Containers for Huge Items

Kiyaani

Containers for Huge Items

Post by Kiyaani »

Many weapon-containers such as sheaths, scabbards, pole harnesses etc. are considered "huge" items so they can accommodate weapons of various sizes. This is great except they won't fit in any standard furniture as-is. Chests, trunks, and barrels you can get from furniture and general stores only accommodate up to "large" items.

I'd like to ask that either containers be changed to hold "huge" items or there be a specialty container added to shops in all major towns that works with these and other huge objects at a possibly greater starting expense.

Also, I noticed that weapon racks will hold weapons, but not weapons in weapon-containers. So you can put your sword on the rack, but not the baldric or scabbard it normally goes in despite the fact that racks can hold huge items. This means you have to then find someplace to put those weapon-specific containers. Altering weapon racks to accommodate weapon-containers along with their weapons might be a good alternative fix if you don't want normal containers to hold huge things.
xavier

Re: Containers for Huge Items

Post by xavier »

I like the second idea better. It seems more fitting. It always kind of bugged me that I couldn't put a scabbarded sword on a weapon rack.
Rain falls steadily to the earth.
The gore has been washed from you.
The blood has been washed from you.
You are splattered with gore!
Rain falls steadily to the earth.
The gore has been washed from you.
The blood has been washed from you.
You are splattered with gore!
Akila
Mentor

Post by Akila »

I really like this idea. It's frustrating trying to keep a tidy area, only to have to litter the floor with huge weapons.

Perhaps just change the trunks to hold huge items to accomodate this?
[CHAT - Mayor Bryce of Bryceburgh]: It's that funny metal thing you put in your mouth, Galon, and then it goes "Boing, doing, dwang, dwang, doing, ding, boing, dwahng."
04:06:02 [CHAT - Mayor Bryce of Bryceburgh]: You know, the thing Snoopy plays to help Charlie Brown remember "i before e, except after c"
Noctere
Coder

Post by Noctere »

One of the difficulties that we have always tried to tackle was that many players choose to hoard items in their personal homes. So much so that it defies normal real world physics (5 handcarts in one small room) and puts more strain onto our server. I know there was some talk back in the day about imposing a room limit to how much could be placed in there but I am not sure if that was ever implemented.

With that said, I don't see there being any problems creating a HUGE crate which can hold almost anything once such a room limit exists. Until then we do not wish to invalidate the importance of bank vaults which are the preferred method of long term storage.
It's not easy being evil...
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

Don't most containers also have a weight limit though? This wouldn't bypass that.
Evelyn
Mentor

Post by Evelyn »

Display cases hold large weapons in their harnesses. Just a heads up. :)
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

I've decided to bump this for potential re-viewing and additional comments from current player-base in the hopes a workaround might be found. I definitely appreciate the concern about hoarding, but I still struggle with organization of these items in-home and bank vaults aren't always an ideal solution for items which see frequent use.

Display cases were suggested, but are not readily available from what I can tell and so not a great workaround unfortunately. It seems the only things big enough to hold these huge items are tables and who wants a bunch of huge items on their table? I believe they used to fit in barrels which I could just imagine as the barrel being used to hold the base and prop them up with the tops sticking out, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

I would also like to suggest another alternative - wall-hooks that could act as both huge weapon/tool/shoulder and belt-worn container holders as well as coat hangers. They could come in varying sizes and hang on the wall of any home. It would help de-clutter the ground space as it would just appear as a series of hooks with some stuff on it. These could be in addition to the weapon racks which are less versatile.

I'm not sure how feasible this option is either, but has it been considered that the weapon holders could still be small/medium in size and then when occupied the size changes in the case of haft-frogs or pole-harnesses? That way they could be easily stored while a weapon is being repaired or displayed on a rack, but not interfere with size restrictions while in use.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Artisans have recently been granted the kind of containers you seek. Perhaps you should take your concern ICly to a group of people that deal with it regularly ;)
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

I have asked about this sort of thing ICly before. If things change and there's no public announcement, how are we to know to ask such things again? Or maybe there was and I merely missed it. However, I appreciate the quick update and will check ICly next time I'm able. It would be helpful to know what has changed or been granted so that such a request can be made more easily IC.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

https://clok.contrarium.net/index.php?t ... opment_Log
Artisans of the Western Coalition are now able to purchase crates at the Imports Shop to package up those huge purchase orders they take on. -- Mirazia 10:43, 1 December 2018 (EST)
Mirazia

Post by Mirazia »

Those containers have been released for the purchase orders the artisans can get. It states in the shop description and in my announcement what they are to be used for. We don't want to see homes littered with them.

I will have a look at seeing if I can produce some sort of wall hooks or sheath holder of some sort that holds limited items. Again the issue comes down to hoarding. We like to see player homes used for RP, not a personal storage unit. Excess items in a room causes huge bloat which takes up space on the server as Noctere said previously.

How many huge items would you say see frequent use? How frequent is that using that a bank vault would not be ideal storage? I can see the 24 hours for repair, but I personally just use one sheath for 3 different weapons so I can switch out as needed. Just looking for a rough idea of how much these hooks would ideally hold if I can figure something out for them.
A greater lich looks over the posts on a large post board.

(Samani practically snarls as she consumes her flapjacks in one go.)

Dark powers surround Noctere and he brings forth his hands to summon... to summon... TO SUMMON!...
a handful of popcorn which appear on the ground with a slight POOF sound. Then Noctere leaves.
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

Thank you for the response and clarifying the use of those crates. I'll message you about the questions. I would think similar to a weapon rack capacity of about 5-6 would be good though if you consider one of each type or dual wielding options and rotation. Not to mention tools people use for professions which can often be "huge".

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”