Streamlining the newbie process

jilliana

Streamlining the newbie process

Post by jilliana »

I have been thinking a lot over the last couple of weeks at least that the newbie system on CLOK really, really needs to be streamlined. Thanks to this Dandy thread I decided something has to be posted.

What really triggered this was that I created an alt not too long ago and...wow! Even as an experienced player, I could see how just going through the creation process, doing the tutorial, reading the signage in the area where one chooses a town can all be very overwhelming. Then you add all the other curveballs that the game itself throws at you when you get started. Food? Checked! Bandages? Checked! Make sure you don't freeze your newbie self to death? Check!

I've been trying to think of suggestions to make the processs easier within the game. No, not everyone wants to read a Wiki page and BBS. Some players actually do want to get in on the action quickly...and some of those types of players are what CLOK needs.
To be honest, I can't really think of anything. This is why I post this here. Yes, we have mentors, but mentors aren't always around. Yes, we have players, but lately, players aren't around very much. The players and GMs on CLOK are gems at helping the newbies, but even then the learning process can be very steep.

In summary, I'd like to open the floor, per say, to you guys for constructive ideas on how we as players and you as GMs could improve the newbie experience without depending so much on mentors and other people to be around. Something in CLOK itself so that the newbie could feel useful and independent from the start.

Looking forward to reading your constructive suggestions.
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
Lassyn

Re: Streamlining the newbie process

Post by Lassyn »

I think it was Dorn who mentioned a task system for newbies where they're helping out towns with their stores? delivering mail, getting packages, etc?
I really liked that.
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

Lassyn wrote:I think it was Dorn who mentioned a task system for newbies where they're helping out towns with their stores? delivering mail, getting packages, etc?
I really liked that.
I really liked it as well. Foraging has it's merits, but it's not so great if you're an action-oriented player.
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

In addition to what I said in my first post:

It'd be nice to find a way to streamline the information that comes in. More signs? Less signs? More OOC messages in certain places? Discreet suggestions on how to get riln?
Kent

Post by Kent »

Maybe an insta-create option at the beginning to quickly create an average looking mixed race character with random eye color, etc. and deposit him immediately in Mistral Lake where he/she won't ever freeze to death whilst trying to get bearings in a new world? I think for a total newbie, having to make a decision as to where to start is more of a negative...give them the option after they select their name of "Quick Start (recommend for newcomers) or Detailed Creation" , the latter being what we currently have.

I think every starting player should be given a dozen bandages, a bronze knife, two additional rations, and 100 more riln than they currently start with.

I think the initial spawing room for all char creations should be the room just outside the infirmary (if not in it) so at least they have seen where exactly in their starting town the infirmary is.
- Kent "Gunney" Gunderman

A dirty woodsman frowns at you and suggests you return after getting cleaned up.

Helpful tips, commands, and hints for new CLOKers: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2367&p=12822#p12822
Skjotur

Post by Skjotur »

Minor starting quests to show people around town would be cool. The first time you log in you get a big message that says, "You have heard rumors that the town hall has a few simple jobs that need to be done, and there would be monetary compensation. If you're interested, you can get to the town hall from here by going out, south, go hall. Once you get there you can ASK the town hall clerk for a job (type ASK CLERK FOR JOB)."

Job 1: Deliver a package of bandages to the infirmary. Give directions to the infirmary. When you get there you give the package to the healer, then the healer lets you keep a few bandages for yourself and can even say "I could always use a hand in here if you have spare time, go ahead and help me bandage some of the minor wounds people come in here with." Then send a follow up message "To bandage someone, type BANDAGE PERSON, such as BANDAGE CITIZEN."

Job 2: We have an order for some uniforms for town hall employees. Please bring it to the local tailor for us. Give directions to the tailor, and when the person gets there you give a slip to the tailor. The tailor then says "While you're here feel free to look at our wares. By the way, if you plan on spending any time in cold climates, you should dress appropriately and preferably get clothes made of wool or another warm material. Don't forget to wear a warm cloak or coat on top of your regular clothes, and look for accessories like scarves, gloves, and hats."

Job 3: We need to put in an order for some new arms for our guards. Please take the order to the local blacksmith or weapon shop. Give directions to the place, and when the person gets there give the order to the blacksmith, and the person is invited to look over the things for sale and warned: "If you intend to go outside town, you should know that it's extremely dangerous out there. You will want to be armed and armored, and you should also probably take some bandages with you in case you get injured. Come to me if you need any metal repairs."

And so on. So it teaches you how to get to key places around town, and when you do the jobs you make a little money and also get some advice that helps the player know what to expect.
Skjotur

Post by Skjotur »

The tailor part should also mention the WARMTH and WARMTH CLOTHING commands.
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Have a quest to run a message or deliver a package to another town. Tell them to stick to the roads and just keep running if they see any infested or nethrim.
ask jes for date
The horse thief Jessie doesn't seem too interested in talking about that.

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”