Text Editor

ironcross32

Text Editor

Post by ironcross32 »

I think a text editor is needed. A lot of writing can be done in game, and there is no way, apart from the ^, to really write comprehensively. I don't think it has to be crazy powerful or anything, but a few features including the following would suffice quite nicely: ability to input one line at a time; ability to review already input lines; ability to delete a line; save or done, then whatever you were working on could be stored wherever it is done.

A majority of MUDs have something like this, some are quite rudimentary, others are very powerful. As for an example of how this could be implemented, if you have a letter in hand, you would just type write by itself, that puts you in the editor, then you just input a line at a time, and a certain symbol or command when done, and once done, the letter is written to the parchment. I've seen them use like ^save ^list ^delete, etc.

I think this would be a fine edition to the game, and would make the process of writing things much less cumbersome, and newbie friendly.
Tangela
CLOK Patron

Re: Text Editor

Post by Tangela »

This isn't a bad idea at all, but you can easily just write things up in your text editor of choice and then reformat for clok once you're done. that's what I do
ironcross32

Post by ironcross32 »

I could technically replace all carriage returns with ^, I shouldn't have to do that though, this is a pretty standard thing here.
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

I'm rather used to the system in place, but I wouldn't object if something a bit more sophisticated were to replace the current system. All those wasted trees!
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

I tossed around a few ideas of how to make this work, and it is possible, I think.

Keep in mind CLOK was built from the ground up, it's not using another MUDs engine. The line parsing system is a bit of a delicate thing and did not have non-command input in mind when it was first built. The numbers that you enter for your character feature and race selection during character creation is a bit of a hack job. If I were to add text editing to line input, I'd want tonapend a good chunk of time cleaning it up first and probably redoing the character creation system.

Not saying no, but this is a pretty "rainy day" project.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
ironcross32

Post by ironcross32 »

fair enough, all our ideas may not be feasible for various reasons, but I appreciate you laying it out for us.

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”