Sharing a room! (Posthumous)

Lun
CLOK Patron

Sharing a room! (Posthumous)

Post by Lun »

I don't exactly know how death mechanics currently work or why they are the way they are IC, but I think it'd be great if when we died in the same room as someone else, we could see their soul.

It'd be like... "Oh, hey, you tried to save me but died. Let's look at this bell together!"
Or... "Got you too, huh? Shame."
Xyra

Re: Sharing a room! (Posthumous)

Post by Xyra »

I think you do actually. Last time I was dead I saw someone else enter the room. I don't know if you can actually talk to them or not though.
Akila
Mentor

Post by Akila »

I could imagine some amusing conversations there. The ability to see one get dragged away as well like "Oh. Seems someone's getting me. I'm sure they'll be back for you soon."
[CHAT - Mayor Bryce of Bryceburgh]: It's that funny metal thing you put in your mouth, Galon, and then it goes "Boing, doing, dwang, dwang, doing, ding, boing, dwahng."
04:06:02 [CHAT - Mayor Bryce of Bryceburgh]: You know, the thing Snoopy plays to help Charlie Brown remember "i before e, except after c"
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

Xyra wrote:I think you do actually. Last time I was dead I saw someone else enter the room. I don't know if you can actually talk to them or not though.
You do enter the same space, but cant see or communicate with each other currently.
Life is like a box of chocolates. The caramel filled ones are the best.
Lun
CLOK Patron

Post by Lun »

Well, I assume the void is somewhere else entirely so we wouldn't be able to see the state of our own or other people's bodies, but it'd be reassuring to know if my rescuer failed to rescue me, or to let the person I was rescuing know I failed, somehow.

Not to mention the void won't be so lonely, that way! Unless it's meant to be soul-crushingly lonely. I guess death is.

Souls communicating is iffy, but simply being able to see each other would be neat.
Xyra

Post by Xyra »

Undying could have death balls, held in the afterlife. It'd be.... well, creepy really, but it would certainly strike at that difference between Undying and everyone else.

Edit: I think the monks might refuse to raise people that attend one though.
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

Lun wrote:Well, I assume the void is somewhere else entirely so we wouldn't be able to see the state of our own or other people's bodies, but it'd be reassuring to know if my rescuer failed to rescue me, or to let the person I was rescuing know I failed, somehow.

Not to mention the void won't be so lonely, that way! Unless it's meant to be soul-crushingly lonely. I guess death is.

Souls communicating is iffy, but simply being able to see each other would be neat.
That could lead into some QUITE interesting mechanics. Being able to see anothers soul could lead to things like seeing how bright their Inner Light shines, How tainted they are, maybe even how deep their connection is to the Gaia. Perhaps alchemy could bring in a "pseudo death" potion that two people could drink and "die" for some time if this was implemented to look at others souls as well.
Xyra

Post by Xyra »

Kunren wrote:
Lun wrote:Well, I assume the void is somewhere else entirely so we wouldn't be able to see the state of our own or other people's bodies, but it'd be reassuring to know if my rescuer failed to rescue me, or to let the person I was rescuing know I failed, somehow.

That could lead into some QUITE interesting mechanics. Being able to see anothers soul could lead to things like seeing how bright their Inner Light shines, How tainted they are, maybe even how deep their connection is to the Gaia. Perhaps alchemy could bring in a "pseudo death" potion that two people could drink and "die" for some time if this was implemented to look at others souls as well.
Talk about meeting your soul mate.
*bu dum pish*
Lun
CLOK Patron

Post by Lun »

Death ball.
I think being able to see someone's purity or taint is a bit meta, but rather than seeing someone's name, like "The soul of Zeel" you might see something like "a pale soul has entered the void" for each person. Or you could associate ESP color with soul color, I guess, but that would be iffy.

But really, the basic idea is just being able to see "Zeel just arrived" and when you look around the room, you see someone else. And you know they dead.
Last edited by Lun on Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

Lun wrote:Image
Death ball.
I think being able to see someone's purity or taint is a bit meta, but rather than seeing someone's name, like "The soul of Zeel" you might see something like "a pale soul has entered the void" for each person. Or you could associate ESP color with soul color, I guess, but that would be iffy.
Why does it sound meta to you?
Lun
CLOK Patron

Post by Lun »

Because it would allow you to assume things you wouldn't know when you were alive. I'm pretty sure that anything that happens while you're dead is OOC, aka the void doesn't really exist. People don't remember post-death, generally.

*Edit disclaimer: I'm not sure if the previous statement is true or false.

But then you would learn "Oh hey that guy is tainted I never would have guessed" or vice versa or any other combination of things that would have normally required actual player interaction.

Sure, you might argue "But I could find out the same thing by watching them IC try to touch something iron!" but the point remains that you'd be gaining OOC knowledge. It'd be confusing for new players to differentiate, as well.

Though I don't disagree that it'd be a COOL feature for players to be able to have customization to their souls, it sounds kind of game-y. You know?
Last edited by Lun on Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

Lun wrote:Because it would allow you to assume things you wouldn't know when you were alive. I'm pretty sure that anything that happens while you're dead is OOC, aka the void doesn't really exist. People don't remember post-death, generally.

But then you would learn "Oh hey that guy is tainted I never would have guessed" or vice versa or any other combination of things that would have normally required actual player interaction.

Sure, you might argue "But I could find out the same thing by watching them IC try to touch something iron!" but the point remains that you'd be gaining OOC knowledge. It'd be confusing for new players to differentiate, as well.
Ah I didn't realize it was all OOC when you die, if it was IC though I feel it would make sense and be an interesting danger to need to watch out for if you didn't want people seeing what your soul looked like.
Xyra

Post by Xyra »

It's only meta if death is OOC, and if all this is added in, then it would be because death isn't OOC. So if it happens it wouldn't be a problem, and if it doesn't, then it isn't a problem :P

Maybe have a handful of rooms to move around in and/or allow souls to hide themselves so that can't be seen.
Lun
CLOK Patron

Post by Lun »

Or have it so that people's souls spawn in hidden, but give them the option to unhide!
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

Lun wrote:Or have it so that people's souls spawn in hidden, but give them the option to unhide!
I feel like that would reduce the danger there that people would have to face if they didn't WANT their souls to show.
Xyra

Post by Xyra »

I don't know, I do like Kunren's suggestion that there be some risk to being 'exposed' in death, and forcing you to actually take effort to hide yourself. Perhaps secretive people could have something done that would let them enter death with their souls hidden, but it wouldn't be the default state.
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

I miss those days back when there was no void and you had to stand there staring at your own body, getting dragged along with it everywhere it was taken. I thought it actually made sense, having the Undying be tethered to their corpse, able to see everything around them, but unable to move very far, unable to interact with anything, quite hellish if you think about it. But the Void also makes sense I suppose, although I like it less. Another thing, if death were still like that, we wouldn't have the annoyance of people continuing to ring the bell after they've been rescued, people would be more patient while dead, being able to see everything happening, and you wouldn't have people departing in the middle of being rescued. I never have understood why we had that aspect changed, I guess to have a place to put the Bell so non-dead folks wouldn't see it and all that.
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.
Xyra

Post by Xyra »

I think for the 'departing while being rescued' it'd be nice to have the flash that people give be notably different when they're in the same room as your corpse. Right now it's a game of 'ring bell' 'flash flash flash' for 'I have your body'. It's usually not too hard to guess if someone has you, but it isn't entirely clear. Something as simple as knowing that the response is next to your body at least lets you know that someone is trying.
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

Xyra wrote:I think for the 'departing while being rescued' it'd be nice to have the flash that people give be notably different when they're in the same room as your corpse. Right now it's a game of 'ring bell' 'flash flash flash' for 'I have your body'. It's usually not too hard to guess if someone has you, but it isn't entirely clear. Something as simple as knowing that the response is next to your body at least lets you know that someone is trying.
I'm gonna post this here because by now I'm sure the average character knows it, so it can be considered OOC knowledge. one "flash" or rescue pulse means someone is coming to rescue you. Two means they have found your body. Three means that they have gotten your body to where it will be resurrected.
Xyra

Post by Xyra »

I'd gathered it was something along those lines, but it'd be very nice to have it be a bit simpler, particularly for new players.
Vaylon

Post by Vaylon »

Lun wrote:I'm pretty sure that anything that happens while you're dead is OOC, aka the void doesn't really exist. People don't remember post-death, generally.
I'm not sure I agree with this, based on what I've seen. Given that the Undying are, in-character, already granted (or cursed) with a supernatural ability to be more or less difficult to permanently kill, it's not a huge leap of plausibility to say that they do remember what they experience while they're dead. Furthermore, given the feel and tone of the message describing a character's existence upon death, I personally interpret it as sensory perception (such as it is) that our characters experience as a result of death.
"I hope you have not been leading a double life, pretending to be wicked and being really good all the time. That would be hypocrisy." - The Importance of Being Earnest, Oscar Wilde
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

We were told to assume in a previous thread that any memories of being dead were very hazy at best.
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

Agreed with Acarin. Our characters aren't supposed to be able to say "Yeah, while I was dead I was just standing around in this black void with nothing but a weird bell around me." I'd say the most precise your character should get is a feeling of being lost, or just a plain sense of nothingness. I always assume the only reason anyone knows about the bell is because of the mental tolling recieved by the death crystals. Souls are ringing some kind of bell to signal they are still around.Of course, nothing is stopping you from making up some weird out-of-bodg experience story to tell everyone when you're revived. Your brain was dead, maybe even damaged, while you were dead, no telling what sorts of false memories might form from it being suddenly revived.
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.
Vaylon

Post by Vaylon »

Acarin wrote:We were told to assume in a previous thread that any memories of being dead were very hazy at best.
Do you have a link to this thread?
"I hope you have not been leading a double life, pretending to be wicked and being really good all the time. That would be hypocrisy." - The Importance of Being Earnest, Oscar Wilde
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Vaylon wrote:
Acarin wrote:We were told to assume in a previous thread that any memories of being dead were very hazy at best.
Do you have a link to this thread?
Starting here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3334&start=25#p18469
(Alexander clenches a fist momentarily, then stops and calms himself with visible effort.)
[FROM Eira (OOC)]: LET IT OUT, MAN!

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”