.

I'm half wondering if it might be worth adding that if the characters rolls are high enough vs the Mobs normal roll that they wouldn't get gain, that the X-factor is ignored. I'm not entirely sure it's necessary, but it is definitely an option.
~Dorn
Uyoku takes a bite of her smelly skunk poop.

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”