Dual wield

Stranger

Dual wield

Post by Stranger »

When I wield one rapier I can get up to 3 strikes per round but when I fight with two rapiers at the same time, each rapier can only attack once. Is this working as intended? Is there no advantage to dual wielding faster weapons? Or is my dual wield skill just too low to use the extra attacks yet?

Secondly, is there any plan in the works for a skill to allow a person to dual wield massive greatswords or big warmauls in each hand?
"No one knows whether death, which people fear to be the greatest evil, may not be the greatest good."
Plato
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

The first point is being looked at. There's no good benefit to two-weapon beyond two parry attempts and easier chance for two strikes with heavier (albeit one-handed) weapons due to holding one of each.

One the second point, there's no intent to allow just anyone to wield two twohanded weapons, though it has been considered as a Dwaedn Wyr ability.
The lore compels me!
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

I had an idea for dual wield.

Dual wield should have three modes. EXTEND, BALANCE and RESERVE (verbs chosen to not conflict with others)

In EXTEND mode you can use each weapon as if each one were used single handed (all strikes included) but it would have the draw back of completely removing your second parry.

In BALANCE mode you will keep all strikes on both weapons and keep both parries -BUT- you will half parry strength on your second weapon and have less chance to successfully make all strikes.

In RESERVE mode you would keep your second parry but only do one strike per weapon. (just like it is now)

This may need some tweaking but you can see the general direction I'm going with this.
"No one knows whether death, which people fear to be the greatest evil, may not be the greatest good."
Plato
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Another thought occurred to me. Are they any plans to implement hand-and-a-half class weapons like the bastard sword?
Plato
Rithiel

Post by Rithiel »

The longsword is already a hand-and-a-half sword (you can EXAMINE it).
A cheerful jingle intones, "Rithenschmirtz Evil Incorporateeeed!"
[OOC - Candy Mountain, Spearhead]: usually when they're snarky, it's Rithiel
Isiaa

Post by Isiaa »

Are there going to be hand axes that can be dual wielded?
Jaren

Post by Jaren »

Isiaa and I talked a bit in game. We found the hatchets that can be single handed but that's about it. Didn't find any hand axes. Hmmm... the dual wield idea that Stranger mentions is interesting. What does everyone else think about it?
"When someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES!"
Winston Zeddmore
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I somehow missed the post about the two-weapon ideas. I like it. Rithiel is sort of championing the whole two-weapon gig amongst the GMs, so I'll talk with her about it.

There are handaxes you can purchase a the blacksmith that can be dual-wielded.

Longswords are the only hand-and-a-half sword type currently. There are many polearms and hafted weapons that can be wielded in either one or two hands (though not all weapon types are currently available in town shops). As Rithiel mentioned before, you can examine a weapon to get more information about it, including whether it is wielded in one hand, two hands, or able to be used both ways.
The lore compels me!
Landion

Post by Landion »

A little bump on this thread.

I'm currently in the works of trying to get TWC a bit more viable, and of course player feedback/ideas are welcome.

Stranger's idea is decent, though,would be fairly difficult to implement. Perhaps instead of totally new verbs, I could tie it to TACTICS which already exist. Just an idea. Any other thoughts? Wishes? Dreams? Nightmares... bwahaha...
No longer GMing for CLOK.
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

How about giving an additional attack roll for the second weapon? So something like:

You swing your longswords at Little Orphan Lisa! (M: 1232 M:1232 vs D:55673 P:4.5)
.... each longsword gets a chance to get past the defense rolls (or just one of them maybe if you're worried about that balance thing...)

Little Orphan Lisa smirks
20:21:01 [CHAT - (a mysterious GM)]: With obvious effort, Zuki pries up a thick scale over a drakolin's chest! Zuki spearhand-strikes the soft, unprotected area under the scale! Heart ruptured, death follows immediately. A drakolin lets out a final bellow of rage and falls lifeless to the ground.

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”