DEV

Don't ignore those out-of-the-ordinary feelings/promptings

Post by Rias »

It always makes me sad.
The lore compels me!
Sneaky

Re: Don't ignore those out-of-the-ordinary feelings/promptin

Post by Sneaky »

How should we react? With a think? I've only seen two I think, one I thought about it, and the other was RPed. I'm just asking about it now, because we had one of these today, and we all reacted the way I think we should've. Though if this is nothing to do with our group then ignore, lol.
[FROM Liani (OOC)]: It's an ice cream conehead
You also notice a bronze crossbow bolt (x8) and the corpse of a slender pale white cave drakolin.
Alila softly compliments, "Thank you for the story--you were all excellent."
[CHAT - Lore Hermit Rias (Retired) (Discord)]: @Alila is crazypants
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Eh, don't mind me; I'm just a little bummed cause there was a thing I wanted to do, but some promptings (directed to a single specific person) were unsuccessful, so now I have to wait for another opportunity. It's no big deal.

But in general, yeah. Some kind of think or other way of acknowledgment at least is nice, so we know that the thing wasn't straight up missed/ignored. It's just a little sad when we try to get something unique started for someone, and they seem completely disinterested. I understand that some characters would probably just dismiss some things as random oddities, or being too tired or whatever, though, so it's okay.
The lore compels me!
merin
CLOK Patron

Post by merin »

Now you've got me paranoid I missed something :p
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

It happened to my PC once, and I just thought (not using THINK, just what I as a player thought), "Oh cool, don't remember that room idle script, must be new."

I then got up and walked away, played solo for another 10-20 minutes, logged off and switched back to Jirato only to have Vinz telling me that I missed it.

Some of us (myself included), are just really dense, you have to really hit us over the head with a brick to get our attention.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Xanthe

Post by Xanthe »

I'm posting this for someone else.

Sometimes, people who are using a reader miss things that are going on. So maybe hitting someone over the head isn't a bad idea.

You could, possibly, send a tell- as a lot of people with screenreaders have that triggered to a sound. Even if it isn't as a GM- it might get their attention.

Just an idea.
Zeik

Post by Zeik »

I'm usually so busy running around thinking about what I want to do next that I probably miss most things, especially if it is something subtle. I also have no idea what a normal idle script is for most areas so again, I would just assume it was one.
Akila
Mentor

Post by Akila »

I've started waiting to see if something is repeated if I think it might be a new idle thing, but I might just over-think now unless I have to vanish pretty quick. I know Akila has experienced something fairly recent that I thought was normal, thought about it anyway and after asking around, realised it wasn't.

GMs are too sneaky.
[CHAT - Mayor Bryce of Bryceburgh]: It's that funny metal thing you put in your mouth, Galon, and then it goes "Boing, doing, dwang, dwang, doing, ding, boing, dwahng."
04:06:02 [CHAT - Mayor Bryce of Bryceburgh]: You know, the thing Snoopy plays to help Charlie Brown remember "i before e, except after c"
Lysse

Post by Lysse »

I actually think its good practice to respond to idle scripts. I usually do thinks or little emotes with them, when I can remember to. I even respond to weird little things I find in room descriptions, from time to time, ICly.
“There is always a choice."
"You mean I could choose certain death?"
"A choice nevertheless, or perhaps an alternative. You see I believe in freedom. Not many people do, although they will of course protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.”
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I think it'd be extremely tacky to send someone an OOC tell and say "Hey, something special is happening IC". That's just my take on it.

The overall idea that something out of the ordinary was going on was acknowledged, it just didn't go where I wanted it to with one specific person that was involved. It was so close! I was just about to hit the Enter key for a crucial and more hit-over-the-head-esque action when they walked off.

Oh well! Next time.
The lore compels me!
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I should also add that sometimes things happen that are just supposed to be acknowledged and not necessarily acted upon, as in Akila's case. Those usually end with something fairly conclusive like "the odd feelings fade completely" or "NPC Bob turns back to what he was doing" or something like that. What inspired my post was my last-ditch attempt: after they had determined it wasn't worth sticking around any longer, they got a prompting that they had forgotten something and were missing an opportunity, but they remained undeterred in their absconding from the area.

It's okay. Someone else will get the opportunity, and maybe they'll respond differently. Not everything goes the way players want, and not everything goes the way GMs want.
The lore compels me!
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

Lysse wrote:I actually think its good practice to respond to idle scripts. I usually do thinks or little emotes with them, when I can remember to. I even respond to weird little things I find in room descriptions, from time to time, ICly.
I usually try to go with this sentiment. Usually.
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
merin
CLOK Patron

Post by merin »

Xanthe wrote:I'm posting this for someone else.

Sometimes, people who are using a reader miss things that are going on. So maybe hitting someone over the head isn't a bad idea.

You could, possibly, send a tell- as a lot of people with screenreaders have that triggered to a sound. Even if it isn't as a GM- it might get their attention.

Just an idea.
I use a screen reader. I don't think this is a vallid excuse.
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

merin wrote:
Xanthe wrote:I'm posting this for someone else.

Just an idea.
I use a screen reader. I don't think this is a vallid excuse.
Ditto, Merin.
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
preiman
CLOK Patron

Post by preiman »

Agreed, using a scream reader is not really an excuse.
"I don't think we're ever going to find out what is going on with these canim, where are they coming from?!"
Kent arrives from the southeast.
Kent hugs you.
say um
You say, "Um."
a Mistral Lake sentry arrives from the east, armor clanking.
Kent heads north.
Vaylon

Post by Vaylon »

Uh-oh. I hope this wasn't me who missed something.

But if I notice it, I usually run away when something unexpected happens.
"I hope you have not been leading a double life, pretending to be wicked and being really good all the time. That would be hypocrisy." - The Importance of Being Earnest, Oscar Wilde
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

I feel that we should never be sending TELLS to players to let them know "Hey, I'm trying to do something with you IC!" This is extremely poor taste and against the spirit of CLOK as a roleplaying game.

Having an event calendar (soon!), and posting generic "Something is going down" for large group events on Facebook/Twitter is one thing, but these types of spontaneous and personal events need to be handled personally and ICly.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

I had two of these happen to me fairly close together a long time ago, and they could have driven my character in all sorts of directions, but I never had anything happen from them. I used think once or twice and even talked to myself about the voice/feeling, and it just kinda stopped and felt half-finished or forgotten. It was kinda disappointing.
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Fayne wrote:it just kinda stopped and felt half-finished or forgotten. It was kinda disappointing.
Not forgotten - it stopped due to the character's actions and decisions. We were kinda bummed, too.
The lore compels me!
Uyoku
GM

Post by Uyoku »

I have also done prompting only to be ignored or missed and it was discouraging, even if it was going to be a small scene.

I have also been pleasantly surprised at the reaction players have given to a situation or scene I have set up. It has made it all the more fun.

Remember, you never know when we may be paying attention to what is going on.

Also, the think command is a great tool to share what your character isthinking or feeling, I have used it a lot and feel while no other players see it, it adds depth to my character all the same.

One last thing, I have also gotten into the habit of reacting to room scripts or NPCs walking into the room with me, even when I am alone.

You never know what can happen.
[GMCHAT - Developer Jirato (Discord)]: Sceptus Corvus, will it blend? *cheesy music plays*

[CHAT - Developer Jirato]: I don't know who you are, I don't know what you want. If you're looking for gear coins, I can tell you I don't have any. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you leave the cats alone, that'll be the end of it, I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will nerf you.
Akila
Mentor

Post by Akila »

Curious question regarding the think command.

I live in the UK and, even though I work nights and I'm often online during the usual times the GMs are, I often find myself thinking more when you are all likely to be asleep. This stuff I can think about anytime, but it could be quite important to how I want my character to develop. Would I be better saving my more in depth thinking to when the GMs are likely to be awake or does it not matter?

*scribbles a small note to pin Rias down with lore-based character questions that do not break the NDA*
[CHAT - Mayor Bryce of Bryceburgh]: It's that funny metal thing you put in your mouth, Galon, and then it goes "Boing, doing, dwang, dwang, doing, ding, boing, dwahng."
04:06:02 [CHAT - Mayor Bryce of Bryceburgh]: You know, the thing Snoopy plays to help Charlie Brown remember "i before e, except after c"
blindndangerous

Post by blindndangerous »

Heheh, scream reader. Then I guess they need to watch more carefully. I've never had something quite like that happen to my characters, but I'll keep this all in mind should it ever come around.
A towering white-furred snow yeti exclaims, "Oog!"
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

I guess I felt like mine just kinda ended because honestly, I wait for the green light on a lot of things. If I'm receiving prompting, I probably also need a bit of a push to get going. I don't like to go down paths that I'm not sure they'll ultimately be accepted or acknowledged, and when I do get prompted toward something, I like to be led into the right direction to start with. I mean, if it's something I don't want to do or don't see my character doing, I won't do it. But sometimes I get excited because I wamt to follow this path, have no idea how to begin, and then just kinda sit there wondering until it's too late to do anything.
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Akila wrote:Curious question regarding the think command.

I live in the UK and, even though I work nights and I'm often online during the usual times the GMs are, I often find myself thinking more when you are all likely to be asleep. This stuff I can think about anytime, but it could be quite important to how I want my character to develop. Would I be better saving my more in depth thinking to when the GMs are likely to be awake or does it not matter?
It actually might be best to summarize some of those thoughts and desires every now and then and send an email to clok@contrarium.net just to keep us updated. You probably won't get a response, but we do read them and try to keep them in mind.
The lore compels me!

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”