Can we please sit in shallow water?

qinweiqi

Can we please sit in shallow water?

Post by qinweiqi »

Can we sit in shallow water? I get that lying in shallow water could probably be a bad idea, even though people can be knocked prone in shallow areas I think without even getting wet. But can we sit, because this is just silly:

Code: Select all

sit
What, in the water?  You'd get all wet!

swim n
You swim north.
Roundtime: 2 seconds.

swim s
You swim south.
Roundtime: 2 seconds.

sit
What, in the water?  You'd get all wet!

eff
You are currently under the following active effects:
  You are drenched. (54 seconds)

Water slowly drips off you, though you remain drenched.
jilliana

Re: Can we please sit in shallow water?

Post by jilliana »

The question would be: How deep is shallow?

I may be complicating it, but I think there could be something we could do to regain energy as quickly as if we were sitting when we are in shallow water. Maybe lean on something like a fallen log, a tree, or maybe even just kneel instead of sit.
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
qinweiqi

Post by qinweiqi »

Meh, it's less about re-gaining energy and more about sitting and enjoying the waves. It's very relaxing.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Many places are shallow enough to stand on your feet, but deep enough that sitting would put your head below the water level. We might someday go to enough detail in each shallow room to determine HOW shallow a shallow room is, but until then, this won't be possible.
The lore compels me!
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

Definitely makes sense if "shallow" is chest deep. I myself always thought of it as like knee deep, until rias's post,so I can see where the problem Is now.
Life is like a box of chocolates. The caramel filled ones are the best.
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

I think the reasons this is so confusing to people are as follows:

1) When moving into or out of a room with shallow water you "splash" there, implying that your footsteps male splashes, which would only be possible if the water were shallow enough for your foot to leave the water when walking.

2) You do not get wet at all when in these rooms. Two seconds in the rain, you're dripping wet, wading through a room with shallow water, perfectly dry.

3) Combat and movement is not affected by shallow water (with one exception: the wetlands rooms take the most Travel Time to go through, and they all have shallow water in them, so I believe they are related.)

4) The message you get in response to trying to sit or lie down implies that you are not already wet from wading through the water.

5) Getting knocked down in a room with shallow water does nothing besides put you prone. No energy loss, no additional stunning, nothing.

Maybe some of this could be looked at and something changed until tooms are coded with varying degrees of "shallow"? I know personally I find myself imagining each room with shallow water in it about ankle-deep, give or take.
A scrawny alley cat stares after the dog with big green eyes.
Speaking to a scrawny alley cat, you ask, "Friend of yours?"
A scrawny alley cat hisses angrily.
Kiyaani

Post by Kiyaani »

I also assumed it was ankle-calf deep water, but I don't mind not being able to sit in it. I think Rias' solution to make certain shallow areas sittable based on where they are is a good one and one worth waiting for. Remember even if there isn't a mechanic, you can always act out sitting or basking or whatever.

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”