Inventory slots and related issues

Barius

Inventory slots and related issues

Post by Barius »

Prompted by a conversation in chat, we decided to compile a few things for the BBS for GMs to look at regarding various inventory issues.

The newest feature (INVENTORY SLOTS) prompted a small discussion on whether there should be three shoulderworn inventory slots as there are presently, or two because a human only has two shoulders. This led to the discussion of the disappearance of the BACK slot, which backpacks used to be worn in. My view, which may or may not be shared by others, falls to either keeping the three shoulder slots, which evens out the lack of the back slot, or return the back slot with the two shoulder slots as previous.

Another issue seems to be hair accessories interfering with helmet wearing. This might be a difficult issue as certain accessories might reasonably legitimately interfere (hairsticks? other potentially sharp/bulky objects that would make wearing a helm difficult?) but others that might not (silk cloth, or other softer items).

These are only a couple things that were discussed, but this thread is open for anything else related to this issue that players might think of.

Lastly, someone suggested an INVENTORY SLOTS ALL command that I think sounds really useful, too. Thoughts?
Jirato
DEV

Re: Inventory slots and related issues

Post by Jirato »

This all started with a misunderstanding over chat. I thought a player was asking why the number of slots was reduced from 3 to 2. Turns out it was never reduced, there ARE three slots. (Well, it may have been 4 in ancient times, but three is plenty)

All my chatter about how "Well, you only have two shoulders, two makes sense" and all was kinda in defense to the assumption that something was changed that wasn't. So yeah, I do think it's a little silly, but with it already at 3, I have no plans to downsize it to 2.

With the three shoulders, I don't really feel we need a dedicated backpack spot either.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
Barius

Post by Barius »

Apologies for the misunderstanding. From the responses we got from you, I at least didn't seem to gather that you were okay with the three slots despite the disappearance of back, and it seemed to spiral on from that. If you clarified that you were okay with it and it was just missed in the discussion, apologies for that too.

I suppose the only valid part of the thread now is the hair accessories?
Jirato
DEV

Post by Jirato »

Unfortunately, there's not really an easy way to differentiate the hair accessories in the code. While it might make sense to have your hair tied back while wearing a helmet, you wouldn't be able to have giant pokey hair sticks or a fascinator underneath a helmet, and as far as the code is concerned, those are exactly the same as a simple tie.
[GMCHAT Uyoku]: Octum is when the octumbunny comes around and lays pumpkins everywhere right?
[GMCHAT Rias]: Dimmes says "oh hai :) u need healz? ill get u dont worry thaum lasers pew pew pew lol"
[CHAT - GameMaster Rias would totally nuke Rooks]: Here's how elemancy works: The freeblegreeble and the zippoflasm have to be combined with the correct ration of himbleplimp, then you add the gargenheimer and adjust the froopulon for the pattern you want, apply some tarratarrtarr, yibble the wantaban, and let 'er rip!
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

Jirato wrote:Unfortunately, there's not really an easy way to differentiate the hair accessories in the code. While it might make sense to have your hair tied back while wearing a helmet, you wouldn't be able to have giant pokey hair sticks or a fascinator underneath a helmet, and as far as the code is concerned, those are exactly the same as a simple tie.
That makes complete sense. I suppose it's one of those things that some of us will have to get used to because at the end of the day it's not that big a deal. Thank you for looking into it. :)
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
Zeik

Post by Zeik »

Barius wrote:Lastly, someone suggested an INVENTORY SLOTS ALL command that I think sounds really useful, too. Thoughts?
Might we still get this? I'm still not used to the amount of slots we have so I tend to buy things thinking they will layer and then they don't and I'm kind of stuck with either selling it back for less or just holding on to it. Especially when it comes to what I can or can not wear under/over armor. It might be second nature to some but having played other MUD's where you can either layer a few items in all areas or just be covered head to toe in junk I still don't always manage to wrap my head around it and it would be helpful for me and possibly others coming in that aren't used to this system also, thanks!
Elystole

Post by Elystole »

So we did lose a slot? I was really confused when I came back and could only wear two should items... but what you're saying is that it is the back slot that went missing so my ruck is actually taking up one of the shoulder slots?
You overhear the following rumor:
"I saw one of those Shadgard folk come barging into Grif's and shoot one of the patrons on the spot. Shadgard must be a pretty rough place with such outlaws running rampant."
Lysse

Post by Lysse »

Elystole wrote:So we did lose a slot? I was really confused when I came back and could only wear two should items... but what you're saying is that it is the back slot that went missing so my ruck is actually taking up one of the shoulder slots?
There's three shoulder slots now, basically.
“There is always a choice."
"You mean I could choose certain death?"
"A choice nevertheless, or perhaps an alternative. You see I believe in freedom. Not many people do, although they will of course protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.”
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

From what I remember, there were always three shoulder slots, plus a back slot. I had proof of this when I logged Drayla back in for the first time when returning from my hiatus. I removed her bow, then couldn't wear it again suddenly because her rucksack had moved from her back slot to a shoulder slot. So yes, we did lose a slot, but it was a while ago.

Personally, I think we should either have two shoulder slots, or four. Three just makes no sense; what, are we waering two things on one shoulder and our other shoulder is just too delicate for more than one thing? I think the third shoulder slot ahould be converted back to the back slot, as the things that used to go there have two straps usually, so they would be worn on both shoulders. Yes, this explains why we only have three shoulder slots, but only if everyone wears a backpack, pack, or other two-strapped item. If you have someone wear a baldric, a quiver, and a satchel, though... Why couldn't they wear a second satchel? (We won't even get into the discussion of the baldric and quiver getting in each others way)
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”