OOCsay

qinweiqi

OOCsay

Post by qinweiqi »

So, I know we only had the OOCsay command for a day as part of the april fools joke, but I kind of miss it. Can we have OOCsay back?
Sneaky

Re: OOCsay

Post by Sneaky »

Having played muds that had this feature and other muds that were RP enforced and ooc chatter was allowed privately between people in the same room, I can say that, unless this feature was heavily monitored along with warnings of abuse, this would quickly turn into a way for a group of people to speak with eachother out of character about things that had no corilation with the game. In other words, people would be highly tempted to use it like they would Skype, or any other out of character communication and possibly talk about things that had no bearing on events within the game. People might just look for each other in character just to sit around an inn and talk about their RL pets or some such. This would possibly bring about the change from an RP enforced mud to an RP encouraged mud. If you need to speak to someone about events that are going on currently such as having to step away from the keyboard, and you don't want to say it over chat then use tells. If there are multiple people in the room then let them both know, or if it's quick that you need to go, tell one person and ask them to tell the others.
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

Or just use chat. We don't mind someone broadcasting a quick, "Hold on, I gotta go AFK."
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.
Jirato

Post by Jirato »

Just FYI, the OOCSay command never did anything other than send a message to you (and only you, no one else in the room) and the GMs so we could all point and laugh that you fell for the April fool's joke. Yeah, we can be a bit on the evil side sometimes. :-)

We have tell and chat for this, if someone has their chats and tells blocked, then they are most likely doing it for RP immersion and an OOCSay would be unwanted by them.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Vaylon

Post by Vaylon »

Jirato wrote:We have tell and chat for this, if someone has their chats and tells blocked, then they are most likely doing it for RP immersion and an OOCSay would be unwanted by them.
Even when I enable RPHardcore for immersion, I make OOC mistakes: typos, mischans, and the like. Do you simply expect me to not correct those mistakes?
"I hope you have not been leading a double life, pretending to be wicked and being really good all the time. That would be hypocrisy." - The Importance of Being Earnest, Oscar Wilde
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

Vaylon wrote:
Jirato wrote:We have tell and chat for this, if someone has their chats and tells blocked, then they are most likely doing it for RP immersion and an OOCSay would be unwanted by them.
Even when I enable RPHardcore for immersion, I make OOC mistakes: typos, mischans, and the like. Do you simply expect me to not correct those mistakes?
People will almost always understand a typo, even if you don't fix it on chat. If they don't, coughing and then repeating yourself is a fair way to do it. If you mistakenly do an action, people may ignore it if you do, or they may not and you have to live with the consequences. I've been accidentally killed before by people, they couldn't wave that away and had to deal with it IC.
Life is like a box of chocolates. The caramel filled ones are the best.
Elystole

Post by Elystole »

Vaylon wrote:Even when I enable RPHardcore for immersion, I make OOC mistakes: typos, mischans, and the like. Do you simply expect me to not correct those mistakes?
Yes. Most people don't care because they understand the medium, and the ones who do make a big deal out of what was clearly an OOC mistake are assholes.
You overhear the following rumor:
"I saw one of those Shadgard folk come barging into Grif's and shoot one of the patrons on the spot. Shadgard must be a pretty rough place with such outlaws running rampant."
Noctere
GM

Post by Noctere »

Thare is noething wrong with a little typo now and agane.

I consider part of being a good RP'er is not being perfect but being respectful enough to ignore obvious mistakes, odds are you will make some yourself so it's best not to judge.
It's not easy being evil...

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”