Talent system?

Kunren

Talent system?

Post by Kunren »

I know it would take a while and be quite a lot of work, but would a talent (or proficiency) system be possible? I would imagine it as getting permanent bonuses for a variety of things, a basic example would be getting a small bonus to the swords skill after X amount of hits with a sword that connect. Another could be getting a chance for lessened roundtime when traveling in wilderness after traveling a certain amount of wilderness rooms. I think it would increase the fun if there was only a chance to get the talent once the prerequisites are met. Their could be tiers of talents, or some that require several other differnt talents, like getting a specialy good one after managing to aquired talents for ALL weapon skills. Some could perhaps be only aquirable by gms giving them for good rp. I think this would be interesting to reward stubborn players with "unique"play styles as well, slightly better chance of maintaining your channel when in heavy armor after spending an ungodly amount of time doing that, maybe, that sort of thing. I think this would really make every character even more "unique snowflake". It would also be interesting to discover unique ones, especially if gms encouraged people to keep what talents they have aquired quiet.
Life is like a box of chocolates. The caramel filled ones are the best.
Lavi

Re: Talent system?

Post by Lavi »

I'm kind of interested in this as well. Kind of like Advantage systems I've seen in other games.
[ESP-GRAY - Shadowy-Gray]: No no (player) , you were right, it's wonderful. I think I'll send in my application today. I can't wait to partake in the parties there. I just have one question, will I need to kidnap my own child, or will there be some there for those who are un able to.
Sneaky

Post by Sneaky »

I think it might be neat. Though to really prevent people from using it to min max their character, it should be done possibly like how PokeMon handles their unique stats. That is that the trainer doesn't know what the exact stats are until something is tried. So For example, Coanid might be proficient at lapidary and fire starting, but he wouldn't actually know it until he practiced it for a long time. Like wise, I don't think there should really be a way to check what talents you actually have except from your own speculation and observations.
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

Ooh that'd be cool if the whole system was invisible. Definitely would make talents with tiers and prereqs even harder to get.
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

Kunren wrote:Ooh that'd be cool if the whole system was invisible. Definitely would make talents with tiers and prereqs even harder to get.
Not just that, but it will keep people from trying everything under the sun regardless if their character is interested in that or not just for the benefits.

It's the reason why achievements aren't revealed even if they are OOC.
CHAT - Sir Alexander Candelori: Truly a man is an abomination that does not dip his french fries into his chocolate frosty.
Bryce flatly says, "Just fair warning: If one of those things webs me, I'm going to scream like a girl."
Sleilax

Post by Sleilax »

Something like this would be really cool. The more I play the more I see all kind of cool stuff that could be done with the skill system (and might be behind the scenes).

As for it being 'invisible' I would like this to a degree. Not knowing the prereqs and exact benefits makes sense but I would definitely like to know that I have such a trait.

I did read that skill benefits aren't going to be tied to your guild some point in the future so whatever system emerges may be able to tie into traits.
Kunren

Post by Kunren »

I would love general abilities being tied into this sort of system rather than buying them with riln or something from trainers or something like that.

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”